Profile for J. Parkin > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
My Beauty
My Beauty

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it. Music, 17 Jan. 2016
This review is from: My Beauty (Audio CD)
I approached this album with caution, having read some of the reviews posted here. However, I love it. Music, and the appreciation thereof, always will elicit differences of opinion. Kevin Rowland, the artist, for me has shone since I heard 'Geno' on the radio; this album does not dim that light. Hyperbole and purple prose apart, do yourself a favour and indulge in the selections here; Mr Rowland does justice to each song - and then some!

Stories
Stories

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 11 Oct. 2015
This review is from: Stories (Audio CD)
if you loved 'True' you'll love this. Fabulous!

Grey Tickles, Black Pressure
Grey Tickles, Black Pressure

5.0 out of 5 stars New songs by John Grant are always eagerly awaited by ..., 11 Oct. 2015
New songs by John Grant are always eagerly awaited by his many fans (myself included!!). If you already know John's music, or if you're a new to it, you certainly won't find anything "Disappointing" here!

80's Dance Story Original Italo Hits
80's Dance Story Original Italo Hits

4.0 out of 5 stars Memory Lane (for some!), 1 Feb. 2015
If you like Eurodisco, then you'll already be aware of Italo Disco. This album is bursting with Italo Disco hits, some good, some not so good (it has to be said, hence only four stars!!), and some excellent. From the first track I rolled back the years to my "clubbing days"! Yes, this is 80's nostalgia, but most of the songs, if released today, would be a hit in any nightclub.

New Music For Amnesiacs - The Ultimate Collection
New Music For Amnesiacs - The Ultimate Collection

5.0 out of 5 stars Superlatives Aren't Big Enough!!, 13 Dec. 2014
I hesitated for a long time before getting a copy of this, since I have copies of all Sparks' previous albums. Now I have a copy I wonder why I didn't buy on it's release in 2013! If you have the slightest interest in Sparks music and don't yet have any recordings in your collection, then get this!! You WILL NOT REGRET IT. I have been a lifelong Sparks fan and I have been moved anew while listening to this "musical jewellery box". I admit I'm biased, but there truly is not one bad or mediocre song in this collection. I bought this as a Christmas present to myself. I really didn't need that excuse. This is a joy from beginning to end.

The Hot Sardines
The Hot Sardines
Offered by MediaMerchants

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!!, 7 Dec. 2014
This review is from: The Hot Sardines (Audio CD)
Superb! The Hot Sardines breathe new life into some classic jazz standards. Five stars is not enough to express how exceptional this collection is.

Jerry Springer - The Opera [DVD] (2005)
Jerry Springer - The Opera [DVD] (2005)
Dvd ~ David Soul
Offered by FREETIME

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous production, 26 Dec. 2013
A superb show from start to finish. David Soul is perfect in the role of Jerry Springer. The ensemble cast are magnificent.

Shadow Theatre
Shadow Theatre

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning!, 26 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Shadow Theatre (Audio CD)
Another amazing album from the unique talent of Tigran Hamasyan. Once again he is accompanied by a superb band of musicians who bring to life his mesmerizing music. A five-star rating doesn't do it justice!!

Verdi: Rigoletto [Paolo Gavanelli, Marcelo Alvarez, Christine Schäefer, David McVicar] [Opus Arte: OAMO6005D] [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Paolo Gavanelli

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb production!, 25 Nov. 2013
I can only concur with other reviewers. This is an excellent production in all departments. The set is spare but effectively used. David Mcvicar's direction is faultless. I can add no more. If you are familiar with the opera or new to it you cannot go wrong with this production. Highly recommended!!

Handel: Organ Concertos
Handel: Organ Concertos
Offered by japazon

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!, 21 April 2013
This review is from: Handel: Organ Concertos (Audio CD)
I recommend this to anyone who has even just a passing interest in organ music. Simon Preston's playing is outstanding. The Menuhin Festival Orchestra prove the perfect partnership in this delightful reading of some of Handel's most inspired scoring.

Page: 1 | 2