ARRAY(0xac654a5c)

OXO Good Grips Julienne Peeler
Offered by SM Direct
Price: 16.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Dangerous and terrible, 27 Jun 2011
I purchased the peeler as I thought it would be a great little tool for shredding green papayas, cucumbers and carrots. At first it seemed to work ok but I nearly scrapped my fingers off on one occasion. I've now used the peeler on numerous occasions and I can honestly say it's a dangerous tool. The blade is extremely sharp and dangerous - it's like having a dozen angled razor blade corners with no guard on it to prevent yourself getting injured (the guard it does have is only used for protection whilst storing the product). This is an unsuitable tool for storing in your kitchen if you have kids (in case they have an accident using it). Apart from the fact that it's dangerous, it's also a terrible product. As per one of the previous reviewers comments, it has a tendency to clog up. The reason for this is that it simply does not shred the ends of any vegetables off properly and on a consistent basis. I find myself having to constantly use my fingers to separate the strands of the vegetables. Having done some more research, I've found a couple of products specifically designed to shred vegetables and which are widely available and used in Asia. The brand names are 'Kom Kom' and 'Kiwi'. There's a UK seller that stocks both products and I've just ordered one. They both appear to have guards that protect the user when they are actually using the product. I don't work for any of the companies involved but wanted to make an alternative suggestion as the peelers used in Asia are not widely available in the UK. Please don't waste your money on this particular OXO product. It's such a shame as their products are normally really good.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 17, 2012 2:09 PM BST

Axis Heavy Gauge Chrome Plated Steel Dish Drainer with Cutlery Drainer 35cm x 48cm x 12.5cm

2.0 out of 5 stars Difficult to clean, 26 Nov 2010
I bought this dish rack over a year ago. At first I really liked it as it was different and easy on the eye compared to other dish racks out there. However, I've used it for over year and I'm about to replace it as it has just started to rust. But that's not the only problem. Although it's solidly built, it is also very heavy and therefore it makes cleaning the dish rack an awkward and cumbersome task. Additionally, the metal mesh cutlery holder is very difficult to clean - grime tends to build up in the little holes. I come from London and unfortunately we have hard water here and lots of limescale. As a consequence, the dish rack does pick up limescale very easily and because it's original form is metallic, the limescale is more noticeable. But I'd imagine this isn't a problem if you live in a soft water area. It's a shame because it is a fairly nice looking product but if only it had an anti-rust coating and was made of a little material.

Everyday Harumi: Simple Japanese food for family and friends
Everyday Harumi: Simple Japanese food for family and friends
by Harumi Kurihara
Price: 13.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Japanese home cooking at it's best, 6 Oct 2010
There are not too many Japanese cookbooks out there that I've read and liked but this certainly bucks the trend. For years I steered away from cooking Japanese food at home thinking it was too complicated and difficult. But this book has changed my perception by providing the reader with lots of great home-style dishes to try at home. The dishes I've followed have been very simple to make but absolutely delightful and rewarding.

This book is ideally suited for beginners to intermediate level cooks with an interest in Japanese cooking. I would possibly avoid purchasing this book if your an advanced cook as you might find the recipes too simple.

Pastry: Savoury and Sweet
Pastry: Savoury and Sweet
by Michel Roux
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Mr Roux is a genius!, 6 Oct 2010
Mr Roux is not only a genius but also a legend and thankfully this book doesn't disappoint his fans. It 'does what it says on the tin', and provides the reader with an excellent insight into all things pastry related. I've tried a number of recipes including the apple tart tatin and profiteroles and had rave reviews from family and friends, but all the credit has to go to Mr Roux. I should also mention the instructions are not only clear but for each chapter there are step by step photos on the different types of pastry/dough making - so it's almost foolproof.

The Songs of Sapa
The Songs of Sapa
by Luke Nguyen
Price: 18.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful culinary tour of Vietnam, 6 Oct 2010
This review is from: The Songs of Sapa (Hardcover)
I couldn't agree with the other reviewer's more - this book is stunning, well written, artistic and captures the essence of Vietnamese cuisine and culture. Definitely one of the best cookbooks I've purchased (and I've got a fair few).

