Profile for SandraS > Reviews

Content by SandraS

SandraS

Andrew James Powerful 300 Watt Hand Mixer With Chrome Beaters, Dough Hooks, 5 Speed With Turbo Button Includes Balloon Whisk
Offered by Andrew James UK LTD

1.0 out of 5 stars Not up to the job...., 11 April 2014
I have used a Kenwood hand mixer in various incarnations for the last forty years, and on reading the reviews, decided to try this when I replaced it recently. I am a food writer who does a lot of baking testing recipes. I have now gone back to Kenwood. The only thing I liked about this mixer is the number of speed settings. Otherwise it is too heavy and clumsy to use when whisking egg mousses bases or meringues. The beaters are badly designed with a central spar that means creamed mixtures get stuck in the beaters, one has to stop repeatedly to try to clear them, which is hard to do with a spatula.

The Busy Mum's Cookbook
The Busy Mum's Cookbook
by Mary Gwynn

5.0 out of 5 stars At last a family cookbook that's not just for toddlers, 24 Aug 2011
I bought this book after reading about it in the Waitrose newspaper. Apparently the author writes their recipe cards which I use a lot. I've cooked three or four of the recipes already (we all really liked the blackberry and apple cake and the Spanish chicken casserole)and they all went down really well. I'm going to buy copies for my two kids who are at university as it's the sort of food they can cook for themselves without breaking the bank or using lots of complicated ingredients. The list of 25 useful storecupboard ingredients is really handy for them too and there's good advice for feeding the family generally. A really useful and good looking book which is going to get well used in my ktichen.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 5, 2011 11:23 AM BST