Profile for Filthy Raider > Reviews

Content by Filthy Raider

Filthy Raider "Filthy Raider" (Dorset, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Star Wars: The Force Awakens [Blu-ray] [2015] [Region Free]
Star Wars: The Force Awakens [Blu-ray] [2015] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Harrison Ford

5.0 out of 5 stars Ten Again, 21 April 2016
I think if you have to say the worst thing about The Force Awakens it is that someone has taken all your favourite Star Wars toys and is playing with them, and you are just watching. And that in a nutshell is most likely what causes most people the MOST grief about the film.

For me my first "awareness" of the whole Star Wars saga was back in 1976 when we heard via newspapers and the odd TV news that "something" was coming across the Atlantic. And I was sitting in school and we'd just been given a new "book" catalogue and there was the paperback for Star Wars written by George Lucas (as I learned a few years later actually by Alan Dean Foster............)

Loved the first (no 4). Actually read the book of Empire Strikes Back before I saw the film (another Dean Foster tie in) - those were the days - and although I liked Return of the Jedi I did think it had gone too "childish". In fact I saw it in a packed local cinema, now an OAP home, where at 17/18 I was the oldest person amongst a mass of 7 to 12 years olds. The target audience. Then.

Now JJ Abrams and me are about the same age and he has tackled what most would not want to tackle. Something that has to "hit" me and my age group and something that will "hit" the new target market like my kids who have grown up with Dad saying "You HAVE to see this!"

Yes we all suffered through the Lucas era of I, II and III. Not so much someone playing with your toys but actively selling new ones to you!

And that is what is strange about this film. It does not SELL you anything. Old characters, new characters, old ships, new ships, but Disney have been surprisingly "adult" about it. Maybe in many years when we have Star Wars 27: Return of Jafar and His Crazy Sidekick..........

So no spoilers and I did not see it on release, I waited for the Blu Ray, but it is worth it. And something else? It is a film that will be worth watching again, and it will get better with each viewing.

Blu Ray quality is excellent - they really could not drop the ball. Abrams likes to move the camera and some of the shots in the aerial battles are stunners and will NEED to be watched again and again.

I'd had a rubbish week with me losing a job through redundancy. This was something to look forward to. It made me forget. It did what Star Wars was meant to do.

Roll on the rest, Disney.

Into The Woods [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Into The Woods [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Meryl Streep
Offered by Gottahunch

3.0 out of 5 stars Please Just GO Into The Woods!, 22 Mar. 2016
There will be two schools of people who watch this. Those who saw Les Miserables and loved it, and those that did not. My daughter LOVES it. Me? Mmmm. After twenty minutes of various characters singing "Into The Woods!" I started to blanch. At some point these people MUST get Into The Woods without all the singing. Just go there for gawd's sake!

I can remember a Simpsons episode where Homer excitedly watches Paint Your Wagon expecting a Western and ends up screaming "Why are they SINGING?!" and I felt much the same. As a standard 'story" I would have happily enjoyed it, but there were no real stand out songs. The "Into The Woods" song sticks with you because they simply NEVER stop singing it for 20/30 minutes.

Saying that, behind it all is a very good fairy story that meant I watched it to the bitter end and there are some great performances here and loads of cameos you do not expect - Chris Pine! Johnny Depp!

I feel generous giving it three. But that is more because my daughter adores it. I doubt I can watch it again. Maybe stream it first before you buy, just in case you end up with a Blu Ray from a Disney Two for One offer..........like I did.

Trainwreck
Trainwreck

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice One Amy!, 15 Feb. 2016
This review is from: Trainwreck (Amazon Video)
I was actually expecting a raucous sex comedy and to start with that is what you fall headlong towards, much as the trailers seemed to show.

What then hits you is actually a clever romantic comedy that climbs out of the wreckage of the start - not that it is bad at the start, it's just not going to be for everyone. By the end we were thoroughly enjoying the film as, yes, the main character starts to rethink her way of life.

Amy Schumer is excellent, there are quite a few US sports references and for those of us who have no idea WHO Lebron James was, it is still funny watching him moan about missing the latest Downton or bitching about splitting the bill despite being a multi-millionaire sports star.

My wife has a fair few "chick flicks" I have watched with her and I suppose How To Lose a Guy in Ten Days is a close one to this, but this to me edges it as it tends to come over a little better, it can be rude but it is funny and pretty heart warming.

Mudder Silicone Thumb Stick Grip Caps Protect Cover for PS4, Xbox 360, PS3 Controllers (10 Pack, Black)
Offered by Mudder Online UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy Them BEFORE The Controller Goes!, 15 Feb. 2016
My official 360 controller was starting to lose the rubber on the left stick. First cracking then splitting off.

Spotted these and would have gone for the coloured ones, but for the cost, so went for the plain black. Had visions before they arrived of having to chip off the old rubber on the stick BUT no!

These fit snuggly over the sticks with the original rubber in place, nicely studded to "hold" your thumbs and after several weeks playing I am wondering why I have bought them before.

What you need to do is fit these to a NEW controller and not do what I did and wait for the controller to NEED them. You will enjoy the comfort and keep your controller in better condition.

So spending £30+ on a controller? Get a pack of these as well. You get ten so that is enough to fit two sticks and keep some back or share them around.

Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation
Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation

5.0 out of 5 stars No 5 is Alive!, 15 Feb. 2016
I have to admit I have always felt the first Mission: Impossible was always the best. Now I have the second best.

That's not to knock this one, I just love Red Light Green Light!

This one introduces a new face in Rebecca Ferguson (from TV's The White Queen) and brings back plenty of the older faces to good effect. The much touted Cruise on a Plane stunt is right at the start, but still manages to thrill, and the story motors along well with Sean Harris a particularly nasty bad guy.

Cruise seems happy to mock himself, the fight at the opera where the assailant stands up is reminiscent of Marty McFly meeting Biff in Back to the Future, and this is an ensemble piece rather than a one man action film. Good story, great stunts and action and thoroughly enjoyable.

Roll on number six (just try to forget No.2)!

Speedtest.net Mobile Speed Test
Speedtest.net Mobile Speed Test

5.0 out of 5 stars Ready Steady Go!, 15 Feb. 2016
Ever REALLY wondered what your 3G or 4G phone is actually connecting at?

What is the wifi like at home or out?

I use Speedtest on my laptop so was pleased to see the mobile app and it works a treat. Out and about you can see just what your network provider is..........providing.

At home I use it to test the wifi signal. Easy to use, keeps a record of previous tests, and even if it doesn't actually change your connection, you just KNOW what you are getting.

Skorppio Vodka 70 cl
Skorppio Vodka 70 cl

5.0 out of 5 stars Waiter! There's A Scorpion in My Vodka!, 15 Feb. 2016
This review is from: Skorppio Vodka 70 cl (Wine)
Okay the novelty factor - there is dead scorpion in the bottle. Ours looked rather casual with one claw raised and one he seemed to leaning on.

Edible apparently...............Right. We have already talked about giving the chap a private plot in the back garden as I can't really see us re-inacting whatever those celebs get up to in the jungle.

You can have a lot of fun offering this round with your hand over the bottom of the bottle before doing the Slow Reveal.

But the vodka?

Actually that is the real stunner. It is REALLY nice and smooth, hint of vanilla, could be scorpion but as we have no intention of gnawing on him when the bottle is dry, I won't be able to comment!

The Martian
The Martian

5.0 out of 5 stars Matt The Martian!, 15 Feb. 2016
This review is from: The Martian (Amazon Video)
Andy Weir's book did something very few books have done. I cried at the end. Yes, I had tears rolling down my face as I finished it.

So the the only problem with the film is that I knew the book, knew the story, knew what would happen but Ridley Scott and Matt Damon deliver a delight of a film with an added coda that shows the "after" the book never did.

And at the right moment.........yes, tears.

Thoroughly gripping, tremendously shot and acted, and it's not a Robinson Crusoe one man stand. Jeff Daniels, Sean Bean, Jessica Chastain to name a few - you will like Sean Bean's Lord of the Rings in joke if you spot it. And as a spoiler, Sean lives for once!

Watched this on Amazon Prime, and the streaming was good quality without a hitch. Good picture and sound even though I am too mean to rent HD!

One of those Must Sees and it will be on my Blu Ray shelf when the price drops.

Vacation
Vacation

4.0 out of 5 stars Re-Vacation, 7 Feb. 2016
This review is from: Vacation (Amazon Video)
Okay, I had had a drink, but this film had me laughing from the titles - not usually a good sign.

You have to take an "open" view when watching this. If there are any Hard Core National Lampoon Vacation fans out there, they are always going to hate what could be called a reboot, remake or even a sequel - the latter is probably more true as it shows the family of Rusty Griswold and introduces us to a new Rusty (as every other film has done - the kids grew up too quick between films to play the roles again apparently) - Ed Helms.

And I think he pulls it off. Married to Christina Applegate and with two sons - both who really do play the parts well - this new Rusty takes his family ..............back to Wally World!

Another mad car, another strange journey and meeting his sister and boyfriend along the way - Chris Hemsworth is very funny - and you have a fairly good comedy that would have stood on its own but its references to the old films simply raise it above.

And you have to think whether the first film was THAT funny. As a comparison we all thought this was better. Still the best one is Christmas Vacation - the one holiday where the Griswolds actually don't go anywhere.

Worth a look for a good laugh - might be worth a drink first, but then I was the person who went to see Naked Gun 2 at the cinema with my wife, stone cold sober and when we left said "That guy down the front was laughing loud".

My wife turned to me, looked me in the eye "YOU were LOUDER!"

Oh hum!

KES Bathroom Aluminum Storage Shelf Basket with Hooks Wall Mount Double-Deck, Silver Sand-Sprayed, A4028B
Offered by KES Home Global

5.0 out of 5 stars Neat Set Of Shelves, 25 Jan. 2016
I bought this after using one from a DIY store - the old one was all glass and chrome which rusted in a year and looked horrible.

This one looked good, hopefully won't rust too. It arrives in a snug little box, very light which makes you a bit worried, and also no instructions - almost marked down a star there!

But you just line up the two rails, drill the holes and screw the shelves on using the same screws that hold it up. Neat little plastic tops for the screws and it will take a good deal in the way of shampoo bottles and shower gels!

Despite being light it does seem very sturdy and is a clean looking set of shelves. In fact the hardest part of installation for me was getting the rusty old shelf off the wall!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20