Profile for DaTDeS > Reviews

Content by DaTDeS

DaTDeS (Hamburg)

Page: 1 | 2
Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (Original Soundtrack)
Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (Original Soundtrack)

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding music!, 27 Aug. 2015
While playing the game I noticed that this music is rather special. However, when I got the album, I completely fell in love with the gorgeous melodies, and the performances of the vocalists and musicians! I listen to music while I work on my paintings, and I must have listened to this album a few dozen times by now, in the two weeks since I got the album. You don't need to have played the game in order to appreciate the music, because it's not un-melodic "incidental soundtrack" music, but instead works as an album of classical music inspired by Pastoral and English Renaissance music.

John Sinclair - Episode 6: The Vampire Graveyard (John Sinclair: A Horror Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars Spooky and brutal!, 31 May 2015
This is the last episode of Season 1, and it doesn't disappoint. It's an exciting read, but the overall feeling I got from it: it's dark and brutal. Apart from vampires, this time we also get to meet "normal" human beings who at times are more disturbing and violent than the supernatural enemies of this story. And aside from some eerie and spooky moments, there are some very graphic and gory scenes in this book that you would never get in a Hammer Horror movie, or most other standard horror films for that matter. There are things books can do that films can't, or won't. I'm also pleased with the transformation the lead character has undergone. He started out as relatively cocky, even arrogant, and has since become a lot more sympathetic, humbled by the events he's had to live through. I don't want to spoil anything, but the ending of this story makes you desperately hope that this series will continue! I hope so.

John Sinclair - Episode 5: Dark Pharaoh (John Sinclair: A Horror Series)
John Sinclair - Episode 5: Dark Pharaoh (John Sinclair: A Horror Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars An adventure from London to Egypt., 30 April 2015
I very much enjoyed this fifth episode of "John Sinclair" by Gabriel Conroy, based on the original German story by Jason Dark. Since I was already familiar with the original German story from 1974, I'm extremely pleased with this updated and re-written version! I enjoyed reading how the main characters have been given a backstory, and how they interact with each other.
Overall, this episode is much less gory and scary than some of the previous episodes, and it feels more like an action adventure, with chases and gunfire - more James Bond - which is a major part of "John Sinclair", sometimes scary, sometimes action, but always with a dash of humour.
I'm also pleased that John is starting to become warmer, nicer, more likable.
I was thinking about giving it only four stars instead of five, because I'm not overly keen on Egyptian stories, however, I still couldn't put it down, and was thoroughly entertained.

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies [DVD] [2015]
The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies [DVD] [2015]
Dvd ~ Martin Freeman

2.0 out of 5 stars But I really enjoyed The Lord of the Rings movie trilogy, 28 April 2015
I have never read The Hobbit. But I really enjoyed The Lord of the Rings movie trilogy. I enjoyed the first Hobbit film. I felt indifferent about the second one - too long, too many characters I couldn't connect with (for example, I love Stephen Fry, but his character added nothing). But this third one is the worst of all. Despite the beautiful costumes and set designs, I failed to recognise an interesting or engaging plot. There is an extremely long battle where my mind kept switching off, and it felt as though I was watching someone play a computer game on youtube. Absolutely nothing felt "real". The script and acting is cringe-worthy. Some really good actors have to deliver some awful lines, and thus come across as mediocre drama students. Especially the Galadriel turning evil scene, or whatever that was. Instead of releasing "extended" movie editions, they should consider editing the three movies down into one great movie, or two at the most. But as it is, I cannot say I feel the urge to watch this again.

John Sinclair - Episode 4: A Feast of Blood (John Sinclair: A Horror Series)
John Sinclair - Episode 4: A Feast of Blood (John Sinclair: A Horror Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars Spooky vampires!, 10 April 2015
Episode 4 was fantastic. I don't know what it is, but these books are difficult to put down once you've started. Even though I thoroughly enjoyed the previous editions, this one was the first that made me actually feel scared - it's very spooky, especially the scenes in a pitch black forest, with ghostly vampires around... Oh, and that phonecall......very creepy! I also liked the bits that hint at the larger picture of the series, and in this episode there are a few more of those jigsaw pieces falling into place.

John Sinclair - Episode 3: Dr. Satanos (John Sinclair: A Horror Series)
John Sinclair - Episode 3: Dr. Satanos (John Sinclair: A Horror Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars Gruesomely entertaining., 7 April 2015
Wow, what a thrill ride! So far, this has been my favourite. If this were a movie, it would probably get banned in many countries, because it's extremely gruesome and gory! This story is set in Cornwall and about a psychopathic surgeon, and has a touch of "Frankenstein" about it, although Frankenstein is a kid's story compared to this. However, despite the utter darkness here, there's still a lot of humour to be found throughout the book. I read it in one sitting, and am looking forward to more.

Breaking Glass Barefoot
Breaking Glass Barefoot
by Hazel O'Connor

5.0 out of 5 stars A true page turner!, 6 April 2015
I found it quite shocking to read what this woman had to endure. But at the same time, I was fascinated and feel inspired by her strength and spirit.

John Sinclair - Episode 2: The Lord of Death (John Sinclair: A Horror Series)
John Sinclair - Episode 2: The Lord of Death (John Sinclair: A Horror Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great second episode!, 6 April 2015
While the first episode felt like a classic gothic Hammer Horror tale, this second part couldn't be further away from it. Among other locations, it's set in New York and Mexico, and often felt like an adventure thriller, with added humour and quite a bit of gore. I found this to be a true page turner and a lot of fun,

John Sinclair - Episode 1: Curse of the Undead (John Sinclair: A Horror Series)
John Sinclair - Episode 1: Curse of the Undead (John Sinclair: A Horror Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars A great start, 28 Mar. 2015
It's a great introduction to a new horror series. This particular episode feels very much like a classic gothic hammer horror type story, except it's set in modern day. Aside from being spooky, it also contains a lot of witty humour. The story is self-contained, but there are a few things that hint at a larger picture. I would also recommend the full cast audio drama edition of this story.

Curse of the Undead (John Sinclair - Episode 1)
Curse of the Undead (John Sinclair - Episode 1)
Offered by Audible Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic new audio drama!, 27 Mar. 2015
I'm very impressed with this audio drama. It's a full cast production with sound effects and incidental music, and it's very well produced. Some of the descriptions of the dead are slightly "gory", but overall it's an atmospheric little horror story. I would say it's even suitable for teenagers who are into zombies and the like. The acting is good, it's got enough humour, and even though it's a self-contained story, there are a few things that hint at a larger picture and make me look forward to future episodes.

Page: 1 | 2