Profile for Boing > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17
Philips Sonicare HX9112/02 FlexCare Platinum Rechargeable Toothbrush
Philips Sonicare HX9112/02 FlexCare Platinum Rechargeable Toothbrush

5.0 out of 5 stars Instant Convert, 23 Aug 2014
I treated myself to this when it was on Deal of the Day for sixty-eight quid, and I am so glad I did. In the promo video one of the people says this gets your teeth "ridiculously clean". She's not wrong!

It's really easy to use, and does a cracking job. I am now a full convert and won't ever go back to a manual brush.

I have not had any serious dental issues as I take reasonable care of my teeth, but recently I have started to develop a couple of sensitive spots. These sensitive spots persisted despite me using enamel repair toothpaste/mouthwash. After just FOUR DAYS with this new brush the sensitive areas disappeared altogether. I did not encounter any of the gum bleeds during the initial week of use which some users report. I also noticed a significant lightening in the shade of my teeth, and the gradual removal of some dark stains which accumulated when I was a smoker.

One thing that surprised me is just how brief a two minute brushing period is when you have a device like this to time it for you. I had always believed that I was under-brushing, but as it turns out time compresses when you use a manual brush. I found you have to be quite nippy with this thing to hit every surface. It does such a thorough job though that you can move it around the mouth much more quickly than you might expect.

The blurb says the InterCare heads remove six times more plaque than manual brushing (why then is the DiamondClean system more expensive when those heads only remove twice as much plaque?). Having flossed manually after using the brush I am inclined to believe that blurb. Virtually nothing came out using dental floss, and an interdental brush only lifted small amounts of matter shortly after eating. The incredibly clean feeling apparently really does come from the teeth being incredibly clean!

If you are coming from a manual toothbrush, I would recommend taking the plunge. I really doubt that you will have any regrets.

Vinsic 5-Ports 40W Smart Power USB Charger, Desktop USB Charger Adapter for iPhone 5S 5 4S, iPad, Samsung Galaxy, HTC, Nexus, Motorola, Cellphone, Tablets
Offered by High Tech International

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely Recommended, 23 Aug 2014
I am genuinely surprised by the quality of this product. Considering it is one of the cheapest devices of its type it is pretty good. I was not expecting much at all, but on opening my parcel the sturdy and neat packaging gave me immediate optimism. The device itself turned out to be actually quite well made: unlike other third party products I have ended up with this one feels relatively solid. A far cry from the tacky plastic shell I was expecting to receive!

It's currently under the sofa charging a pair of wireless headphones. I did notice the slight whistling noise that some other reviewers mentioned, but I should stress I almost had the thing in my ear before I could hear it (and my hearing is pretty good). The whistle is only evident when a device is charging, and I can't hear it at all when it's a couple of feet away. I suppose it is possible that a proportion of these devices have a more serious noise issue, but looking at the spread of reviews it appears the chances of getting a duff one are quite low.

The only criticism I can really make is that some of the USB ports don't seem quite straight, but they work fine and I don't really feel that's worth docking the product by a whole star. In fact now I have established this is a decent product, I am ordering another straight away to go behind the TV for charging 3D glasses and game pads.

Love it when a plan comes together!

Tune In Tokyo:The Gaijin Diaries
Tune In Tokyo:The Gaijin Diaries

4.0 out of 5 stars A good giggle, 24 July 2014
I bought this on a Kindle deal, and had no pre-conceived notions going in to it. Like at least one other reviewer, during the first few chapters I found the humour self-indulgent and repetitive and nearly junked it. But I'm glad I didn't. The narrative gets more and more desperately bizarre until every other page contains a laugh-out-loud moment.

Having read this book, I'd probably buy another Tim Anderson title (assuming a new one arrives).

The Butcher of Anderson Station: A Story of The Expanse
The Butcher of Anderson Station: A Story of The Expanse

4.0 out of 5 stars Short but Helpful, 24 July 2014
This story is not bad if you like the Fred character, and to be fair it does give you a better understanding of his personality. There is an argument that his character should be understandable just from reading the main books, but to be fair it's the kind of story which would not have sat well in the "trilogy" (or quadrilogy now, I suppose), and was probably culled during an early edit.

If you are really invested in the main sequence of the Expanse books, I'd say this short is probably worth its price point.

Rybond Office Round Magnets - Fridge Magnets Whiteboard Magnets - Plastic covered with magnetic base - 25mm [Pack 10]
Offered by Rybond

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark Magic, 24 July 2014
These aren't just attractive thingummybobs, they are also forcefully attracted to ferrous metals! It's a bit spooky, but after some experimentation I discovered that this enigmatic magic can be used to pin items of paper and card to a refrigerator door.

