Profile for J. Parkin > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
New Music For Amnesiacs - The Ultimate Collection
New Music For Amnesiacs - The Ultimate Collection

5.0 out of 5 stars Superlatives Aren't Big Enough!!, 13 Dec 2014
I hesitated for a long time before getting a copy of this, since I have copies of all Sparks' previous albums. Now I have a copy I wonder why I didn't buy on it's release in 2013! If you have the slightest interest in Sparks music and don't yet have any recordings in your collection, then get this!! You WILL NOT REGRET IT. I have been a lifelong Sparks fan and I have been moved anew while listening to this "musical jewellery box". I admit I'm biased, but there truly is not one bad or mediocre song in this collection. I bought this as a Christmas present to myself. I really didn't need that excuse. This is a joy from beginning to end.

The Hot Sardines
The Hot Sardines

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!!, 7 Dec 2014
This review is from: The Hot Sardines (Audio CD)
Superb! The Hot Sardines breathe new life into some classic jazz standards. Five stars is not enough to express how exceptional this collection is.

Jerry Springer - The Opera [DVD] (2005)
Jerry Springer - The Opera [DVD] (2005)
Dvd ~ David Soul
Offered by Springwood Media

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous production, 26 Dec 2013
A superb show from start to finish. David Soul is perfect in the role of Jerry Springer. The ensemble cast are magnificent.

Shadow Theatre
Shadow Theatre

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning!, 26 Dec 2013
This review is from: Shadow Theatre (Audio CD)
Another amazing album from the unique talent of Tigran Hamasyan. Once again he is accompanied by a superb band of musicians who bring to life his mesmerizing music. A five-star rating doesn't do it justice!!

Verdi: Rigoletto [Paolo Gavanelli, Marcelo Alvarez, Christine Schäefer, David McVicar] [Opus Arte: OAMO6005D] [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Paolo Gavanelli

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb production!, 25 Nov 2013
I can only concur with other reviewers. This is an excellent production in all departments. The set is spare but effectively used. David Mcvicar's direction is faultless. I can add no more. If you are familiar with the opera or new to it you cannot go wrong with this production. Highly recommended!!

Handel: Organ Concertos
Handel: Organ Concertos

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!, 21 April 2013
This review is from: Handel: Organ Concertos (Audio CD)
I recommend this to anyone who has even just a passing interest in organ music. Simon Preston's playing is outstanding. The Menuhin Festival Orchestra prove the perfect partnership in this delightful reading of some of Handel's most inspired scoring.

Shostakovich: Symphony No. 4 (Arranged for Two Pianos)
Shostakovich: Symphony No. 4 (Arranged for Two Pianos)

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding!, 19 Mar 2013
The Shostakovich symphonies are among the greatest works composed in the twentieth century. The Fourth is, arguably, one of the more significant both musically and politically. To hear it arranged for two pianos is to hear it anew. I cannot praise this recording highly enough. If you love Shostakovich's music you owe it to yourself to witness this.

Collections
Collections

5.0 out of 5 stars A new direction, 3 Feb 2013
This review is from: Collections (Audio CD)
Isn't it in the nature of truly great artists to break new ground? I believe Delphic are truly great artists - this from someone who would never have heard of them had it not been for their appearance on 'Later, with Jools...'(but that's another story I won't bore you with). 'Collections' is a fabulous album. It would have been 'safe' for them to release 'Acolyte mk 2' as another reviewer has suggested. I'm so glad they didn't do this and released what is fast becoming my most played this year (and we're only in February!!). I cannot get enough of this album. My only gripe is the rapping, but that is because I'm not a big fan of modern rap (give me Grand Master Flash any day!). As with any music it is up to the listener to decide whether he or she likes an album or not. I happen to think this album is a major achievement in the progression of Delphic's music. I eagerly await their next.

50 Words for Snow
50 Words for Snow

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 28 Nov 2011
This review is from: 50 Words for Snow (Audio CD)
I can understand some fans being disappointed with this album if all they expected was a re-invention of the Kate Bush musical wheel; a lets go round on familiar ground. I believe Kate Bush to be an artist who relentlessly pushes herself to achieve new goals, not dwell on past victories and wonder how she might re-capture the music of her youth (don't let's forget that she released her first album, 'The Kick Inside' thirty-three years ago!!). That being said, this new album is an absolute stunner. On first play I was totally drawn in to her winter-world. The inclusion of other artists here serves to complement and deepen the beauty of each song. In an album of, for me, moving poetry and music, if I was forced to pick out favourites, I select 'Wild Man' and the hugely entertaining '50 Words for Snow'. 'Aerial' broke new ground, this album pulverises it!

Leather Jackets
Leather Jackets
Offered by EliteDigital UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Not the Best, Not the Worst, 4 Dec 2009
This review is from: Leather Jackets (Audio CD)
Although a lifelong Elton fan, until recently, this album had been absent from my collection. I read the reviews published here and wondered if I would enjoy it. I certainly did! It isn't one of EJ's best albums, but it is certainly not his worst. (I don't think Elton and Bernie are capable of writing a truly bad song). For me the title track opener instantly grabs your attention, but the duet with Cliff Richard ("Slow River") is the stand-out song. Go experience it for yourself...

Page: 1 | 2