Profile for Rory Archibald > Reviews

Content by Rory Archibald

Rory Archibald

Compucessory Monitor Screen Riser 67mm Stackable 1 Drawer W307xD337xH70mm Black Ref CCS25307
Offered by Office Nerd

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for me, 3 May 2013
These stands are exactly the right height for me and the built-in drawers mean I can finally see parts of my desk again. Build quality seems solid so far so really can't fault them.

RHA MA450i Noise Isolating In Ear Earphones with Remote and Microphone - Black
RHA MA450i Noise Isolating In Ear Earphones with Remote and Microphone - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding quality, 3 May 2013
These headphones are superb on all counts. The noise isolation is great (except I've almost missed my train stop a few times because I've been oblivious to the outside world), the sound quality is easily as good as any headphones I've had and for the money I really don't think you can beat these - I genuinely wasn't expecting this quality at this price.

The mic and remote work really well too, unlike some others I've had.

All in all I cannot recommend them highly enough.

World of Data® 2 Way Scart Splitter (Switched) - 21-pin (Fully Wired) - Audio & Video (AV) - 1 Male to 2 x Female - 0.4m Cable - Stylish Silver Finish
Offered by World of Data Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars More or less works, 22 Feb 2013
I bought this because we have an old TV with only one SCART input in a cupboard in the bedroom and it's annoying to keep unplugging either the Sky or the DVD player.

Although this does make life easier because I no longer have to unplug anything, I'm not sure what the switch is for. If both input devices are powered on, the TV displays one picture superimposed on the other regardless of what position the switch is in (in fact using the switch just adds an annoying noise). On the bright side, simply putting the Sky box in standby mode alleviates the problem so, as I said in the title, it more or less works for my needs even if it doesn't work as I think it should.

It may simply be that I have a faulty item but as it only cost a couple of quid and it does make my life easier, I honestly can't be bothered to return it.

I should also point out that I have no issue with the seller - good prompt service on that front.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, 12 Feb 2013
Arrived quickly, and I think they represent excellent value for money as well as being good quality. Perfect for posting CDs or DVDs.

DAX Formulas for PowerPivot: A Simple Guide to the Excel Revolution
DAX Formulas for PowerPivot: A Simple Guide to the Excel Revolution

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent introduction to PowerPivot, 12 Feb 2013
As an Excel guy rather than a BI specialist per se, this is exactly the sort of book I needed as an "in" to PowerPivot. (I already had Art Tennick's DAX formulas book, Russo and Ferrari's 'Give your data meaning' as well as Bill Jelen's 'PowerPivot for the Data Analyst before I purchased this).

It's written in terms a simple Excel nerd can understand and Rob's, dare I say corny, enthusiasm is really quite infectious - if you've read his blog, you know what I mean. It's pretty clear how highly he regards the product!

The chapters are short and to the point, whilst also giving clear examples and the sort of incidental tips and tricks that can make such books invaluable to me. I have the Kindle version of this so I can read a couple of chapters on the train in the morning and experiment once I get to work.

In conjunction with Bill J's book, I think this will put most Excel people on a very good footing with PowerPivot. (The other two books I mentioned are also very well-written with plenty of detailed information and examples and are great resources once you have the basics under your belt)