This is clearly meddling with the dark arts, but I think it's such a convenient gimmick that it's likely to stick. I'll repent on my deathbed.

(You get ten magnets, two each of yellow, green, red, black, and blue. Each one is slightly larger than a pound coin.)

eSynic 3.5" USB External Floppy Disk Drive Diskette 1.44MB FDD for Laptop PC - Compatible with Windows 98/SE/2000/ME/XP/VISTA/Windows 7
Offered by eSynic

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and it Works, 24 July 2014
This drive is basically "plug and play" on Windows 7. I bought it to recover files from some old discs (which Windows doesn't understand, as it turns out) because there is no floppy drive in my desktop computer. As it turns out I had a spare drive in my electronic bits and pieces box, but hey... that's not eSynic's fault. Their product works fine! And it's not like it broke the bank. I remember paying sixty quid for an external drive in the Nineties [smokes pipe].

Don't Buy It!: The tricks and traps salespeople use and how to beat them
Don't Buy It!: The tricks and traps salespeople use and how to beat them

5.0 out of 5 stars You Can't Afford To Not Read It, 24 July 2014
This book is - in one word - indispensable. It identifies and explains most, if not all, of the manipulative and exploitative tactics which salespeople use to gouge as much money as possible from consumers like you and me. Some of these tricks are fairly well known and hardly difficult to spot, but others are subtle and would catch most people unawares.

Whether you are buying or selling a house, looking for a new car, opening a bank account, or shopping about for a new television, this book will ensure you are forewarned and forearmed. Not only will you be equipped to avoid paying too much, you might even end up paying less than everyone else.

I gained a lot from reading this book. Definitely recommend it!

Reel Heroes: Doom [Blu-ray] [2005]
Reel Heroes: Doom [Blu-ray] [2005]
Dvd ~ Karl Urban

4.0 out of 5 stars Great transfer, Good fun, 31 Aug 2013
I bought this film on DVD years ago and watched it once; it was dark throughout much of the action scenes so it never looked as good as it should have done. Since it was on offer on Blu-Ray I took a chance and I'm glad to say this version of it has a much better picture: it's cleaned up really well, and you can see much more of what's going on. There is also some footage that is not in the DVD version.

The plot and dialogue are standard schlock-horror "let's throw a science fiction popcorn muncher together" material, but to be honest if I'm putting a movie like this in the drive, it means all I want is a couple of hours of brainless fun. And it's hell-beasts versus BFGs, so it basically delivers.

Don't expect a carefully and lovingly adapted version of the games, and you'll save yourself some disappointment. It's only tangentially related. The only complaint I'd have is that the writers introduce some very interesting concepts which they then do very little with, and the main plot seems to contradict itself a few times (everyone's in quarantine. So let's send them to Earth! No wait, they're in quarantine. Hold on, I forgot, we're still in jeopardy right? How about them, are they in jeopardy too? Okay we'd better send them to Earth. Oh no we sent them to Earth, we've put Earth in jeopardy! Are we still in quarantine? etc etc).
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 24, 2014 10:05 AM BST

Griffin TotalGuard Anti-Glare Front Screen Protector for iPhone 4/4S
Griffin TotalGuard Anti-Glare Front Screen Protector for iPhone 4/4S
Offered by eTwist

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 27 Jun 2013
These protectors are excellent. Easy to apply, they look good and feel good, glare is noticeably reduced, and fingerprints or greasy smears are a thing of the past. One thing I have noticed though is that the surface does scratch easily, and scratches can stand out.

The packaging states there are three each of the screen protectors, cleaning cloths, and card applicators. I got three protectors, but only one each of the cloths and applicators. Doesn't really matter, but just so you know...

I'm on my fourth iPhone and these are the first protectors I've bought that actually encourage brand loyalty. I'll definitely buy them again.

There is another reviewer who got a different product. I received a pack of 3 genuine Griffin protectors: for the record, I bought directly from Amazon.

Three Mobile Broadband Ready to Go 3GB Preloaded Data Standard SIM for 3G Tablets

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the Ticket, 27 Jun 2013
After moving I had no internet for months, and ended up getting a Huawei mobile broadband pod from 3. Because everything I own wanted a software update by then, I rattled through my monthly allowance in no time. Bought one of these SIM cards to tide me over to the next month, and it was ideal.

All I had to do was stick this SIM in my device and it worked right away. When I visited the device interface in my web browser, and navigated to My3, the site automatically recognised which SIM I was using and showed me the correct balance. All easy and seamless!

Not the best value data when you're on a monthly contract, but for me it was a perfect way to bridge the gap between allowances when I ran out. And it sure beats the laughable "top-up" prices that My3 offers!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17