Profile for T. Gorman > Reviews

Content by T. Gorman

T. Gorman (County Durham, England)

Legionnaire: The Real Life Story of an Englishman in the French Foreign Legion
Legionnaire: The Real Life Story of an Englishman in the French Foreign Legion

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 6 Feb. 2015
An excellent first hand account of someone's time in this legendary fighting force. A great read.

BBC Radio 2's Sounds Of The 80s
BBC Radio 2's Sounds Of The 80s

3.0 out of 5 stars Curate's egg, 7 Dec. 2014
There are some good covers on here and some not so good. The thing that spoilt it for me is that they have overdone it with what appears to be the standard way to make a cover these days. This is to sing it at half the tempo with an unplugged backing track as if this gives it an undiscovered haunting beauty or something. Often though it just comes across as someone singing really slowly which is frustrating to listen to.

The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August
The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August

4.0 out of 5 stars Good concept, rushed ending, 8 Nov. 2014
An excellent concept that had me thinking long after I put the book down. A very philosophical storyline. It could have got boring but the author introduced some drama and a nemesis for the protagonist to plot against. However, I think that the ending was a bit rushed. It was almost as if the author had to deliver something to the publisher so she constructed a quick ending. A shame because it would have been a 5 star novel if she came up with a better end to the story.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 4, 2014 10:58 PM GMT

Ally Mcbeal: Season 2 [DVD]
Ally Mcbeal: Season 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Calista Flockhart

4.0 out of 5 stars Reminiscences, 1 April 2014
This review is from: Ally Mcbeal: Season 2 [DVD] (DVD)
Reminiscing about the '90s, the fashions the culture and the quirky humour of Ally McBeal. My 16 year old son is enjoying it too.

Onapplianceparts High Quality Laminated Bosch Washing Machine Carbon Brushes Pair 154740 Numbers On Original Brushes Where 39728
Offered by Suds-Online

1.0 out of 5 stars Faulty, 29 Nov. 2013
The wire came away from the carbon brush when I was fitting these to my washing machine motor. Don't buy.

Electro-Harmonix Big muff US
Electro-Harmonix Big muff US
Offered by Stompbox

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 1 April 2013
A good old fashioned Hendrix type sound can be achieved with this pedal. An excellent starter pedal for anyone thinking of investing.

Soups For Your Slow Cooker: How to Make Delicious Soups for All Occasions in Your Slow Cooker
by Diana Peacock

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious recipes, 1 April 2013
I had a hankering to make some soups. I thought that they would make excellent packed lunches and are so much healthier than shop bought soups. I have made a few of the recipes in this book and I am please with all of them. I have been making the spicy ones because of the weather at the moment. I love the lamb mulligatawny. The curried beef is nice too.

The Templar Throne (Templars Book 3)
The Templar Throne (Templars Book 3)

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit of simple research would have helped, 29 May 2012
I thought that Templar Throne was definitely a da Vinci Code rip off, not that da Vinci Code is brilliant either. The author even has his characters criticise da Vinci Code in this novel which is really ironic. However, I was sort of putting up with the story until I reached the chapter where the main characters visited St Michael's Mount and paid their entrance fee in Euros. Er, the currency is pounds in the UK Mr Christopher. I was willing to suspend my belief but then a helicopter full of SO19 officers start pursuing them which one character tells the other are the British equivalent of a SWAT unit in the USA. Er, SO19 became CO19 in 2005 (Templar Throne was written in 2010) and are part of the Metropolitan Police Force anyway so they are unlikely to be found at St Michael's Mount as the Devon and Cornwall Police are the local police force. It's like finding LAPD running round the streets of New York. Then they meet an Irish fisherman who helps them because he tells them that he hates Limeys. Everyone knows that Limey is a slang term that Americans use for British people. An Irishman would never call someone from the UK a Limey; he would call them a Brit.

I don't know how accurate Mr Christopher's 'facts' about the Knights Templar, the crusades etc were but when I read inaccurate stuff in the rest of the book, it kind of calls into question everything else that I have read. Why don't authors just double check their facts and why don't publishers run a quality check on this sort of thing?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 24, 2013 5:43 PM GMT

French Pith Helmet Khaki Adjustable
French Pith Helmet Khaki Adjustable
Offered by Hats and Caps

5.0 out of 5 stars True explorer's garb, 12 Jan. 2012
This review is from: French Pith Helmet (Apparel)
Sturdy, light helmet made from genuine pith and it looks fantastic. I bought this to wear on long walks with mates. We have all decided to get ourselves unusual hats to don on our explorations and what better hat to wear when I am exploring.

Audio Technica ATH-ANC3
Audio Technica ATH-ANC3

5.0 out of 5 stars Hey, it works!, 28 Feb. 2010
I have always wanted to try this noise cancelling technology. I bought these because they are a lot more portable than the usual noise cancelling headphones that look like a couple of coconut shells stuck on the sides of your head. They are also a lot more reasonable than some noise cancelling phones that cost in excess of £300. I couldn't really justify to myself spending that much on a pair of headphones. Anyway, these combine the very clever noise cancelling technology with the low tech noise reducing effect that comes from the fact that the phones fit snuggly in your ear. I did a bit of research and read a few reviews in magazines and stuff and whilst these phones did not get the top rating (that went to some of those £300 monsters), they did get a very high rating so I decided to splash out. Anyway, they work! They are particularly good at cancelling out constant background noise that you get from travelling on the tube, bus or even aeroplane. I can listen to my iPod in the same room as someone watching TV and I am not distracted by the fact that I can also hear the conversations on the TV. I would recommend them to anyone wanting to try this noise cancelling technology.