Profile for R. K. Pavia > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Totally Amazing Spider Tales
Totally Amazing Spider Tales

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun for non-arachnophobe Kids., 3 Sep 2014
I was asked to read this book and provide an honest review. It's raising money for charity, so I happily purchased a copy rather than accepting a freebie.
I believe the book is aimed at children, so I'm not sure my views are completely relevant, as I'm a few years older than a child (physically, if not mentally).

As an adult reader, I found the stories contained within the delightfully named 'Totally Amazing Spider Tales' a little simplistic. However, as already mentioned, I'm not within the target readership. They would probably be just about right for most kids.
A few of the stories had me hooked from start to the lovely little spider image beneath the final sentence of every tale, my favourite being 'Visiting Auntie' by Misha Herwin. This one had a very clear beginning, middle, and end - which satisfied my need for all things orderly.
Some of the tales were quite scary, one or two leaving me with a bit of an uncomfortable feeling after I'd read them. But maybe that's just my thirty-eight year old constitution being much less 'creepy-resistant' than that of the younger folk.
Overall, a fun selection, ideally suited to boys and girls that enjoy the 'fright-factor'. It's well-formatted for Kindle, with some excellent illustrations, and has a deliciously eye-catching front cover.
I'd suggest parents of kids already arachnophobic (or heading that way) have a quick read before giving to youngsters. If they already dislike spiders, some of the stories in this book might just send little Jimmy/Jenny over the edge.

I can't not never not be very tall
I can't not never not be very tall
by Susan Hatton

5.0 out of 5 stars Educational AND Fun. Perfect!, 14 Aug 2014
A beautifully illustrated and cleverly written book. Perfect for reading to, or with, younger children as the pictures are colourful and eye-catching and the book is written in rhyme, which sounds great to little ears. This would be an excellent addition to the library of a pre-school or primary school as it's both educational and fun. Gives a good message about how to behave around any child with a physical disability/learning difficulty, not just the one mentioned in this book.

Made in the Stars
Made in the Stars

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing, Original Romance., 7 Mar 2014
This review is from: Made in the Stars (Kindle Edition)
I found this to be the perfect distraction whilst waiting for a CT scan. Short enough to fit into the hour I had to sit drinking far too much water, but written in such a way that I easily became drawn into a different world, one far removed from beige walls and that hospital smell.

This was a refreshing change from your 'run of the mill' love stories and, though I did eventually see how the tale would pan out, there were a few things I didn't see coming. I particularly liked the author's use of 'futuristic terminology', that helped to competently set the scene from a world far in the future - quite an achievement for a short story.
I also loved the humour, which was injected at just the right points and not overdone; I actually 'lol'd' in the waiting room a couple of times.

To sum up Made in the Stars: it made me laugh, drew me in,and pulled on my heart strings. Original and well written, I recommend this as a good lunch-break read.

FurReal Friends Gogo My Walking Pup
FurReal Friends Gogo My Walking Pup

3.0 out of 5 stars Maybe not worth the money!, 10 Oct 2010
= Durability:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
I bought this for my daughters 9th birthday as she'd asked for one of these walking dog things!
Once I had (using the skills learned during my toy removal from packaging advanced diploma) removed the toy from the packaging, it provided my family a few minutes of hilarity as it yapped at us and made odd whining sounds. After we'd all held it, made it sound not very happy by tipping it upside down and gotten covered in white 'fur' we let the 9 year old play with it!
Basically it yaps a lot, pants and expresses displeasure if you touch it but doesn't do a hell of a lot else. It is supposed to walk forwards on it's lead controlled via a control pad at the childs hand. However,on a relatively flat pile carpet it will only do this for a little while before it appears to get stuck and then just goes back to making disgruntled little dog noises. Guess it's quite realistic in that way!
The child in question played with it for about 10 minutes on her birthday a month ago. Since then it has been sitting on the top of the toybox gathering dust, and shedding fur!
Considering the amount you pay for it and the fact that like a real dog it gets it's fur everywhere I suggest you go to the local rescue centre and get a real one. Much more fun!
Worth noting that we have all carpeted rooms in our house and this has not been tried on hard flooring or outside.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 13, 2011 1:06 PM GMT

