Profile for S. Ginty > Reviews

Content by S. Ginty

S. Ginty (Manchester, England)

Eight (NHB Modern Plays)
Eight (NHB Modern Plays)
by Ella Hickson

5.0 out of 5 stars A Compelling Debut Play, 31 Mar 2010
I saw the original cast of 'Eight' perform at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival 2008 where it debuted and won many an award such as The Scotman's Fringe First and the Carol Tambor Award that took the show to off Off-Broadway in New York early 2009. I loved both shows and was dubious about the play in written form as I didn't believe, at first, that it could live up to the performances I saw (I am not an English Literature/Drama enthusiast so when I discover a play I love, it has a huge impact on me). However, I could not have been more wrong as ofcourse it is the writing that made the play brilliant in the first place.

'Eight' is compelling and emotive with such character depth that each monologue leaves you wanting to know more. The monologues are very well-written and not without humour so they make for a very enjoyable read. A must-read (and a must-see!) for everyone in our generation for whom the play is written.

Freedom from the Known
Freedom from the Known
by J. Krishnamurti

5.0 out of 5 stars Liberating and empowering, 27 Dec 2008
This review is from: Freedom from the Known (Paperback)
Freedom From The Known is my favourite of Krishnamurti's books, in fact, my favourite of any spiritual book. It is brutally honest and invites you to question the world that we live in and the systems that condition us. He does not tell us what to think but instead asks us direct questions and guides us in this way through the book. At times you might find it depressing as nothing is sugar-coated and everything you think "is just the way it is" is broken down but ultimately it is extremely liberating to view the world through these new perspectives. I find it enlightening every time I read it, and I think it is best to pick it up again and again whenever you're feeling low. Anyone and everyone should read this: the religious, the non-religious, the spiritual, the sceptics etc. This is my first book review in my 3 years on Amazon so I think that's testament enough of how much I recommend this book out of all the ones I have read!