Profile for S. Slaughter > Reviews

God is Great, I'm Not [DVD]
Dvd ~ Audrey Tautou
Offered by GX-ENTERTAINMENT UK

3.0 out of 5 stars God is great, I am very small, 1 Feb. 2016
This review is from: God is Great, I'm Not [DVD] (DVD)
This is a strange movie about a spiritual girl, Michele (Audrey Tautou), who falls for an aggressive and charmless man, Francois (Edouard Baer). He does nothing nice for her (well, one thing - he buys her a book) and yet she stays with him. He is controlling, critical, jealous and unpleasant and offers no redeeming characteristics (unless you count being a vet a redeeming characteristic), yet still she sticks to him - very strange. This nasty man is devoid of spirituality and, apart from wanting to conquer and control her, shows no hint of genuine affection in his actions towards her, other than physical embrace.
I say nasty because he latches on to Michele after a party where she is obviously upset and emotional from breaking up with her boyfriend. Clearly a predator, he follows her and when she wants to go to church to pray on her own he interrupts her prayers and takes her to his home for sex. Being in a highly emotional state, Michele is not really ready for this and ends up trying to commit suicide. His reaction to this is anger and he distances himself from her. This, to my mind, is the work of a nasty man.
As soon as the intimacy between them is lost he becomes abusive, abrasive and critical. I watched the film wanting to know why she is supposed to like him. It didn't work for me. Her ex-boyfriend is far kinder and yet, inexplicably, she dumps him.
I think Audrey Tautou is one of the very best actresses in the world. Her fluency of expression is superb, and her emotional range and depth is phenomenal. She brings the flawed character of Michele to miraculous life but, for me, the dynamics of her relationship with Francois just didn't make sense.
Not a bad film, just about improbable people.
The French title of the film seems more appropriate to me than the English one, some subtlety lost in translation.

Precision Men's Leather Watch Prew0024
Precision Men's Leather Watch Prew0024

1.0 out of 5 stars Review for Precision men's watch, radio controlled, solar powered, 22 April 2014
This was bought as a present and the recipient was pleased with the watch for a few months until it stopped working. It is embarrassing buying somebody a birthday present that doesn't even last six months, let alone a year! As it was still under guarantee, I sent the watch back to the sellers and after a while it came back and it was working again. I can forgive something going wrong once but the watch again stopped for no apparent reason some months later. As I was going to have to pay for the postage again, I decided that it was not worth bothering with getting it repaired again and bought a Casio, radio controlled watch instead. Although the Casio has a battery it seems to be far more reliable than this watch and it was cheaper. I do not think the Precision watch is worth paying £50 or more for as it is not reliable. The Casio I bought was half the price of this watch.

Aiptek AHD T8 Pro 1080P HD Camcorder with Digital Camera and Unique Integrated USB Cable - Silver

1.0 out of 5 stars Aiptek T8 Pro DV Camcorder, 2 May 2010
This item was a disappointment to me and I wish I hadn't bought it. It looks decent, is compact and sits snugly in the hand. At the highest resolution and in HD mode the pictures of close up objects are clear and sharp. Any objects further than three feet away become blurred. I cannot believe anybody will find this item useful.