Norfolk Blackout Curtains - Pink 66" wide x 54" drop
Norfolk Blackout Curtains - Pink 66" wide x 54" drop
Offered by Ideal Textiles

4.0 out of 5 stars Serves a purpose, 10 Oct 2010
I bought two sets of these, one pink, one blue. They are fairly well made curtains, though the draw cord at the top had been stitched to the curtain in a couple of places. Not a big deal as I managed to pick it out to become 'pullable' again.
As for being blackout curtains, I would say that they do stop a large amount of light from getting in but I wouldn't call them actual blackout curtains. Firstly the material doesn't completely blackout but also as they are quite stiff they tend to not drape very well which means light manages to shine in at the edges and from underneath the overlap when you close them. Maybe this will change if they are washed but I cannot comment on that as yet.
Generally ok. They look nice and certainly let in far less light than the cheap unlined curtains I had before in the two rooms.

Webkinz Golden Pegasus
Webkinz Golden Pegasus

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely!, 10 Oct 2010
This review is from: Webkinz Golden Pegasus (Toy)
My 9 year old daughter has recently discovered these Webkinz soft toys and is absolutely delighted with them. This one is no exception.
Obviously this was bought for a child and not me (at 34) but I can see the attraction. It is very soft and nice to hold, attractive to look at and has the added bonus of coming with a secret code for logging into the Webkinz website.
It is, of course, the website that holds the main attraction, well for a lot of children anyway. Parents can be reasonably assured by the levels of security that are in place for children to use the site safely.
The Webkinz site has various fun activities for users aged 6-13+, some activities including an educational element.
Included in the 'things to do' on the site are two 'chat' areas. One called KinzChat is entirely made up of pre-constructed phrases meaning your child can chat safely to other members without ever giving away any personal info or coming across any content that may not be suitable. The other is called KinzChat PLUS and is restricted to allow parents to have to give their consent for their child to use via an email sent to the parents email account. Once in this chat area there are fairly strict rules governing the words and phrases that may be used eg no swearing and banned words such as 'boyfriend', ensuring your child can chat with other users happily and safely.
My daughter loves both the website and the soft toys and gains a huge amount of enjoyment from them.
This particular product, Golden Pegasus, is very well made and I believe would appeal to any child that still loves or collects soft toys.
The Webkinz brand has many and varied animals in it's soft toy collection and for what they are I think the price is very reasonable. Great line of toys to provide endless solutions when it comes to what to buy for xmas and birthdays for some time.

Mum's Family Calendar 2011
Mum's Family Calendar 2011
by Sandra Boynton
Edition: Calendar

