Profile for Jeff. Clark > Reviews

Content by Jeff. Clark

Jeff. Clark "arfur_daily" (Shropshire)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
Fisher-Price Rainforest Portable Baby Swing
Fisher-Price Rainforest Portable Baby Swing
Price: 74.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Swinging!, 6 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This was an easy assembly although its a bit tough pulling the liner onto to swing base, I had to get up and help my wife for that bit. She also needed a hand to drive the screws home!
This 40% reduced size from what I assume was the previous model, which must have been a monster, as this is still a big product. It does fold away, but still demands some floor space. The swing itself will turn so that the baby has either an 'end to end' or 'sideways' motion. The swing speed is adjustable from a gentle motion to a more robust action, but not enough to generate motion sickness! The swing mechanism feels like it 'misses' contact and is possibly about to break, a little like a clock missing a cog on the escapement, but it doesn't break and it doesn't seem to stop the motion, so I stopped worrying about it. The different 'sound tracks' are delivered by a speaker that is not exactly Bose. It's tinny and sounds cheap in an otherwise reasonable quality product. The volume is thankfully adjustable and the choice of tunes and bird impersonations could have been wider and quite honestly better, but the baby didn't seem to mind. There are a couple of 'dangly thingys' that are colourful but hardly stimulating and too far away to be of any use. I suppose the risk of strangulation was taken into account when the health and safety officer took a look at the design, which probably accounts for their uselessness. A reflective surface would have been better. But after the initial shock of the movement, our four month old nephew enjoyed the ride and according to his mum is still thoroughly enjoying it, although the music is boring!
A good product, if a little expensive and the music and 'dangly thingy's' could be improved on the next 'reduced in size' model.
JC

Philips hue Personal Wireless Lighting Starter Kit (3 x A19 E27 LED Light Bulbs, 1 Bridge)
Price: 178.41

4.0 out of 5 stars Mood lighting or cheap disco?, 6 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These lights will default to an everyday LED bulb, switchable with the normal on off switch, but who wants to do that when these lights will produce a multi colour wash on walls, changing the whole atmosphere, or used as a conventional system, will give a multitude of colour options to match or induce your mood.

Set up is not as straightforward as the instructions. And the help line is no more than useless, one has to take care filling in the form to 'open an account' if you do not have a house 'number' like me (we only have a house name), the form throws an error - however redoing the entry will allow you to carry on. Don't expect any help from the phone line, which by the way only works if 00800 is used. 0800 takes you somewhere entirely different, dialling 00800 -744-54775 connects to an operator who, after asking what help is required, will inform one that this product is not covered by this help line, instead one should go to Philips . co . uk / support, which eventually finishes up by giving you exactly the same number, so using the email form instead, I submitted my questions, that was on 24/3/2014 at 13:43, at the time of writing 6/4/14 I am still awaiting a reply!

Help aside, the unit is well packed, three Edison screw bulbs which look much the same as any other LED lamp, a transformer for the bridge and the bridge plus cat5 network cables. The bridge itself is a round, white plastic box about 5mm thick and the diameter of a large saucer.
The instructions give a URL for the necessary app to control the lights via a home network. I use an iPhone and an iPad, I think it is more use on the iPad as it is usually in the room where I have set up the lights and therefore more convenient for me. I set up the bridge as per instructions and screwed in the bulbs, everything worked fine. I don't have a wired connection to my home network in this room, and the reception for my Wi-Fi is patchy in this part of the house so I use an extender to compensate, for this purpose I used a TP Link TA-WPA271 which works perfectly well using a master and slave setup via the mains and a cat5 cable (supplied) from the slave unit to the bridge. Allow yourself some time here to play and listen to the ooos and aaahs the myriad of colour choices will attract.

I do however think Philips have missed a trick, the app works via a home network to the bridge and from the bridge by wireless to each individual bulb, these can be grouped and controlled as a single unit, I expected to be able to use the app directly with the bridge, bypassing the need for a home network, which was the basis of my unanswered enquiry to the 'help' support. The home network would be useful if one wanted to switch the lights on/off from a distance outside the home, say on holiday where the system would be accessible from anywhere in the world, but it would have a bigger customer base were it usable without the network too, by just using the app, or even control buttons built into the bridge itself, after all there is a TX (transmit) and RX (receive) capability already built into the bridge and the bulbs accept commands from the bridge. Maybe its me that's missing the trick?

Used conventionally a pleasant enough light is emitted from the bulbs, but they really come into their own when used with the app, the colour possibilities seem endless, they can be timed to come on or go off, used as a wake up alarm, they can be used as disco lights emitting a light sequence that matches the music - not being a John Travolta I haven't tried this - YET!

