Profile for Anne Oliver > Reviews

Anne Oliver

The Silver Linings Playbook
The Silver Linings Playbook

5.0 out of 5 stars Strong voice, great characters., 13 April 2013
Let me make this clear. I am not a sports fan, and being a Brit have no clue about American football. However, I found that the sports aspect of this novel did not spoil my enjoyment one bit - in fact, it added to it. Football, I feel, highlighted the difficulties in Pat's relationship with his father - they only really relate through their love of football - and Pat's need to find something he feels passionate about when everything else in his life is unstable. I love it when a book can take something I don't like and make me feel strongly about it. Great characters, especially Tiffany and his psychologist, Cliff. This book really shines. Highly recommended.

The Afterlife Club
The Afterlife Club

3.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyed, but shame about the ending!, 13 April 2013
I loved the premise of the book. The thing that I enjoyed reading most were the descriptive passages about the afterlife and the bike workshop, which were beautifully done. The writer obviously has a vivid imagination and is good at conveying her creative vision to the reader. There were also some great characters and I really enjoyed the sub-plot with the doctor and her parents, which all linked together at a nice pace. This should have gotten a four star at least. However, I was very disappointed by the ending, as it felt very rushed and a bit cliche. Sad as it sounds, I would have liked to see Madeleine move on in the afterlife, after seeing her family all sorted out, leaving the reader with a sad, but fulfilled ending that would leave us wanting more. The writer is obviously good and has a lot of talent for descriptive work and characterisation. If you are reading, Jude, please rewrite the ending, and I will be the first to come back and do a four/five star review!

Write a Great Synopsis - An Expert Guide
Write a Great Synopsis - An Expert Guide

4.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff., 13 April 2013
Written in an informal style, with relevant examples and brilliant advice. You finish the book feeling like you have had a masterclass with Nicola herself. Highly recommended for authors who are struggling with their synopsis. Thanks Nicola!

Dear Agent - Write the Letter That Sells Your Book
Dear Agent - Write the Letter That Sells Your Book

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally...a book that makes it easy!, 13 April 2013
Nicola Morgan obviously knows her stuff. I would strongly recommend authors currently seeking representation to invest in this. Her writing style is very accessible and she illustrates her points with relevant examples. This vastly improved my covering letter and I went on to invest in her synopsis how-to book, which is just as useful. Thanks Nicola!

The Barber Surgeon's Hairshirt (Barney Thomson Book 2)
The Barber Surgeon's Hairshirt (Barney Thomson Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant., 23 Jan 2013
Read the first one as a freebie and then bought the second. Both made me chortle repeatedly and improved my vocabulary better than readers digest ever did. Hats off to douglas for managing to make me laugh and educate me simultaneously. Loved the characters, the banter, plot, the lot. Looking forward to the next one.

Surviving Schizophrenia: A Memoir
Surviving Schizophrenia: A Memoir

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving and insightful, 20 Jan 2013
I would like to thank Louise for her honest and open account of dealing with her illness. Well written and extremely moving, I feel that her narrative gives true insight into the disempowering experience of mental health diagnosis and treatment. I am currently training as a mental health nurse and her story will certainly influence me as I begin my career and beyond.

The Story Book - a writers' guide to story development, principles, problem resolution and marketing (The Story Series 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant tool for writers., 31 Dec 2012
Thankfully, this book doesn't try to tell you how to write a bestseller or give you shortcuts that will enable you to write a script or manuscript in ten days. What it does so well is give you the tools to harness your creativity and develop a greater understanding of the mechanics of story. I found it an incredibly helpful and interesting read filled with advice from successful writers and industry professionals. Highly recommended.