Profile for Boing > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 939

Boing (UK)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17
TASSIMO Cadbury Hot Chocolate Drink 16 discs, 8 servings (Pack of 5, Total 80 discs/pods, 40 servings)
Offered by Premier Life Store

3.0 out of 5 stars WARM the pod up first!, 31 Dec. 2014
It's okay, but not great. A little too sweet, it only fills a small cup, and unless you warm the pod first very little of the chocolate concentrate actually comes out. I usually pour boiling water into my cup to warm it up before making the drink, and I give the pod a few minutes to warm up by dunking it in that water. It works, but you should not have to go through such a palaver when the idea of the Tassimo system is to make drinks with the push of a button.

Philips Sonicare HX9112/02 FlexCare Platinum Rechargeable Toothbrush
Philips Sonicare HX9112/02 FlexCare Platinum Rechargeable Toothbrush

5.0 out of 5 stars Instant Convert, 23 Aug. 2014
I treated myself to this when it was on Deal of the Day for sixty-eight quid, and I am so glad I did. In the promo video one of the people says this gets your teeth "ridiculously clean". She's not wrong!

It's really easy to use, and does a cracking job. I am now a full convert and won't ever go back to a manual brush.

I have not had any serious dental issues as I take reasonable care of my teeth, but recently I have started to develop a couple of sensitive spots. These sensitive spots persisted despite me using enamel repair toothpaste/mouthwash. After just FOUR DAYS with this new brush the sensitive areas disappeared altogether. I did not encounter any of the gum bleeds during the initial week of use which some users report. I also noticed a significant lightening in the shade of my teeth, and the gradual removal of some dark stains which accumulated when I was a smoker.

One thing that surprised me is just how brief a two minute brushing period is when you have a device like this to time it for you. I had always believed that I was under-brushing, but as it turns out time compresses when you use a manual brush. I found you have to be quite nippy with this thing to hit every surface. It does such a thorough job though that you can move it around the mouth much more quickly than you might expect.

The blurb says the InterCare heads remove six times more plaque than manual brushing (why then is the DiamondClean system more expensive when those heads only remove twice as much plaque?). Having flossed manually after using the brush I am inclined to believe that blurb. Virtually nothing came out using dental floss, and an interdental brush only lifted small amounts of matter shortly after eating. The incredibly clean feeling apparently really does come from the teeth being incredibly clean!

If you are coming from a manual toothbrush, I would recommend taking the plunge. I really doubt that you will have any regrets.

Vinsic 5-Ports 40W Smart Power USB Charger, Desktop USB Charger Adapter for iPhone 5S 5 4S, iPad, Samsung Galaxy, HTC, Nexus, Motorola, Cellphone, Tablets
Offered by High Tech International

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely Recommended, 23 Aug. 2014
I am genuinely surprised by the quality of this product. Considering it is one of the cheapest devices of its type it is pretty good. I was not expecting much at all, but on opening my parcel the sturdy and neat packaging gave me immediate optimism. The device itself turned out to be actually quite well made: unlike other third party products I have ended up with this one feels relatively solid. A far cry from the tacky plastic shell I was expecting to receive!

It's currently under the sofa charging a pair of wireless headphones. I did notice the slight whistling noise that some other reviewers mentioned, but I should stress I almost had the thing in my ear before I could hear it (and my hearing is pretty good). The whistle is only evident when a device is charging, and I can't hear it at all when it's a couple of feet away. I suppose it is possible that a proportion of these devices have a more serious noise issue, but looking at the spread of reviews it appears the chances of getting a duff one are quite low.

The only criticism I can really make is that some of the USB ports don't seem quite straight, but they work fine and I don't really feel that's worth docking the product by a whole star. In fact now I have established this is a decent product, I am ordering another straight away to go behind the TV for charging 3D glasses and game pads.

Love it when a plan comes together!

Rybond Office Round Magnets - Fridge Magnets Whiteboard Magnets - Plastic covered with magnetic base - 25mm [Pack 10]
Offered by Rybond

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark Magic, 24 July 2014
These aren't just attractive thingummybobs, they are also forcefully attracted to ferrous metals! It's a bit spooky, but after some experimentation I discovered that this enigmatic magic can be used to pin items of paper and card to a refrigerator door.

This is clearly meddling with the dark arts, but I think it's such a convenient gimmick that it's likely to stick. I'll repent on my deathbed.

(You get ten magnets, two each of yellow, green, red, black, and blue. Each one is slightly larger than a pound coin.)

eSynic 3.5" USB External Floppy Disk Drive Diskette 1.44MB FDD for Laptop PC - Compatible with Windows 98/SE/2000/ME/XP/VISTA/Windows 7
Offered by EsynicDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and it Works, 24 July 2014
This drive is basically "plug and play" on Windows 7. I bought it to recover files from some old discs (which Windows doesn't understand, as it turns out) because there is no floppy drive in my desktop computer. As it turns out I had a spare drive in my electronic bits and pieces box, but hey... that's not eSynic's fault. Their product works fine! And it's not like it broke the bank. I remember paying sixty quid for an external drive in the Nineties [smokes pipe].

