Profile for Lotus-flower > Reviews

Content by Lotus-flower

Lotus-flower "lotus-flower" (Around)

What Do Druids Believe? (What Do We Believe)
What Do Druids Believe? (What Do We Believe)
by Philip Carr-Gomm
Price: 6.07

3.0 out of 5 stars Depends if you know a druid or not., 20 Aug 2014
While I admire the author and the focus he has bought to modern druidry, I admit I struggled with reading this book. It is difficult to pin down exactly what druids believe, so full marks for trying. If you don't know a druid to have a chat to, then I would say to buy this book. If you do know a druid (or druids) then have a good long chat with them instead.

Doctor Who Wallet
Doctor Who Wallet
Offered by scificollectorshop
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Limited space inside, 14 Nov 2013
This review is from: Doctor Who TARDIS Wallet (Toy)
Being a Dr Who wallet I expected the space inside to be infinitely large. Instead it is resolutely finite. Think the manufacturers might have made an error.

Odalisque (Percheron Saga)
Odalisque (Percheron Saga)
by Fiona McIntosh
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

3.0 out of 5 stars Well written but formulaic, 11 Oct 2013
I'll say this, I kept reading the book. It was well written, I was on a train with a long journey, I decided it was worth reading rather than looking out the window.

BUT, and this is a big but, the elements of the plot are rather clichéd and the plot predictable.
- Cruel Chief Eunuch? Tick.
- Inheriting son's mother tries to rule in his place? Tick.
- Seemingly mad dwarf is actually sane and intelligent? Tick.
- Warring with another nation? Tick.
- Member of the harem to be punished for escaping? Tick.
- Our hero falls in love with this harem member? Tick.
- Nice map with mountains on? Tick. (Readers of Dianne Wynne Jones's Tough Guide To Fantasyland will follow me here).
- Battle of good and evil? Ti.... Oh hold on. No. It's not quite that simple. And because of this makes the book and it's plot redeemable.

Yes I enjoyed reading it, yet I also sniggered slightly at the slight predictability of a lot of it. Read it, but don't expect to be in awe of it.

The Art of R Programming: A Tour of Statistical Software Design
The Art of R Programming: A Tour of Statistical Software Design
by Norman Matloff
Price: 20.74

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful, but needs a glossary, 6 Sep 2013
I needed some advanced statistical software and R came highly recommended. Having downloaded the software it became rapidly apparent I would need a guide. I have no background in computer program and the Amazon.co.uk reviews indicated this was the book for me. While I am finding the book useful as I slowly get to grips with how R runs, I would disagree about not needing previous computer programming experience. While the author explains some terms used, eg %%, I am left baffled by others and have to resort to online guides (which I was trying to avoid) in order to make sure I understand everything. If the author had included a simple glossary so I could understand why terms such as "==" are required, then I probably would have been all the way through the book by now and a competent R user. These may be simple for those with basic computer programming, but they are baffling to a newbie!

This all said I would recommend the book because it has increased my knowledge. The layout is good and the level of usage builds up gradually. However external sources are also required, hence my four star rating.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 19, 2013 1:53 PM BST

York 20kg Cast Iron Dumbbell Set
York 20kg Cast Iron Dumbbell Set
Price: 34.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Spin lock woes, 19 April 2013
Good value for money but like a lot of people I have a problem with the spin lock for the weights not fitting properly. I have the tools to clean up the threads and make them work, but I shouldn't have to do this. The weights also smell of some sort of oil, which is very strange.

Dragon Haven (The Rain Wild Chronicles, Book 2)
Dragon Haven (The Rain Wild Chronicles, Book 2)
by Robin Hobb

5.0 out of 5 stars But I still want more!, 10 Mar 2010
Firstly a warning to anyone who is buying this book. Make sure you have read the predecessor, The Dragon Keeper, before starting this one. It picks up exactly where Dragon Keeper left off with very little in the way of explaination.
Hobb continues to write gripping narative with yet another book by her causing me to stay up to the early hours to finish it. Development of the charecters was excellent and not always along predicted routes, which is what makes the book worth reading.
If I wanted to be picky I could say that really there are too many charecters being followed and this sometimes detracts from the story line by the rapid changing of views. Yet this perhaps adds to the charm of the book, making it clear it is not in the Assassin vain. This book is about a group, not an individual.
For anyone who is a fan of the Liveship and Assassin books, this answers some questions. Not all though! Hobb has the good sense to leave our imagination to fill in what happens at the end of the epic journey started in Dragon Keeper, without feeling you have been cheated of plot.

Frostbitten: A New Hunt Begins... and an Ancient Secret Is Revealed (Otherworld)
by Kelley Armstrong
Price: 13.39

4.0 out of 5 stars It's not easy being female in a male world., 24 Oct 2009
As ever Kelley Armstrong weaves a plot that makes it hard to put the book down. In this book we see Elena and Clay heading up the wild northern state of Alaska. Interwoven to the central plot of dealing with rouge werewolves is Elena's fears from the past and the worries that should she become the pack Alpha her relationship with Clay will change. Any woman that has worked in a male dominated environment and been placed in a position of authority will empathise with Elena as she struggles to come to terms with what has been requested to her. Somehow it makes Elena even more real as a character.
The only thing that stops me from giving this book five marks is the rather predictable way the pack of rouge werewolves is dealt with. Yes, there were some surprises in the plot, but I did feel it snaked it's way to an ending that was inevitable.
But don't let that put you off! An enjoyable read, even if you have never read any of the other books in the series.

Dragonology: The Complete Book of Dragons (Ology Series)
Dragonology: The Complete Book of Dragons (Ology Series)
by Dugald Steer
Price: 13.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful dragons, 14 Sep 2009
This is a charming interactive book which takes a lighthearted look at the types of dragons and their make-up. It comes with tips on how to befriend a dragon, what benfits (and drawbacks) items such as dragon dung have and the reasons why flame-proof notebooks and capes are essential.
I was utterly charmed by this book and recomend it to all ages.