Profile for M. Taylor > Reviews

M. Taylor "Matthew"

Guy Martin: My Autobiography
Guy Martin: My Autobiography

2.0 out of 5 stars Dull as ditch water, 4 July 2014
Sorry Guy Martin fans, I've seen him on TV many times and I really like the guy but for someone whose lead such an interesting life (so far) he sure knows how to tell a boring story.

Professional SharePoint 2007 Web Content Management Development: Building Publishing Sites with Office SharePoint Server 2007 (Wrox Programmer to Programmer)
by Andrew Connell

3.0 out of 5 stars Did I expect too much for £22?, 29 July 2008
If you are familiar or experienced with SharePoint development but new to WCM then this book may represent a better investment for you.

I struggled throughout the book with the author's style of explaining concepts and, in the few areas where he dives into any real depth I found myself re-reading several times before reverting to Google to clear up the mystery.

The pedigree of the author is unquestionable and what I was really hoping for was for some of his most valuable assets to shine through - experiences gained from the years of delivering real world solutions. What I actually got was a description of the WCM feature set with lots and lots of URL references to information on the author's personal website and to the official documentation on MSDN.

An example of the lack of clarity is the SharePoint Designer (SPD) versus Visual Studio (VS) approach. This continually surfaces throughout the book without ever imparting on the reader the true significance and difference between content and structure or customised and uncustomised solutions. In my opinion it warranted a chapter right at the beginning of the book and more should have been made of the potential to use SPD as a design tool for generating pilots and components that can be translated to VS.

An example of the lack of detail is the explanation of provisioning files from SharePoint features. The schema includes many more attributes for the Module and File elements than are explained but the author doesn't even mention them.

There is much to be gained from this book that you may not come across otherwise, however, what I gained was not worth £22 to me let alone the £32 rrp.

Beginning C# Objects: From Concepts to Code
Beginning C# Objects: From Concepts to Code
by Jacquie Barker

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says on the tin!, 12 July 2004
As a typical self-taught, classic VB developer making the .NET transition to C# I felt it was time I rounded out my experience with a solid OOP and CASE tools foundation and this was the perfect book for me.
I waited for some months for this particular book, attracted by the OOP/UML experience of the author Jacquie Baker both as a professional and a mentor. Every aspect of the book - layout, writing style, presentation, pace, depth - is spot on for the target audiance. It has given me the confidence and desire to move onto more targeted object modelling methodolgies and I will keep it as a valuable reference.
I couldn't recomend this book strongly enough to hobbyist and professional developers alike who are looking for a serious foundation in OOP and/or UML methodologies demonstrated in C#.

Netgear DG834G 54Mbps Wireless ADSL2+ Modem Firewall Router with 4-port 10/100 Switch
Offered by NETWORK LTD

4.0 out of 5 stars Wireless newbies beware, 1 Jun 2004
Prior to my purchase of the DG834G I was a complete network newbie let alone wireless network! However, as per the general concensus here I had little trouble getting my new network up and running with my XP Pro desktop within half an hour.
The Netgear instructions are 1st class BUT BEWARE, they do not extend to security - the standard setup will leave you with a wireless network that anyone can use armed with a network card/adapter and the Netgear default settings. This situation is easily remedied although as a novice my security implementation did include one resetting of the router (something else which I found insufficiently covered in the literature!!!)