Profile for Alana The Geek :) > Reviews

Content by Alana The Geek :)

Alana The Geek :) (England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
The Snowman: A Harry Hole thriller (Oslo Sequence 5)
The Snowman: A Harry Hole thriller (Oslo Sequence 5)
by Jo Nesbo
Price: 6.39

5.0 out of 5 stars A chilling thriller..., 2 Mar 2011
This is the first novel I've read by Jo Nesbo, and without a doubt it won't be the last. Nesbo sets his book in the chilling atmosphere of Norway, where it soon becomes obvious that mothers are going missing...
The novel has pace, intrigue and suspense, and towards the last 200ish pages things for me started to fall into place, but in no way was the book predictable or boring, as right 'till the end Nesbo keeps the reader on the edge of their seat, as the novel comes to a climax.
The book has been translated, and often friends have told me that novels they've read that have been translated have been hard work and at times incoherent, however, I feel that Don Bartlett also deserves praise as this is not the case with this novel, the book reads perectly.
The character of Harry Hole is the usual troubled police officer/detective, but Hole in my opinion was a personality that makes him both a likeable and enjoyable character, and at times vulnrable, as he stumbles through the case, jumping from suspect to suspect.
Another great feature is the setting, as I've never read a book set in Norway, so for me it was a breath of fresh air, and to contribute the snowy atmosphere makes it even more creepy.

I just hope Nesbo keeps writing, as I can't wait to read the rest of his novels.

Fall of Giants (The Century Trilogy)
Fall of Giants (The Century Trilogy)
by Ken Follett
Price: 14.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Cannot wait for the next novel!, 2 Mar 2011
Wow!
People highly praise Ken Follett for his masterpiece The Pillars of the Earth, however Fall Of Giants in my opinion is far greater. From the first page I was sucked into the story and atmosphere, as Follett successfully sets the scene, from the mines in Wales to the trenchs. What I love more about this book is the fact it's set in one of my favorite periods in history, and as a student of History it read like a dream, as I nodded my head at every incident that I knew about, ha ha, showing that Follett has certainly done his research. As for the characters, you come to empathise with them all, as you view their situations, this I feel is extremely clever, as we take no one side throughout the book.
Overall the novel is topical, intriguing, and addictive. I can't wait for the next novel in the trilogy!

AQA Psychology B AS: Student's Book (Aqa As Level)
AQA Psychology B AS: Student's Book (Aqa As Level)
by Mark Billingham
Price: 9.80

5.0 out of 5 stars A great revision aid :), 8 Sep 2010
I found this text book extremely helpful in my first year of A Levels. Both in the classroom, to refer to at home and also for revision too :)

The White Queen
The White Queen
by Philippa Gregory
Price: 2.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 8 Sep 2010
This review is from: The White Queen (Paperback)
I found The White Queen a refreshing read after being disappointed with some of Gregory's other novels, as the novel takes on a whole new subject. The plot is gripping as it portrays the unstable society and regency in England during what can only be called a civil war, and this is shown through the eyes of Elizabeth Woodville. Woodville conveys this as she has to seek sanctuary many times and tries to secure positons for her family. The plot is wonderfully written and Elizabeth's and Edward's relationship passionate.
Hope that Gregory keeps on form (:

Earthly Joys
Earthly Joys
by Philippa Gregory
Price: 6.29

3.0 out of 5 stars Earthly Joys...This was not, 8 Sep 2010
This review is from: Earthly Joys (Paperback)
I've been a big fan of Philippa Gregory for quite a few years now, and I've read nearly all her books. However, Gregory intrigues her readers with a delicious cover, and before you know it you've brought her book!
The back of Earthly Joys didn't much appeal to me, despite the fact I loved so many of her other books, but after it had been ranted and raved about by someone I know, I decided to give it a go.

However it was hard work and basically boring :(

The subject matter could have been a little more interesting, but I can't help but feel Gregory just gave us some historical facts, a whole lot of gardening description, and forgot about the juicy bits of court life, that could have made it exciting. After all, it's fiction, so the reader takes it with a pinch of salt. In addition the characters I just couldn't like, as I felt John was a disappointment to his wife, as he'd only serve his employer, and therefore spent too much time trying to earn brownie points, when in fact he was taken advantage of. Therefore John, for me, was a weak character. I also couldn't help but strongly dislike both the kings and Buckingham.
What's more, Gregory once again gives us a cringe worthy sex scene (she did that quite a lot in Wideacre), and although it's meant to be romantic, for me it sadly wasn't.

I struggled through this, and won't be trying to read Virgin Earth any time soon :(

Drop Dead Beautiful
Drop Dead Beautiful
by Jackie Collins

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT!, 8 Feb 2008
This review is from: Drop Dead Beautiful (Paperback)
At the age of 13 naturally I'd never heard of Jackie Collins...I was on holiday, and having finished my Harry Potter book I went to the hotel's library where I found this book. The cover looked wonderful, and I felt in need of some girly book, but lets just say, do not judge a book by its cover!

From the first chapter I was absorbed. Never had I ever read anything like it and I was amazed and compelled. I finished the book in a matter of days and as soon as I got home I brought loads more Jackie Collins.

The more I read the more I realise why I love these books, as it's due to the fact they're paced, racy and there's lots of characters, with things happening in their lives, which later adds up to a bigger conclusion, as everything ties together.

There is more defiantly always a dramatic climax at the end of a Jackie Collins novel!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5