Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer "randomiser"

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem (GameCube)
Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem (GameCube)
Offered by STOCKTASTIC

5.0 out of 5 stars you would be insane not to buy this!, 14 July 2004
This is the reason why I brought a Gamecube in the first place. A psychological thriller playing the part of 12 different characters in 11 chapters spanning time periods from as early as 26BC to 2000AD with the ability to use magic and weapons both modern and ancient. Exploration and puzzles all play a part in settings such as Persia, France and the Middle East. The controls are easy to use, there is a map which develops as you explore each area and, providing there are no enemies near, you can save your game whenever you like. It's the insanity meter which stands out though as something original and entertaining. When your insanity meter is drained through encounters with various enemies, such as Zombies, there is a chance of an hallucination. There are at least 30 insanity effects that can occur, which I will not describe here as it would spoil your enjoyment of the game. Ok, just one then to give you an idea of what to expect; the sound will disappear from the game with the word "MUTE" appearing in the top corner of your t.v. screen. You may not be taken in by that particular insanity effect but there are others which will get you going before you realise what's happened. I've just completed this game for the 2nd time, joining Halo, Ico, GoldenEye and Metal Gear Solid as the only games I've gone back to finish again over the last 6 years or so. I'd strongly recommend you give this game a try. You would be insane not to!

The Suffering (Xbox)
The Suffering (Xbox)
Offered by multimedia-online

4.0 out of 5 stars Save anywhere, Yay!!!, 12 July 2004
This review is from: The Suffering (Xbox) (Video Game)
If I've completed a hard part of the game but then die before reaching the next checkpoint or completing the level, I don't want to have to do that bit all over again. I've proved I can do it, let's move on. This game gives you that rare opportunity of being able to save whenever you want to. The gameplay itself is fun although it can be a bit repetitive at times.
good points: save anywhere, choice of difficulty, controls, rarely frustrating, 3 different endings.
bad points: occasionally not sure what to do/where to go next.
Lifespan: approx 9 hrs to complete first time through

Hitman: Contracts (Xbox)
Hitman: Contracts (Xbox)
Offered by RevivalMedia

4.0 out of 5 stars patience is a virtue, 12 July 2004
If you've got patience and like to think when your playing games then Hitman Contracts is for you. There are many ways to go about completing the kill on each mission. The choice is yours.Me? I'm not a patient man when it comes to gaming and ended up using a guide to complete this title. I still found it fun but missed out on any sense of achievement.
good points: choice of difficulty, sniping, maps.
bad points: limited saves per mission, occasionally frustrating.
lifespan: approx 9 hrs to complete once using a guide.

Rogue Ops (GameCube)
Rogue Ops (GameCube)
Offered by sicodaddy

4.0 out of 5 stars A pleasant surprise, 12 July 2004
This review is from: Rogue Ops (GameCube) (Video Game)
I was put off from buying this having read a few reviews on the Internet and in magazines which described it as a very average game but, because there wasn't much else out there that appealed to me, I decided to give it a go. I'm glad I did. I found the game to be highly enjoyable with all the things I look for in a game included in this title.
Good points: rarely frustrating, choice of difficulty, sniping, checkpoints, controls and general gunplay.
Bad points: Annoying lazer puzzles, setting off alarms.
Lifespan: approx 13 hrs to complete

X-Files: Resist Or Serve (PS2)
X-Files: Resist Or Serve (PS2)
Offered by total-gamer

3.0 out of 5 stars the truth is................, 12 July 2004
If you like Resident Evil type games then this is worth a look. The presentation is good with the story cut into 3 Episodes and playable as either Mulder (more action orientated) or Scully (more puzzles). Personally, I used a walkthrough for the majority of the game having got stuck on some of the puzzles as well as a few other niggles; see bad points below. If you're a fan of the t.v. series you should enjoy this with numerous referrences to past episodes as well as many of the characters appearing throughtout the game.
good points: good story, true to the t.v. series
bad points: not sure what to do next, no choice of difficulty, awkward aiming, frequent loading.
Lifespan: 9 hours with Scully plus can then go through with Mulder.

Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes (GameCube)
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes (GameCube)

4.0 out of 5 stars A classic game, 12 July 2004
I buy a game, hopefully complete it and then trade it in. That applies to about 95% of the games that I've brought. The original Metal Gear is one of the few exceptions. I completed it 3 or 4 times when it came out on the Playstation and had to have a look at this Gamecube version. The gameplay hasn't changed much but there are some extra cut-scenes which I enjoyed. If you have never played the original MGS then I strongly recommend this and would adjust the review to 5 stars. If you have played it before, you know what to expect as all of the levels are the same. Depends how curious you are.
good points: Save anywhere, good story, choice of difficulty levels, replayability, fight cut scenes.
Bad points: long drama cut scenes, occasional bad camera,
Lifespan: 10hrs first time through, but that's mainly due to the long cut scenes.

Red Dead Revolver (Xbox)
Red Dead Revolver (Xbox)
Offered by STOCKTASTIC

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice idea but so frustrating, 12 July 2004
When I first heard of this game, a 1st person shooter in the wild west, I was really looking forward to its release. What a disappointment. All was going ok until about half way into the game when I became stuck on a level. After numerous attempts the game stopped being fun and, instead, was a chore. Although I had finished most of the level, because there were no checkpoints, I was sent back to the start to try again after each failure. It may make the game last longer but it's not my idea of a good game.
Good Points: Wild west setting
Bad points: frustrating later levels, no choice of difficulty, annoying quickdraw, no checkpoints in later levels.
Lifespan: Approx 10 hours in 1 player plus has multiplayer options