Profile for MG > Reviews

Java Persistence with Hibernate
Java Persistence with Hibernate
by Christian Bauer

2.0 out of 5 stars Too much., 13 Nov 2007
I've recently been reading Java Persistence with Hibernate, having had limited experience with Hibernate previously. My thinking was that a book this size should provide a really gentle but complete coverage.

After 5 months, I had got as far as Chapter 7. Normally, I fly through books, but there was something about this one that just didn't work for me. I don't like 'giving up', but by chapter 7 I asked myself honestly a) was I enjoying it and b) was I learning, and I came to 'no' for both.

The book (as we know) was written by the authors of Hibernate, and to this end they know it inside out. However, this is also their weakness. Instead of giving me what I needed - an overview, followed by some good examples that I could follow and learn from, they would show me one way to do something in Hibernate, then in annotations, then with JPA xml, then with JPA annotations except for the bits that couldn't be reached and so had to use Hibernate annotations. Then they would give me a reason/situation when this approach couldn't be used, and the process would start over with a new technique. As a reference, this is excellent. As a learning book, it's a nightmare, so much so that I've stopped reading.