The overall effect is very pleasing and despite its shortcomings the installation was relatively easy, mood lighting is achieved with pre-set programs on the app, for almost any mood you require, others can be easily found on the web and one can set ones own preferences.
The package seems expensive considering the number of bulbs, but I would expect this to fall as the popularity of LED lighting increases, LED flood lights for instance have tumbled in price and upped in power in just the last 6 months, hopefully Moore's law can be applied here!

I like these lights, one should do some research before purchase, there is a dedicated help on IFTTT (If This Then That) on IFTTT . com there are loads of tips and help on using things like the alarm wake up, which should be worked over nothing less than 9 minutes - this is not intuitive! And do be careful, you can easily turn your front room into something resembling a bawdy house or a cheap disco. These are fun, they can also become quickly boring, you should get a very long life from these bulbs somewhere around 25 years has been bandied about - so plenty of time to get bored then!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 7, 2014 12:18 PM BST

Tacwise 32mm 18G Brad Nailer. Air Brad Nailer. C1832V
Tacwise 32mm 18G Brad Nailer. Air Brad Nailer. C1832V
Price: 51.11

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb addition to any workshop, 6 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a robust, well built nail gun. It is light and accurate and easy to use with one hand. It will use all these nails or:-
•180 (18G) Nails 10-32mm
•Tacwise 18G/20mm Brad Nails (5,000 Pack) 0395
•Tacwise 18G/25mm Brad Nails (5,000 Pack) 0396
•Tacwise 18G/30mm Brad Nails (5,000 Pack) 0397
•Tacwise 18G/32mm Brad Nails (5,000 Pack) 0398

I think the inclusion of the next most popular connection would be a bonus but the extra 2 is not out of the way if it has to be purchased separately. I use mine with a 50 litre air tank which works very well. Window beading becomes simple and very much safer using a brad gun, tacking work together is made very simple since the applied nail is almost lost head and no damage is caused to the surrounding area. If you need a brad gun - small nail gun look no further this is the one!

Tefal 3-Piece Ingenio Induction Trial Offer
Tefal 3-Piece Ingenio Induction Trial Offer
Price: 48.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Not been excited about pans before....., 6 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These pans are very very good, crispy duck and crispy chicken is made easy, this could have something to do with the material and the titanium coating, the heat distribution is excellent, heating quickly and evenly across the surface. Though I am not sure about the use of the 'thermo spot', it is a red circle in the middle of the pan, when it gets hot one can no longer distinguish the writing because it merges with the red circles (The directions merely say "Tefal's Thermo-Spot which lets you know when the pan has reached the optimum cooking temperature.)" I am not sure what the optimum temperature is, I haven't taken too much notice of it, especially once the food is in, it can no longer be seen, but it does give that initial indication when it is 'hot enough to start'.

The system is interchangeable from hob types, we use ours on an induction hob, the instructions say that it is compatible with all fuels, I haven't the facility to use anything but induction I have no reason to believe its any different on gas or electricity.
The pans all use the interchangeable handle which is easy to use and feels robust and stable, it has a 5 year warranty which at first I thought applied to the pan but disappointingly the pans have only 12 months especially since it is stated that metal tools can be used with the pan - with the exception of knives and whisks! The detachable handle makes storage so much easier which appears to be the only advantage of having it apart from the obvious reduction in the use of oven gloves when retrieving it from the oven? It will also hold 10Kg.
The Ingenio pans are at home going from the freezer to the hob to the oven, and also are dishwasher safe. A lid would be a good addition to this fine range, along with an optional second handle - juggling two pans with one handle is a bit dodgy. Perhaps there is an option which I have so far missed.

Live At Montreux 1975-1993
Live At Montreux 1975-1993
Offered by produXa UK
Price: 4.98

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best Etta James, 9 Mar 2014
I was a little disappointed with the content, I don't think this was the best period of her life, nice to hear but not the best of her recordings.

Scarecrow Brooch
Scarecrow Brooch
Offered by Ebuni
Price: 14.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Brooch, 9 Mar 2014
This review is from: Scarecrow Brooch (Jewellery)
This was purchased along with the Owl as a 'stocking filler' for my wife's little collection, just an extra little wrapped up surprise and it got me loads of brownie points. It is a well made brooch the colours are bright and vibrant, solid robust pin. Altogether pleasing.

Acosta - Vintage Style Owl Brooch with Crystal Accents (Antique Silver Coloured) - Christmas Gift
Offered by Acosta Direct
Price: 14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars What a nice Owl!, 9 Mar 2014
This was purchased along with the Scarecrow as a 'stocking filler' for my wife, just an extra little wrapped up surprise and it got me loads of brownie points. It is a well made brooch the crystal accents really shine though. Very pleased with this.

