Profile for Android > Reviews

Doom (PS4)
Doom (PS4)
Offered by EVERGAME

5.0 out of 5 stars The King of FPS Returns! (Campaign Review), 22 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Doom (PS4) (Video Game)
I'm not a big FPS enthusiast, but I have been a Doom fan for years. And as a long time fan, playing this beast made me happy in so many ways!

The game is shamelessly old school, whilst incorporating a bunch of cool, modern features. A few examples:

Old School - keep moving, jumping, shooting and find ammo / armour / health. No regeneration here to save you folks! There's also a load of classic demons and weapons for all your bloody nostalgia needs! Oh yeah, about the blood... There's buckets of it!

New features - impressive upgrade system for your weapons, suit and Runes (these are add ons earned by completing challenges). The graphics, sounds and visuals are also very impressive!

Doom offers something that so many games seem to have forgotten about today, and that's pure, adrenaline fuelled fun. If you're a casual gamer, you can pick this up and have a quick blast when time suits, but it also offers loads of challenges, secrets and extras for the hardcore fans.

Not played the multiplayer, but for me, that's not what Doom is about. It's about you vs. swarms of demons with only your impressive arsenal and occasionally bare hands. Not going online and having a load of 12 year old kids tell you that they fudged your mom.

Can't wait to go back to the start and do it all again on a harder difficulty!

Doom's back baby!

Repentless (Bonus DVD)
Repentless (Bonus DVD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Repentless... Let it ride!, 22 Sept. 2015
This review is from: Repentless (Bonus DVD) (Audio CD)
This.

Is.

SLAAAAAAYYYYYERRRRR!!!

First of all, the elephant in the room...Can Slayer be SLAAAYYERRR with the unavoidable absence of Jeff Hanneman? In a couple of words: Hell Yes!!

I have been a Slayer fan for a good 10+ years now, with my introduction being God Hates Us All, and with the tragic death of a founding member / key songwriter a couple of years back, it was was looking questionable whether the titans of thrash would return, and if so, be on form.

Well... Slayer haven't only made a strong return, they have gone and made one of the best albums of their career. I'm even going to go as far and say it's better than God Hates Us All. It's that good!

I love Jeff Hanneman - he has of course written some of the best Slayer songs we all know, love and get our arses kicked in the pits too - but there is no denying that Kerry King is more than capable for hauling most of the song writing responsibilities. Repentless is dark, fast and bone crushingly heavy, with lyrics angry enough to make you repeatedly bang your head against the steering wheel as you drive 110mph down the motorway... everything you want from a Slayer album basically!

King also has a go at writing a slow, creepy number which ends up being 'When The Stillness Comes'. The result is a foreboding, gruesome song about a serial killer that sends shivers down your spine as Tom Araya's voice seeps through your speakers, whispering in your ears.

The rest of the tracks are typically - and thankfully - in typical Slayer fashion; filled with lightening fast riffs, blistering solos, beefy double kick and pissed off at the world lyrics.

Any self respecting Slayer fan needs to hear this epic piece. and I also recommend buying the physical version - the artwork is beautifully blasphemous, with the sleeves opening up into an inverted cross which is a nice touch! Plus, you get a bonus disc that has a short album documentary AND a full live set at Waken! There's not much you can buy for a tenner with that much heaviness and awesome!

We miss you Jeff, but I'm sure you'll be happy to know that Tom and Kerry are looking after your legacy with care and respect. They also do a great job bringing your song 'Piano Wire' to life on the album too.

Welcome back Slayer, see you in the pit!

SLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYEEEEEERRRRRRRRR!

Thorogood Sports Men's Atomic Short Sleeve QuickDry Pro Training Top Black Medium
Offered by SportsShopUK

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value running shirt, 2 July 2015
Very impressed with this running / exercise shirt - it's comfortable, light, and dries very fast! Also made from decent quality material, and doesn't feel cheap at all.

Great for running, or any other form of workout. Will be buying another just so I'm not without one whilst the other is in the wash.

Primus & The Chocolate Factory With The Fungi Ensemble
Primus & The Chocolate Factory With The Fungi Ensemble

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Imagination, 10 Jan. 2015
Over the last few months, I have been listening to Primus non stop. They are currently my favourite band - with all of their albums beingjust so different and original, I really can't stop listening to them!

When I read about this project, I saw a few comments saying how 'it wasn't the old Primus' or it was 'too weird'.

First off, all of Primus' albums are really different from each other, plus the fact this album has some members from Les' other musical projects, is it really so surprising it's different? Primus is a band that have always set out to be different and ambitious, and this album is no exception! Taking on one of the greatest soundtracks in movie history, and giving it a wonderfully, dark and creepy twist is no easy task!.

As Les himself put it, there is something very sinister lurking underneath the concept for Charlie and Chocolate Factory, and this album exposes that perfectly!

As a child, I remember the happy, bouncy tunes of The Candy Man, or Pure Imagination, so was pleasantly surprised when I heard these songs not just as covers, but completely reworked and re-imagined! It's almost like what would happen if the film somehow grew up, with it's true colours finally emerging.

Yes it's weird, yes it's dark, yes it's bizarre - but come on... it's Primus!

When first listening to it, I highly recommend doing it properly either through headphones or decent speakers with no distractions... this is not background music, and needs to be absorbed!

I love it! Primus really do have pure imagination.

Mr Mercedes
Mr Mercedes
by Stephen King

4.0 out of 5 stars The King of horror on crime, 21 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Mr Mercedes (Hardcover)
This book took me a little longer to get into than it did with SK's previous installments, but once I did get into it... oh boy, I could barely put it down!

