Profile for Rich > Reviews

Die Another Day - Special Edition [DVD] [2002]
Dvd ~ Pierce Brosnan|Halle Berry|Rosamund Pike
Offered by Springwood Media

1.0 out of 5 stars Truly Shocking, 30 Nov. 2003
So, you want to buy this on DVD. Did you see it in the cheap list? wonder why it's that price? They just want to get rid of the stock that nobody wants, because it's awful. I gave it one star because amazon wouldn't let me put minus 7.
If you've never seen any Bond films, ever (and come on, who can really say that) then you might enjoy it, because it's got plenty of speed, action and an over the top story line. But the truth is, Bond is so popular because it keeps the same great formula, with a mix of action, comedy, evil villains and, of course, more than Bond's fair share of gorgeous ladies.
But in trying to bring Bond 'into the 21st century' the producers have just lost everything that Bond, James Bond stands for, and Die Another Day just becomes another film, but the one with really bad computer graphics.
If you want another two drinks mats (as it's a 2-disc set) or a film to laugh at, but not with, by all means, buy this. If you like Bond, DON'T!!! And persuade the producers to bring back the 40-year-old Bond that we know and love!

The Swiss Family Robinson (Everyman's Library Children's Classics)
The Swiss Family Robinson (Everyman's Library Children's Classics)
by Johann Wyss

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, in my top 5 of books, 20 Nov. 2003
I've read my brother's battered paperback copy X number of times, and thought it was about time I had my own, as it's one of my favourite books. I was surprised, though, that it seemed quite different! Having been translated probably more times than I've read it, it was unsurprising that this is a different version, and as each translator pretty much rewrote and 'improved' the book, you can see where this is going, you can't really get an accurate English version! That said, I still enjoyed it, it's an excellent read, for kids and big kids. More adventurous than Swallows and Amazons and easier reading than Robinson Crusoe. Buy it!!

The Dirk Gently Omnibus
The Dirk Gently Omnibus
by Douglas Adams

2.0 out of 5 stars Comedy?, 20 Nov. 2003
Having adored the Hitchhiker 'trilogy' I bought this with no doubts whatsoever. I've only read the first book so far, and crawled through that. I'll probably attack the second book at some point if I'm feeling brave, but until then, it's sitting on my shelf gathering dust.
There's no doubt that Douglas Adams was a genius, but I was very disappointed in this purchase.