Profile for JPM1983 > Reviews

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies [Blu-ray] [2015] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Martin Freeman
Offered by Direct Entertainment Supplies

3.0 out of 5 stars Over-promised, under-delivered...., 19 Jun. 2015
I am a huge fan of the original Lord of the Rings films, and I liked the first two Hobbit films. I have read the books, but I view Peter Jackson's films as a standalone body of work - therefore I build in no criticism where the films deviate from the book.

The film is the last of the three Hobbit films, and with a title of 'Battle of the Five Armies' I was expecting a last epic to really see the trilogy out with a bang, as 'Return of the King' did with the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

I was very disappointed, Martin Freeman as Bilbo faded away (his character has been the poorest part of the Hobbit trilogy), the battle scenes didn't have the intensity or gravity that this series deserved and there really was no defining moment. Billy Connelly's joke character in the final battle turns the battle into exactly that - a joke. The culmination of the film is Thorin (bewitched and paranoid from the power of the Arkenstone) and Bilbo's attempts to reason with him and save the day. This is another damp squib, compared to Golem v Frodo.

I think this underlies the issue with this film and the trilogy as a whole - the formula that worked so well for Lord of the Rings just doesn't work here, the story and characters just don't back up the need for a grand three-film series.

I have given this review 3/5, most of this earned on the visual aspects of the film, it really is stunning.

If you have seen the first two Hobbit films then this is worth the watch to tie things up. If you're new to the Hobbit franchise and wondering whether to dip your toe in, don't bother - dust off the Lord of the Rings box-set and enjoy.

Fairy Dishwasher Tablets Original 86 All in One Professional Giga Pack Powerful Cleaning Action Tough Stain Removal Powers Through Grease Even In Short Cycles Liquid Grease Dissolvers Super Shine Function Limescale Prevention PLUS SHORT CYCLE CLEANING ACTION (86)
Offered by Alex Shanks Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, 19 Jun. 2015
Excellent value for money, this pack of Fairy Dishwasher tabs has lasted us for a long time. I compared the price to supermarket prices and this comes out on top. And, of course, Fairy dishwasher tabs are excellent - personally I much prefer them to other products, they clean to a higher quality.

Taggies - Baby Security Blanket - Pink Butterflies
Taggies - Baby Security Blanket - Pink Butterflies
Offered by BABY-PAGES LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, 19 Jun. 2015
My daughter really likes this, she loves the labels on the side. We give it to her before bed and it relaxes and calms her. It feels very good quality and has survived being washed in the washing machine a few times. I have spent much more money on toys that our daughter hasn't engaged with, but this has been a great buy and fantastic value. Recommended.

Britax SafeFix Plus Group 1 Toddler Car Seat (Black Thunder)
Britax SafeFix Plus Group 1 Toddler Car Seat (Black Thunder)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality, safe and comfortable, 19 Jun. 2015
This seat is consistent with the usual Britax quality. It feels safe, sturdy and of excellent quality. It will last until our daughter is 3-4 years old.

My partner and I looked at a range of seats in Mothercare / Mamas & Papas etc. and we struggled to find a seat that felt comfortable enough for our daughter. When we found this it felt much more comfortable than the other seats.

It is Isofix so fits very easily and quickly into Isofix compatible vehicles - I compare this with the hour it took me to wrestle a non-Isofix seat into my partner's car.

Our daughter loves being in the seat, I has different recline settings for when she wants to be asleep, sit up etc.

We bought this from Amazon and substantially less than the high street prices, and I couldn't recommend it more. If your vehicle is Isofox compatible this seat comes highly recommended.

Britax Eclipse Group 1 Toddler Car Seat (Black Thunder)
Britax Eclipse Group 1 Toddler Car Seat (Black Thunder)

2.0 out of 5 stars Usual Britax quality, however does have flaws., 2 Jun. 2015
The seat is sturdy, comfortable and is made by a trusted brand, Britax. It is also very light if you're going to be moving it between vehicles regularly. Fitting it with a 3 point car seat is also straightforward, although I would recommend purchasing an ISOFIX car seat if you're vehicle is compatible.

However the seat does have an annoying flaw. As you're son/daughter gets taller the harness straps need moving further up the seat. This requires removing the strap and a metal buckle at the back of the seat, in-between the seat and the base. This is impossibly hard, the gap is so small, my partner and I struggled for a good while.

For £69.99 the seat is at the budget end of the spectrum, and isn't bad for that price. But, if you can, spend a bit more and try for an ISOFIX seat.

Black credit card holder wallet from Prime Hide
Black credit card holder wallet from Prime Hide

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheaply made, poorly designed - please avoid., 25 Nov. 2012
I bought this wallet (which isn't cheap!) and within a month of use the flimsy card holder inside broke. I only had a 3/4 cards in it (it has space for 19!) and it wasn't made well enough to even handle them. Cheaply made, poorly designed - plenty better on the market.

Red: My Autobiography
Red: My Autobiography
by Gary Neville

2.0 out of 5 stars Very average and pedestrian., 12 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Red: My Autobiography (Hardcover)
I am a lifelong Man Utd fan - so this book was an absolute must for me.

It ticks all the boxes that an English international footballer's autobiography should tick - how they got into the first team, their recollection of important matches, behind the scenes gossip, the great players they played with and how disappointing their England career was.

However, this is where the positives end. For saying Gary played for 20 years for one of the biggest clubs in the world there is hardly any backbone or depth to the book. Very, very few funny stories appear in the 300 pages, absolutely nothing about his life off the field and hardly anything that could be described as "noteworthy". Gary has also gone to great pains to make sure that nothing controversial makes it into the book - a lot of the book just says how great Beckham, Giggs, Cantona etc was, which is hardly news to football fans.

When I compare this to other autobiographies such as Vinne Jones' (Vinnie: The Autobiography), Gazza's (Gazza: My Story) and Le Tissier's (Taking le Tiss) this is not in the same league.

Man Utd fans may enjoy to some extent (although I would recommend Glory Glory!), fans of other teams will hardly raise an eyebrow when reading this book. Disappointing.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 6, 2013 3:58 PM BST

L.A. Noire (Xbox 360)
L.A. Noire (Xbox 360)
Offered by Game Trade Online

2.0 out of 5 stars Great graphics, but ultimately unsatisfying, 21 May 2011
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: L.A. Noire (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Being a Rockstar game I was expecting great things (think Great Theft Auto, Red Dead Redemption etc), and when I loaded up the game I was not dissapointed. The graphics really are groundbreaking, they way people walk, talk, pull facial expressions etc is very realistic. The opening tutorial (as a regular uniform cop) showed how to find clues, questions suspects, and even the occasional foot chase and shoot-out! Perfect start I thought, before promotion to detective.

Entering the Detective stage brimming with positivity and enthusiasm I was launched into serious investigations. And then the dissapointment slowly started to hit me - the game was simply a repeat of the tutorial over and over again. Get dispatched to a crime, examine clues when the controller vibrates and question suspects (the game even tells you what questions to ask, and in what order!). One of the big selling points is the graphics of the characters aiding you to tell when they are lying or telling the truth - well its very simple. If the character acts shifty when asked a question, they are lying, if they plead with you they are telling the truth. Crime solved, pat on the back from the Captain, then off to another crime.

After a considerable amount of time playing this endless cycle of solving crimes with virtually no excitement or tension left me hugely disappointed. Yes the graphics are great but playing games is about having fun, experiencing the euphoria of doing well, and being determined to do better next time when you've done not so well.

This game is flat, lifeless, and boring.
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 31, 2011 12:58 PM BST