One thing I love about Mr Mercedes is how different it is from all of the books in SK's 30+ year career; there's nothing supernatural here or monsters lurking in the shadows, but there is a frighteningly convincing maniac who simply wants to watch the world burn. It was actually when the book introduced this character (Brady Hartfield) that I really got hooked. He is without a doubt, one of SK's creepiest villains.

There are typical elements of SK of course, such as his way to paint such a vivid picture of the settings it's based in; the highly in-depth characters, and of course,heart pounding tension. The last 40 pages or so I burnt through, simply because I couldn't stand not knowing what was going to happen!

Basically, SK has produced another top class book and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it! If you're a crime fan, then it truly isn't one to miss. Ditto if you're constant reader!

Just remember to lock your car...

Breaking Bad: The Complete Series (includes UltraViolet copy) [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Bryan Cranston

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars is too little, 18 Jan. 2014
I don't know where to start.

To state the obvious, I loved this show right from the series opener to the incredible finale. There was not one episode that I didn't love. Bryan Cranston is my new favourite actor, but to be honest, the whole damn cast do an incredible job! Whether it's a main part or a 5 minute appearance, everyone is damn memorable and give a performance that add to this gold.

But, amazing acting aside, it is all about the story. Pretty standard stuff on paper - Chemistry teacher, Walter White, is diagnosed with terminal lung cancer and needs to provide for his already financially struggling family. Out on a a ride along with his DEA brother-in-law, he comes across one of his former students, Jesse, who has made a bit of a name for himself 'cooking' crystal meth. Out of desperation, Walt decides to team up with Jesse and cook using his own chemistry skills in an attempt to make enough money to provide for his family after he has gone.

As I said, pretty standard stuff. But the magic of this show lies in the plot twists and character development. Throughout the series, you witness the change that this sort of business brings to a normal man and his family in such a way that had me constantly biting my nails and reminding myself that it's 'only a show'. There are also some of the most frightening villains I have seen in a long time.

It's funny, dark, twisted, extremely clever and believable. Breaking Bad is officially the greatest show I have ever seen and will be watching it again with all the bonus features. Vince Gilligan is a genius and every actor in it is a credit to the industry, Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul in particular.

This review does not do the show justice, but I still felt I had to state it.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 13, 2014 7:26 AM BST

Doctor Sleep (Shining Book 2)
Doctor Sleep (Shining Book 2)
by Stephen King

4.0 out of 5 stars Shine on, 25 Oct. 2013
Non surprisingly, I enjoyed this sequel to one of the greatest horror stories of all time. It had incredibly big shoes to fill and considering its predecessor was written 20+ years ago, it could not have been an easy challenge.

Thankfully, Stephen King pulls it off in a story that doesn't just work as a sequel, but as a stand alone novel too.

Don't get me wrong, if you haven't read The Shining, I insist you do before Doctor Sleep. Some of the creepier moments will touch some of your nerves with much greater effect. But if you don't, it's still a great read.

That being said, as tense and nerve racking as some of the moments were in this story, I can't say I ever really felt fear or dread for any of the characters. Maybe this is because in the prequel, Danny was only a toddler and was therefore a lot more helpless, or it could be because the villains in this story were already in trouble. I don't know exactly, but there are other SK novels out there that really had me biting my nails with anxiety for the characters and made me think at the time the villains really were going to win.

Great for the constant reader and good for the newbies, but it's not one of my favourites.

Twisted Dark Volume 3 (Twisted Dark Gn)
Twisted Dark Volume 3 (Twisted Dark Gn)
by Neil Gibson

5.0 out of 5 stars It just gets darker..., 25 Sept. 2013
Just finished this volume and unsurprisingly, Neil's done it again!

More awesome stories with clever links between the characters but it's somehow even darker than the previous two! Seriously, how does that happen?!

Peace and Quiet and Perfection are two of the creepiest stories I've ever read... I'm probably not going to sleep as well as I 'd hoped tonight.

Love this series and cannot wait for Volume 4!

Hail To The King
Hail To The King
Offered by Global_Deals

4.0 out of 5 stars 'classic' Sevenfold, 10 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Hail To The King (Audio CD)
I've only been listening to A7X for about 3 years, around about the time Nightmare was released.

Since then, I've heard all of their albums and have become a fan of them. I can say, this is probably my second favourite (Nightmare being the first).

Each track is unique and throughout the whole album, you hear a whole mix of their classic influences - such as Black Sabbath, Metallica and Guns N Roses, whilst still remaining true to their signature sound.

A great return for the band and a good debut for the new drummer. Looking forward to seeing the material played live, since a load of the tracks are made to be sung along with!

Twisted Dark Volume 2
Twisted Dark Volume 2
by Neil Gibson

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better, even darker..., 7 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Twisted Dark Volume 2 (Paperback)
I have just finished reading Volume 2.

Wow.

I'm pretty annoyed at myself for taking so long to read this since I bought it a few months ago, but I can assure you that I will not be leaving it that long before Vol. 3 and Twisted Light.

Like the first volume, each story has a very dark undertone with an unexpected (and at times haunting) twist at the end. Saying that, this comic somehow seems to immerse you even more so than its predecessor. Each story is easily relative to today's society which is what makes it so powerful.

I also feel like it is worth mentioning that I actually read most of this book in an empty office, and the final story 'Popular' really freaked me out... Yet left me wanting more.

If you enjoyed the first collection, you're going to LOVE this!

Illustrations are once again nothing short of awesome, with credit going to an array of very talented artists who manage to catch the mood of each scenario perfectly.

Well done, Mr. Gibson - another fantastic piece of work and I can't wait to read the next volume!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4