5.0 out of 5 stars Great but slightly too American! Only slightly though., 10 Oct 2010
I bought this calendar/family organiser early for next year as I always forget in the run up to Christmas and the New Year. Well then imagine my surprise(and delight as I didn't like my current calendar) when I opened it up to discover I could already use it as it starts from August 2010! It probably says this in the description somewhere but being unobservant I must have missed it.
Anyway, I always buy the family organiser types as I like to have a column for each member of my family and this one fits the bill there. It even has 'Mum' already printed so saved me some Biro ink! It is lovely and bright with cheerful little cartoon style characters dotted about the place and month/season specific imagery eg love hearts on February. However that is one of the ways that it can be slightly too 'American' (no offence to folks reading from the U.S)for a calendar intended for use in the U.K. For instance the imagery for November is Turkey based (no, that's Turkey 'based' not Turkey baste)and obviously Turkeys are more relevant for us Brits in December, though that is a minor point and in no way hinders you when using the calendar.
The calendar also comes with two sheets of stickers that you can use instead of writing or simply to brighten things up for a bit of extra fun! Various little characters and event titles give plenty of scope for most families. Though again, some more American terms are used here. Another free accessory is a wipe clean important phone numbers board with two magnets on the back to allow it to be stuck on a fridge. Nice as a freebie but I doubt I'll ever fill it all in. It has spaces for everything from Doctors to chocolate shop!
The pre-printed dates cover the U.K events and memorable dates very well (much better than other calendars I've used) and there are a handful of dates from around the world. Great for those with connections in other countries or for teaching your kids about global goings on. There are even dates of significance to religions other than Christianity too.
It is easy to write on in both ink and pencil and has a nice quality 'satin' look to it's pages.
Finally there is also a handy little 'pocket' at the bottom of the calendar for storing things like receipts, 'take out' menus etc. It sits quite unobtrusively below the pages and even has 2011 and 2012 mini calendars printed on it for quick access.
One minor downside is that it is the type of calendar with an unreinforced hole for hanging instead of one of those little white coated metal hooks. Though the plus of this is that you don't have to take the calendar down to turn to the next month. I haven't torn a hole yet but give me time!
All in all a great product for the price. More than just a calendar and a quirky addition to my already quirky family. I look forward to a full year of organising everyones lives on it!

Brabantia Roll Top Bread Bin - Matt Black
Brabantia Roll Top Bread Bin - Matt Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, 8 May 2010
There isn't a huge amount you can say about a breadbin is there? Still, I have a couple of minutes to kill so here goes.
Very pleased with this item. It is attractive to look at with a lovely matt black, sleek, smooth finish. It is quite large though perhaps not large enough more than one normal sized sliced loaf so not sure how what size of loaf they are talking about in the product info!
Anyway, looks great, plenty of room and the front opens smoothly and without a great amount of noise.
Highly recommend.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 14, 2011 11:45 AM BST

Twist Dial Double Cereal Dispenser Unit
Twist Dial Double Cereal Dispenser Unit

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY!, 8 May 2010
This item is truly awful and is about as good at holding and dispensing cereal as a chocolate teapot would be at holding and pouring tea!
First the instructions that come in the box are in Polish, the only English being 'usage instructions'! Secondly, after filling both dispensers with two different brands of cereal at lower than the maximum hight in each container (I only discovered the hight by getting my daughter to use a translation program and translate the Polish into English, mainly so I knew if it could be put in the dishwasher)I left it assuming all would be hunky dory!
How wrong could I have been? A few hours later I went back into the kitchen and noticed that the whole top part of the unit was leaning forward, more than it had done before being filled. I thought this didn't look that right but continued to assume all would be ok only to be talking at my front door half an hours or so later and to hear an almighty crash and scattering noise coming from the kitchen. The whole top bit had snapped off the base, spilling cereal all over my worktops and kitchen floor.
As you can imagine I was not amused.
To sum up, don't purchase unless you have more money than sense and don't mind losing two whole packets of cereal in one go.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 9, 2011 1:06 PM GMT

Sumnique Universal 90W Power Adapter/Chager for Laptops, Compatible to Dell/Acer/Compaq/IBM/HP/Fujitus/Toshiba/Sattelite/
Offered by Qubz

4.0 out of 5 stars Great but not perfect, 29 Dec 2009
I have to admit that I have purchased this item 3 times now. That IS because I like it but, and it's the reason it loses a star, it appears to get a loose/faulty connection very easily. I buy it for my daughters Toshiba laptop after the original Toshiba charger went bang some time ago.
I buy this one in particular because after trying a couple of others this is the only universal adaptor that I've found that doesn't get blazing hot while in use and doesn't have a faulty connection from the second you plug it in.
Basically for the price it is a great product and if you are not 13 years old and prone to being too clumsy and volatile then this should work fine for you. Just be careful that you don't knock the small adaptor plug whilst it is attached to your laptop or you will find that the connection is never the same and eventually will fail altogether.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3