Profile for Andy > Reviews

Content by Andy

Andy "Andrew" (Wishaw Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2
Daffodil WMS500W 2.4GHz Nano Wireless Mouse with Easily Adjustable DPI, powered by 2xAAA Batteries (Included) - White

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't fault it., 9 Jun 2014
I needed a controller after my original mouse and my trackpad failed in short order, and ordered this as a stopgap while considering my options. I can't fault this. So far, I've had no issues whatsoever, a fantastic product and incredible value for money.

God Save the Queen: Book 1 of the Immortal Empire
God Save the Queen: Book 1 of the Immortal Empire
by Kate Locke
Price: 5.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun!, 13 Jan 2013
Great fun! Smart, sassy, sexy and times gripping and brutal. I picked the book up as a present for a friend as I thought it looked a lot of fun... and being a typical guy, the cover was attractive! Good, strong characters with plenty of twists and turns. I look forward to reading more about Xandra and her world next month when the sequel is released!

Dara O Briain - Craic Dealer - Live 2012 [DVD]
Dara O Briain - Craic Dealer - Live 2012 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Dara O Briain
Offered by The Happy Zombie
Price: 3.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 6 Nov 2012
I saw the show in Glasgow a few weeks back and loved it, the man is a genius and had the entire audience in stitches for the full 2 hours... not sure how much of the show I actually saw as I was doubled up with laughter for most of the time... if the DVD is half as good as the actual show, it'll be woderful! The easiest 5 stars I've given!

11.22.63
11.22.63
by Stephen King
Price: 8.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific, 14 Dec 2011
This review is from: 11.22.63 (Hardcover)
As good as any time travel novel I've read. Thought provoking too... what would you change if you had the opportunity?

I was reminded as I read of the novel 'Time and Again' by Jack Finney, which interestingly, King mentions in his afterward as perhaps the greatest time travel novel. I have to agree with him on that one, but King himself may come a close second with 11.22.63.

I know a fair bit of the era since the late 50's and early 60's was the era of my mum's generation, and to me, King has the feel just right, based on what I've been told.

The book was certainly addictive, nigh on impossible for me to put down, and gripped in the way that all good thrillers do, I just had to keep reading and finish to find out what happened to all the protagonists.

Highly recommended, and if you enjoy it, give Jack Finney's book a try too!

A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 1)
A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 1)
Price: 1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 20 July 2011
I'm a good way into book 2 of this saga, having read 'Game of Thrones' a month or so back. An excellent piece of work, complex and full of duplicitous characters in a rich, highly textured world. I've read some of the negative reviews here, and, well, it'd be boring if we all felt the same way about things! I don't want to read a book full of characters I like or admire, I love twists and turns, and characters you can't be sure of - Tyrion Lannister has fast become one of my favourite characters in any series of novels.

The book is complicated, there are lots of storylines, characters and families, there's a lot of politics and double dealing, but I love all that. This is the best fantasy I've read in years, by a mile.

Proof of Life
Proof of Life
by Karen Campbell

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 29 Jun 2011
This review is from: Proof of Life (Hardcover)
I picked up the first of Karen Campbell's book purely because she shares a name with one of my friends. The fact it was set in Glasgow was a nice coincidence too as it's a place I know and love (and also associated with my namesake friend!) However, once the book was purchased and I started to read it, I was hooked and read the book in one sitting (airport delays do have their advantages!)

Anna Cameron was a character I was immediately taken with and one I became extremely fond of in that book, and the subsequent three. I pre-ordered 'Proof of Life' early on and was anxious to read it. While I didn't finish this book in one sitting, I found it extremely hard to put down and enjoyed it immensely.

I can't recommend 'Proof of Life' too highly. As usual, it's a gripping story and all of Ms Campbell's characters are well rounded and incredibly human. A great read, and I'd challenge anyone who's a fan of crime fiction not to get reeled in and have an enjoyable time reading Karen Campbell's novels.

Doctor Who - Planet of the Spiders [DVD] [1974]
Doctor Who - Planet of the Spiders [DVD] [1974]
Dvd ~ Jon Pertwee
Price: 6.25

4.0 out of 5 stars Just ordered, 20 April 2011
I have fond memories of this story, Jon Pertwee being my favourite Doctor, and Sarah Jane one of my favourite companions. How sad that this should be released this week, having just learned of the sad loss of Elisabeth Sladen. A fitting, if coincidental, tribute to Elisabeth, a piece of many childhoods.

The rating is based on my my memory of the series, not a recent viewing, so it may be coloured by my rose tinted memory!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 20, 2011 9:05 PM BST

Love, Sex and Tesco's Finest Cava
Love, Sex and Tesco's Finest Cava
Price: 1.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good fun!, 29 Mar 2011
I finished the book last night, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Hardly the best thing I've ever read, but it was great fun and very funny in parts. The two main characters, Rob and Jen, were well rounded and human, and yes, frustrating at times. But who wants to read a book about perfect people who get everything right all the time? I don't anyway, I think that'd be pretty dull reading!

I've enjoyed a bit of chick lit over the years, particularly Marian Keyes and Cecelia Ahern and it's nice to read something along similar lines, but with a bit of a male slant to it. Well done Steve Carter!

Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
by Michael Moorcock
Price: 16.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A lovely romp!, 3 Feb 2011
I've always been a big Doctor Who fan, ever since the Jon Pertwee years, and I read many Michael Moorcock novels during my twenties and enjoyed them immensely. When I first learned about this novel, I was very excited, and having received it at Christmas looked forward to reading it.

I found it a little difficult at first, but then I stepped back, took a few deep breaths, and realised that, essentially, this is a Michael Moorcock novel that's about Doctor Who, rather then being a Doctor Who novel written by Moorcock. With that in mind, I continued reading and got a great deal out of it. Of course, it's not perfect but it was very enjoyable, heavy on the sci-fi but also heavy on the humour too. It was easy to visualise Matt Smith's Doctor, and also the lovely Amy, and all the supporting characters were a lot of fun.

Had I never read a Moorcock novel, I guess I may have been disappointed, but I loved it.

Quite thought provoking in it's own way too... imagining our own society and history from the perspective of 50,000 years into the future was interesting, and made me wonder about our own attitudes towards our history and how accurate our portrayals and understanding of the past actually is.

In Search of Alan Gilzean: The lost legacy of a Dundee and Spurs legend
In Search of Alan Gilzean: The lost legacy of a Dundee and Spurs legend
by James Morgan

4.0 out of 5 stars Terrific!, 31 Jan 2011
A thoroughly enjoyable book about a guy that comes across as a complete gent, and much beloved by all who knew him. I'm a lifelong Spurs fan, unfortunately a fraction too young to recall Gillie very well, though I remember his presence in the days before I really got into the game.

The Dundee portion was as fascinating to me as the Spurs bits. (Ian Ure estimates his total career earnings at 65,000, about what the likes of Terry earn in 3 days, and this from a player that spent much of his career at Arsenal and Manchester United.) I know times have changed, but have they changed for the better in our national game?

The book wasn't perfect, but Morgan does a terrific job in piecing together the career of this elusive legend of the British game, and a name that deserves a larger legacy than he has.

Page: 1 | 2