Profile for Luke Burrage > Reviews

Tim Minchin and The Heritage Orchestra - Live at The Royal Albert Hall [DVD]
Tim Minchin and The Heritage Orchestra - Live at The Royal Albert Hall [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tim Minchin
Offered by MusicnMedia

1.0 out of 5 stars Every one of the 5 star reviewers saw this show LIVE, 12 Dec. 2011
Be careful with this DVD. Every one of the reviewers who gave this DVD 5 stars saw the show live at some point, some even during the recording at the Royal Albert Hall. Seeing it person, I'm sure the audience reaction was amazing.

But the sound mix on this DVD is terrible! The audience reaction is so low in the mix, we could hardly hear it at all. Tim is very funny, and when I've seen him live, people are laughing and clapping through all the songs. On this DVD? Muted silence throughout. When he's talking between the songs, it sounds like he is delivering jokes to an empty aircraft hanger. We here the echoing room, why can't we hear the audience? When the music ends, I want to feel the energy of the audience, but get almost nothing. What's the point of a live DVD recording if the audience doesn't become part of the show?

I speak as someone who once worked as a sound mixer for a TV company, and my main job was recording live events and concerts for broadcast. To make sure it wasn't just the venue, I watched a whole BBC Proms concert, and no, the audience was perfectly audible.

The bad mix means I've only watched the first half so far. To make sure it doesn't spoil my enjoyment of the second half, I'm going to wait to see the material live in the future, or try to download a different recording of the Heritage Orchestra show. I gather there is a version from the Sydney Opera House, hopefully with a competent sound mixer.

On a positive note, I loved the new material. I just wish I could feel like I was watching it live, as that is the feeling I get when watching other Minchin DVDs and YouTube videos and the live albums I have on iTunes.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 21, 2013 10:54 PM BST