Profile for A. Trapnell > Reviews

Content by A. Trapnell

A. Trapnell "von-trap" (UK, Malmesbury)

I Can Make You Rich
I Can Make You Rich
by Paul McKenna

5.0 out of 5 stars I Can Make You Read, 8 Feb 2011
This review is from: I Can Make You Rich (Paperback)
This is the second of Mr McKenna's books that I've now read and worked through and I'm just setting out on my second major life change since I started, the first life change having happened around the time I read Change Your Life in 7 Days.

The first life change resulted in my going self employed and running my own Business, for the first time ever.

The second life change surrounds running a scaleable Business - the research for which I am currently undertaking as a direct result of having read and worked through I Can Make You Rich.

Like many of us, particularly in the UK, I too had the shutters down when it came to things in life that I either felt I didn't deserve or could not handle. Following Paul's book has changed all that and I don't believe that I can now go back to how I felt and thought before.

If you purchase the book with an open mind, read it, work through the exercises and listen to the CD, I don't really see how you and your life cannot be positively impacted in some way, more than making up for the relatively small purchase price.

Sometimes we need a little helping hand to overcome our internal limiting attitudes, viewpoints and feelings and Paul's clever but common sense approach does work.

So, onwards and upwards avid reader!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 11, 2013 9:47 AM GMT

The Christmas Mystery
The Christmas Mystery
by Jostein Gaarder

5.0 out of 5 stars The Christmas Must-Have, 8 Feb 2011
This review is from: The Christmas Mystery (Paperback)
So you're thinking of buying The Christmas Mystery hey? Well you won't be disappointed. You don't have to be a devout Christian or even a Christian come to that, to enjoy the real story of Christmas and as many people have said here amongst these reviews, it's lovely to read something that re-visits the real story of Christmas, when Christmas seems to have turned into something else entirely.

As I read the book and became mesmerised by the wonderful tale that unfolded before me, I realised that had I had children, I would have read that story to them on each of the Advent days leading up to Christmas. Had my Mum or Dad read this to me when I was little, it would have made Christmas even more special and I would have gone to sleep each Advent night dreaming of Elisabeth on her magical journey back in time with the Angels and Shepherds, Wise men, Kings and sheep and of Joachim, his parents and his exciting, equally magical Advent Calendar.

Don't think, just buy and enjoy.

A Spot of Bother
A Spot of Bother
by Mark Haddon

4.0 out of 5 stars A Spot Of Reading, 8 Feb 2011
This review is from: A Spot of Bother (Paperback)
Not having read the much acclaimed Curious Incident, but having heard good things about it, I found myself clutching A Spot of Bother funnily enough, though I will say that amongst the armful of books I left Waterstones with on that day, a Spot Of was the 3rd of the 3 for 2, and I was under pressure to find the 3rd of the 3 for 2 as a drunken husband awaited picking up from a local bar after an extended festive drinky with clients.

It subsequently (maybe not surprisingly) was the last of my 'hoard' of books to be read.

I found it a little hard to get into to begin with and persevered even though a friend on FB (Facebook) told me she felt it was poor compared with the Curious Incident.

I personally found the craziness of George's journey into near madness slightly hard to believe, but I guess as I haven't gone there myself (not yet anyway), I really can't comment on the acurateness of Haddon's descriptions of how one might decide that a spot of Eczema is in fact Cancer.

That said, by the end of the book, I had really enjoyed it - particularly loving the gathering speed of the oncoming wedding chaos. My only disappointment was that Jamie's 'dream' of himself with Tony in the lounge during the wedding didn't quite come true. I won't go into detail here - anyone who's reading this and has read the book will no doubt know to what I refer. Happy Reading! ;-)

The Original Retro Sweets Gift Cube Box From Dandy Candy - The Perfect Gift For Everyone: Includes 70 Retro Sweets From Your Childhood Memories - Great Stocking Filler or Christmas Gift
Offered by Dandy Candy

5.0 out of 5 stars Retro Candy Box, 10 Jan 2011
Exactly what it says on the box and little free gifts thrown in for the purchaser when despatched - great!

Qualatex Modelling Balloons: Entertainers (100 pack) 260Q
Qualatex Modelling Balloons: Entertainers (100 pack) 260Q
Offered by Pink Fizz Parties Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Modelling Balloons, 10 Jan 2011
Great assortment - you get the occasional one that bursts very early on but get to know which these are. Only received one pack when I ordered two and couldn't then get hold of the seller, but went through the Amazon process and obtained a refund.

Oilatum 100g Soap Bar for Dry Skin
Oilatum 100g Soap Bar for Dry Skin

3.0 out of 5 stars Oilatum Soap, 10 Jan 2011
Personally I found the smell of the soap quite off-putting so haven't continued on with using it, though I'm sure it does it's job very well.

Silver Brumbies of the South
Silver Brumbies of the South
by Elyne Mitchell

5.0 out of 5 stars Girlhood Memories, 1 Aug 2008
I read, re-read and read again this book when I was a youngster. I had a love of horses and riding, but I don't think that being horse-mad is a pre-requisite to enjoying it. You are drawn in very strongly to the powerful characters and to the ethereal-like way in which Thowra and Baringa together and as individual Stallions in their own right, melt through the bush, leaving no track for the arrogant Lightning to follow. I completely agree that you don't need to have read any of the other books in the series to read this one and enjoy the memories, far into your adult years.

The God of Small Things
The God of Small Things
by Arundhati Roy

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoy this..., 15 Sep 2004
A book that was passed to me by a colleague, it sat on the floor beside my bed for more weeks than I care to remember. Partly due to the fact that I was already reading several other books, partly because I like to choose the books I read and really wasn't sure that this was going to be my kind of read at all.
Well, on eventually picking it up, this book altered my perception of reading completely, and my choice of book hasn't been the same since, so it really has had quite an impact on this country girl.
True, it took some doing in parts, sometimes clinging onto the thread of where we were in time was a challenge, but I fear this may be more down to my immaturity as a reader than to the writing talent of the Author.
A good book, an enjoyable read and a fascinating insight - thank you:-)

The Piano Tuner
The Piano Tuner
by Daniel Mason

3.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable book, 15 Sep 2004
This review is from: The Piano Tuner (Paperback)
Contrary to some of the reviews that this book has received, I for one enjoyed it. A good book is one that I find very hard to put down, one that so envelopes me with it's story and the images that it's text brings to mind, that I have to read on to the very end as soon as is humanly possible. This is one such book. Some have said it was weak - I can perhaps see why they felt this way, but for someone such as myself who is very new to reading about India, Burma and Malaysia, I found it absolutely fascinating.
I won't pretend that I wasn't disappointed with the Author's choice of ending, surprised even, but I view each book as a separate learning curve in itself - would one avoid reading every book or viewing every film that didn't receive totally positive reviews? What a very boring and uninteresting world that would be. I prefer to make my own mind up about which books I read and am glad that I took the time to pick this one up. Maybe you should make your own mind up too...?