Reel Heroes: Doom [Blu-ray] [2005]
Reel Heroes: Doom [Blu-ray] [2005]
Dvd ~ Karl Urban

4.0 out of 5 stars Great transfer, Good fun, 31 Aug. 2013
I bought this film on DVD years ago and watched it once; it was dark throughout much of the action scenes so it never looked as good as it should have done. Since it was on offer on Blu-Ray I took a chance and I'm glad to say this version of it has a much better picture: it's cleaned up really well, and you can see much more of what's going on. There is also some footage that is not in the DVD version.

The plot and dialogue are standard schlock-horror "let's throw a science fiction popcorn muncher together" material, but to be honest if I'm putting a movie like this in the drive, it means all I want is a couple of hours of brainless fun. And it's hell-beasts versus BFGs, so it basically delivers.

Don't expect a carefully and lovingly adapted version of the games, and you'll save yourself some disappointment. It's only tangentially related. The only complaint I'd have is that the writers introduce some very interesting concepts which they then do very little with, and the main plot seems to contradict itself a few times (everyone's in quarantine. So let's send them to Earth! No wait, they're in quarantine. Hold on, I forgot, we're still in jeopardy right? How about them, are they in jeopardy too? Okay we'd better send them to Earth. Oh no we sent them to Earth, we've put Earth in jeopardy! Are we still in quarantine? etc etc).
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 24, 2014 10:05 AM BST

Three Mobile Broadband Ready to Go 3GB Preloaded Data Standard SIM for 3G Tablets

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the Ticket, 27 Jun. 2013
After moving I had no internet for months, and ended up getting a Huawei mobile broadband pod from 3. Because everything I own wanted a software update by then, I rattled through my monthly allowance in no time. Bought one of these SIM cards to tide me over to the next month, and it was ideal.

All I had to do was stick this SIM in my device and it worked right away. When I visited the device interface in my web browser, and navigated to My3, the site automatically recognised which SIM I was using and showed me the correct balance. All easy and seamless!

Not the best value data when you're on a monthly contract, but for me it was a perfect way to bridge the gap between allowances when I ran out. And it sure beats the laughable "top-up" prices that My3 offers!

Birlea Tetras 4ft6 Double Metal Bed, Silver & Beech
Birlea Tetras 4ft6 Double Metal Bed, Silver & Beech
Offered by Home Discount Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and Cheerful, 27 Jun. 2013
I bought this for a semi-furnished rental, instead of splashing out on a decent bed when I'll likely be moving in about a year. So far it seems perfectly adequate. Better than the one I broke anyway, which was interesting to sleep on at such a jaunty angle but not terribly comfortable.

The bed comes in four boxes, with screws/fittings, tools, and instructions supplied. It took me just about an hour to build it, and it was pretty easy even without any helping hands. All that's involved is a bunch of Allen key and spanner work, plus some snapping together of plastic caps for the slats. No arc welder required.

The "sprung" slats are in fact glued wood so will probably lose their springiness quite quickly (in fact I've just changed the cover on my mattress and after just two nights sleep, the slats on one side are noticeably less curved).
There are two sets of slats, one on each side of the bed, so if you're a middle lane hogger you won't get any springiness at all. The slats connect to a central beam which has three metal support legs at equal intervals. This could make it impractical to hide under the bed in the event of a psycho clown intrusion.

Due to the design of the bed, if you are planning on using a valance it will have to be one where the side and end flaps are independent, rather than one that has a continuous skirt. This is because the legs and headboard/footboard are "outside" where the valance wants to drop, but obviously still connected to the frame. I have a cheap Asda valance so I was prepared to fix that problem with scissors.

Not the best quality, but for this kind of money I am pretty pleased so far. As usual if any problems arise in the future, I will update the review.

Commando [Blu-ray] [1985]
Commando [Blu-ray] [1985]
Dvd ~ Arnold Schwarzenegger
Offered by rsdvd

5.0 out of 5 stars The Blu-Ray IS the Uncut Version, 27 Jun. 2013
I bought the Region B Blu-Ray with the ASIN number B0010VXMRQ in May 2013.

I can confirm that IS the uncut version, complete with limb-chopping woodshed antics.

The picture is great considering the age of the film and the probable lack of care in looking after the master prints. The audio is okay but could have done with a bit more restoration work; in some places it lacks clarity, and a film with this many explosions ought to have the floorboards rattling a bit more often.

There aren't any extras unless you count trailers. But to be honest, I was happy just to be able to watch this classic Arnie-fest in HD. For added hilarity, get on the interwebs afterwards and watch "Commando: The Musical".
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 24, 2014 10:06 AM BST

Grass (S.F. MASTERWORKS)
Grass (S.F. MASTERWORKS)

4.0 out of 5 stars Uniquely Engaging, 7 Feb. 2013
I chose this book after reading the sample pages for Kindle, which I found intriguing. The setting is a collision of colonial space empire and turn of the century aristocracy, which certainly made for an interesting mix. In terms of plot, several themes are brought together which include viral pandemic, theocratic oppression, and an ecological mystery.

Tepper very capably fleshes out the principal characters, but one weakness I found was that far too many of the secondary characters seem hurriedly thrown-together, even one-dimensional and desperately shallow. I have to admit though that this didn't detract terribly from the story, which although in some respects was quite predictable, in others kept me guessing right up until the end.

Overall this was a worthwhile read. While in my experience it didn't explore any new territory, it was entertaining and sufficiently compelling to hold my attention.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17