The Dead Ground (Paula Maguire 2)
The Dead Ground (Paula Maguire 2)
by Claire McGowan
Price: 9.79

3.0 out of 5 stars spoilt by the beginning, 9 Mar 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The content of the first chapter was relevant but should have been included as part of the story further into the book rather than at the beginning. Putting it later would not have detracted from the story line, but by putting it at the beginning I didn't want to read any more, so put it down for several days and thought carefully whether to pick it up again. It appeared to be in the style of Patricia Cornwell at her most graphic - and for effect. The first chapter should have been further into the book as part of the explanation and would not have appeared unnecessarily gory as it would have then been in context.

That said the plot was feasible, the writing style was easy and most of the characters well portrayed. However for some reason I was unable to gain any affinity for the main character because of the way the author wrote about her. The style used when relating to Paula McGuire made her out to be unable to put a sentence together for a good part of the book, e.g: leaving lots of full stops after her statements or using ''er' when she was speaking, until about 2/3rds of the way through when the author appeared to decide to write about her in the same style as the rest of the characters in the book. During this time she appeared to be a weak character.

Perhaps if I had read the first in the series with Paula McGuire it might have been different, but to be honest the way she was being portrayed I just wanted to tell her to pull herself together and get on with her job until the latter third of the book.

Eset NOD32 Antivirus (2014)/PC/3 user/1 year/Eco-friendly packaging
Eset NOD32 Antivirus (2014)/PC/3 user/1 year/Eco-friendly packaging
Price: 38.05

4.0 out of 5 stars Keep Nodding, 12 Dec 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a good product, I don't think it's the best Anti Virus but its up there with them.
The ability to spot new viruses, we are told, has been enhanced, however, it would seem that the extra protection afforded by a product like Malware bytes is necessary too, just as well its free then?
The Anti-phishing detection also seems to be wanting, so says various reports around the web. It has not caused me any problems, perhaps I have been lucky? There is a comprehensive gaming mode to protect gamers, thanks to its provision, this software will temporarily postpone all activities which are relatively demanding of system resources. Dual boot machines are covered with the same licence.
The installation is quick and uneventful and it seems to use very little resource and is quick doing its job, there is technical support available seven days a week by both phone and email although I have not had cause to use it. Other folk have reported installation problems, again, I have had none. It also works on social media site like facebook, I cannot report on this aspect since I don't use facebook.
I have used Nod32 for the past four years and never had a problem with regard to Virus infection, I do err on the side of caution, but I have confidence in this product, which it seems is not to every ones taste.

AURAGLOW 5w COB LED GU10 Light Bulb, Warm White, 50w EQV - RETROFIT
AURAGLOW 5w COB LED GU10 Light Bulb, Warm White, 50w EQV - RETROFIT
Offered by Safield Dist. Ltd
Price: 27.99

5.0 out of 5 stars LED Astray? this is enlightening, 12 Dec 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Sorry about that couldn't resist...
This led bulb is superb. The light from it is instant, full on and no waiting also the cheapest method of using electricity to light your home available.
I put this one 'warm white' in a cluster of four, the other three being cool white - which is a little stark for my taste, although it is a very good, strong light - imagine a clear night with a huge full moon and that's the colour one gets from the 'cool white'. This warm white gave the cluster some `warmth' and gave the whole kitchen a nice bright light without the 'coldness' for us it is a good mix. There are two of these four cluster lights, I have put a warm light in the other set too.
It burns just 5 watt and the lumens produced equate to a 50 watt light bulb. Different bulb angles are available within the bulb, wide angle, this one is 45 degree and a spot light is also available, as are different colours. The bulbs all carry a 35,000 hour lifespan and a five year warranty.
LED bulbs appear at first to be expensive, but the running costs are far better. I am gradually replacing all our lights with LEDs, I started off with just one 'normal' light bulb just to see how we got on with it, and progressed from there. I have now started on the outside lights, the floods are much more expensive than similar Halogen light fittings and the LED cannot be replaced so when it dies, the whole thing is scrap, but they are so very much less to run and everything I have bought so far has had a five year warranty attached, so I am carefully writing the date fitted on each piece and filing the receipts!
One thing to be wary of is that some of the light bulbs use so little voltage that if they are fitted where there is a two way (or more) light switch, the bulb uses the residual current and does not go off completely, this can be got over by making sure the bulbs purchased are 'dimmable' (I put one in the kids room and it acted as a night light but it has now been replaced with a `dimmable'). I would also suggest you try the colours, the cool white light is better described as cold, and it is really quite stark but one could get used to it, I now prefer the light in the kitchen with the two GU10 clusters fitted with the three to one mixture, mixing different colours will no doubt give you satisfactory results should the white alone be too much?
I must say I am impressed with these LED's a far superior light to the low voltage lamps we have been expected to put up with since the demise of incandescent bulbs, this is a really good alternative and so very much better for our wallets. Only time will tell if they live up to the promise of longevity and the whatever the manufacturing impact might turn out to be, but it uses so little power that I am willing to take the chance..

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11