Profile for Mr. J. J. Davenport > Reviews

Content by Mr. J. J. Dave...

Mr. J. J. Davenport "Jonathan Davenport"

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent knife for camping, 12 July 2010
This is a fantastic knife at an excellent price. It's strong, and easyto sharpen. I have used it to split logs for my fire, make kindling, as well as whittling. I can't get over how strong this knife is and the handle feels comfortable allowing you greater control.

As it says in the product description it doesn't look as nice as some of the more expensive knives out there but it does the job very well. However there is one thing that does annoy me and that is the is the sheath that's supplied. It doesn't stay attached to your belt but I can't really complain given the low price. I have had my knife about a year and it's still in great condition.

King Solomon's Mines (Penguin Popular Classics)
King Solomon's Mines (Penguin Popular Classics)
by H. Rider Haggard

5.0 out of 5 stars good old fashioned adventure story, 19 Aug 2005
This is a good old fashioned adventure story that takes place in Africa. Yes the story is far fetched but once you get into it you just can't put it down. The descriptions of the exotic landscapes would have excited readers in the nineteenth century but I still feel that they make a modern reader, who will have either visited Africa or at least seen it on TV, feel in awe at the wild nature of the country.

If you are at all politically correct then you will not enjoy this book because of the descriptions of the African tribes and the fact that some of the characters hunt wild elephants. But if that doesn't bother you then you will find that the characters are wonderfully fun and lively, with "Alan Q" having several more books created about his adventures.

The Mysterious Island (Modern Library Classics (Mass Market))
The Mysterious Island (Modern Library Classics (Mass Market))
by Jules Verne
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: 4.08

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish I had been there, 19 Aug 2005
I should start by saying that this is my favourite Jules Verne novel. The story concerns a group of men who find themselves stranded on a remote island after their baloon crash lands. Once on the island they soon realise that if they are going to survive it is going to be because of their own actions and ingenuity. Verne shows what a group of people can achieve starting from nothing. The group manage to create everything they could ever need from the natural materials that the island provides. It is fascinating learning how everything is made and how the different degrees of civilisation they create affect the inhabitants. Everytime they create something new that adds a bit more comfort to their lives, we as readers share that comfort.
Perhaps my only worry about the book would be that the group of men that are stranded are the best examples of human nature, but by having them all as decent, intelligent people Verne shows just what fantastic things human kind can create. If you enjoy this book it might be worth you ready Verne's Among the Cannibals. This book details the past life of one of the characters in the Mysterious Island.
Another strength to this novel is the return of one of Verne's greatest characters but I shall not say anymore about that as I would not want to spoil any surprise. The book is uplifting, interesting and may just help you if you get stuck on some speck of land in the middle of the ocean.

The First Men In The Moon (S.F. Masterworks)
The First Men In The Moon (S.F. Masterworks)
by H.G. Wells

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly great, 24 Nov 2004
I have always prefered to read Jules Verne over H.G.Wells because I prefer Verne's style of writing. I have often considered Wells' writing to be similar to reading a newspaper article. However I have a very different opinion of this great writer having recently read this book, which I have to say is now one of my faviourites of this genre.
I feel that the chracters Wells creates in this book are memorable, and crafted with skill. The plot is thoroughly entertaing, with Wells' ideas about getting to the moon very interesting. The inhabitants of the moon are really original characters in their own right and are unlike creatures that i have previously read about.
If you as a reader can get past the idea that two Englishmen are walking around on the moon without the need for respiratory equipment then you will thoroughly enjoy this book. The descriptions of the moon itself are wonderful and memorable. If you are a fan of early science fiction then you will certainly enjoy this book.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 25, 2013 11:59 PM BST

From the Earth to the Moon
From the Earth to the Moon
by Jules Verne
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: 3.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Verne the Master story teller, 18 July 2004
I have recently started to read Verne's novels and have found them to be very entertaining indeed. Although From the Earth to the Moon is not perhaps as well written as Around the World In Eighty Days, or Twenty thousand Leagues Under The Sea, it is still worth dipping into. The characterisation is not brilliant, but the story itself is entertaining. Anyone who is a fan of the birth of science fiction as a genre should read this book.

Verne attempts to explain exactly how to send a group of men to the moon with scientific reasoning. It is fascinating reading about the various opinions that existed at the time regarding who inhabited the moon, what it was made of and various other strange questions that we take for granted nowadays.

The ending to the novel was not what I expected and should leave the reader satisfied. A charming read.