Profile for Emeritus Elder > Reviews

Content by Emeritus Elder

Emeritus Elder

Christian Mission in the Modern World (IVP Classics)
Christian Mission in the Modern World (IVP Classics)
by John Stott

5.0 out of 5 stars A John Stott Classic!, 17 Mar. 2013
It is written by John Stott so must be listened to with care and respect. The combination of genuine, scholarly Christian spoken witness ("preaching" though this is a misused word) with real compassion is much needed and truly refreshing. At 86 I would prefer a larger format but as I have also bought it for my Kindle I tend to read it most frequesntly in that version.

Kindle Fire 7", LCD Display, Wi-Fi, 8 GB - With Special Offers [Previous Generation]

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but coulr do better., 12 Jan. 2013
It is good value for money - but easier to use Instructions wold have been better.
As ever an object like this is barelu out when improvements appear - and I at least cannot afford to keep buying the latest version.

The Great Divorce
The Great Divorce

5.0 out of 5 stars Where is heaven?, 24 Dec. 2012
This review is from: The Great Divorce (Kindle Edition)
This book will appear strange at first but is is very well worth the effort of reading, thinking - and praying - about, right through to the last page!
Godfrey Burden - a Lewis fan of many years!

Out of the Silent Planet (Space Trilogy Book 1)
Out of the Silent Planet (Space Trilogy Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Lewis's Cosmic Trilogy, 13 Aug. 2012
Like the Narnia stories C.S.Lewis's Cosmic Trilogy are best read in "historic order"
Narnia begins with "The Magicians Nephew" (NOT The Lion.the Witch,and the Wardrobe); The Cosmic Trilogy begins with this book, "Out of the Silent Planet".
Each series contains so much of Lewis's thinking and for which my generation of Christians should be greatful.

Unsurprisingly the book is best read with some understanding of the science (cosmology) and philosophy (materialistic atheism) of the 1930s, the period when it was written. "Weston" a principle character is western man, while Ransom is the embattled 'hero' (though in the last of the trilogy this contradicts that interpretation)
I find a need to re-read both series from beginning to end at least once every few years - "Out of the Silent Planet" is due for such a re-read!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars GWB MidWales, 11 July 2011
This does (almost) everything claimed for it plus quite a lot more. Adding titles is easy (with an Amazon account - without one I do not know)The "almost" refers to the variable degrees of ease/difficulty in searching a publication. Quite apart from some general reading I use mine regularly in church services of the kind where 40 minute sermons (! yes!)can can chase through a good deal of the Bible but some other books are tedious so search in.I have just discovered he value of high-lights and have added one or two of my own. On my recommendation we have just given a Kindle 3G to a young family going to work overseas. Physically heavy reference material quite impossible to pack into their weight allowances are no problem at all with a Kindle (i.e. I have loaded the ESV Study Bible onto mine and so have a theological library with me at all times.) Visitors at home and friends at church are equally fascinated and impressed.

You can change: God's Transforming Power for Our Sinful Behaviour and Negative Emotions
by Tim Chester

4.0 out of 5 stars Kindly Light, 10 April 2011
This was bought as basis for discussion by a church "Home Group" which I lead.
It has been much appreciated by most of the 9 or 10 folk participating in its use (with their own copies I must add!)