Thai Street Food
Thai Street Food
by David Thompson
Price: 24.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely superb, 6 Oct 2010
This review is from: Thai Street Food (Hardcover)
It's been a couple days since I received my copy and I've had a good chance to thoroughly go through the book. Let's start with the negatives - it's a heavy, mammoth-sized book, similar in size/volume to say a Sky HD box but much much heavier. It's by far the largest book I've ever bought, and unfortunately it won't fit on my bookshelf. A slightly smaller and lighter version would have been great (or maybe an iPad app).

'Thai Street Food' is a very different book to David Thompson's 'Thai Food' - in terms of style, layout and instructions it's almost the complete opposite with Thai Food being more 'chic' in design. I'm a fan of both books. 'Thai Food' in essence is an encyclopedia of Thai cuisine with a substantial amount of culture and history thrown in. Having tested many recipes I found the instructions at times far too brief. While there were many recipes without a photo (a pet hate of mine).

'Thai Street Food' is extremely thorough with regards to recipe instructions. Each recipe has a beautiful photo of what the finished dish should look like and how it should be presented. There are lots of other artistic and well-presented photos of Thai street life, markets and culture (compliments to the photographer). The cover is low-key, the pages have a similar appearance to recycled paper and overall it comes across as less polished and chic compared to Thai Food (this shouldn't be interpreted as a negative). The understated appearance is completely understandable - this is a book about street food, not Michelin-type food.

If your a big fan of Thai food, then this book is a must even with the drawback of the awkward size and weight of the book. I've already book marked lots of recipes I'll be testing in the coming months.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 20, 2013 5:48 PM BST

Vietnamese Food
Vietnamese Food
by Anthony Bourdain

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent guide to Vietnamese cooking, 8 Jun 2010
This review is from: Vietnamese Food (Paperback)
This isn't your usual type of cook book. There are lots of very interesting, tasty and unusual dishes (that I've not seen at my local Vietnamese restaurant). But it also gives you a great insight into the author (almost like a very short autobiography). Apart from being an excellent cook book, there are lots of hilariously funny stories from the author. I would highly recommend this book. Please note that there's some strong language used in the book. I didn't find this a problem as it made some of the stories even funnier. My only minor query with the book is that some of the photos do not necessarily correspond to the recipes on the same page. So this might be slightly confusing to somebody trying to follow a few of the recipes. But this is very minor and if you have a basic understanding of Vietnamese cooking then this won't be a problem.

The Food of China: A Journey for Food Lovers (Food of the World)
The Food of China: A Journey for Food Lovers (Food of the World)
by Murdoch Books
Price: 16.13

5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive guide to Chinese cooking, 8 Jun 2010
This is an excellent book, with plenty of photos and detailed instructions (the way cook books should be). I've tried lots of different recipes and I've been really pleased with the results (especially the chilli crab and the Sichuan prawns). I feel like I've been eating like a king recently, with every meal feeling like a banquet! :-) The dishes are surprisingly easier to cook then I had anticipated. The hard work is in sourcing and preparing the ingredients. This shouldn't be a problem if you live near to a Chinese supermarket. Alternatively, you could always order online. This book is an absolute 'must have' if you love Chinese cooking.

Meyer Raymond Blanc by Anolon Twin Pack Skillets
Meyer Raymond Blanc by Anolon Twin Pack Skillets

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent & Durable, 27 May 2010
These pans are exactly as described. I've been using them for the past month or so and they are excellent but that doesn't come as a surprise. I've used Anolon hard anodised products before and they are superb - they don't stick, are easy to clean and highly durable. I've got a set of saucepans from 7-8 years ago and they are still in a very good condition. I've tried cookware from other well known brands and they are just not as good - e.g. my expensive Tefal frying pan quite literally fell apart after two years (handle was falling off). If you buy hard anodised products, I'd recommend you avoid using metal utensils as they may scratch the pans and I'd also periodically scrub the pans with a special hard anodised cleaner. You don't have to, but if you do they'll probably last for years.

Phil Vickery's Puddings
Phil Vickery's Puddings
by Phil Vickery
Price: 16.00

4.0 out of 5 stars If you love puddings..., 27 May 2010
If you love puddings then this is the book for you. There are lots recipes for childhood favourites such as spotted dick and chocolate pudding. However, I have a minor complaint in that there are not enough photos - typically 1 photo for every 4-5 recipes (as a guess). I love cooking and trying out recipes from new cook books. Nice photos really help cooks like myself to decide on which recipes to try out because I'll never get round to cooking everything. It's also reassuring to know what you've cooked vaguely looks like the photo! :-)

Page: 1 | 2