Profile for Ms. S. Bell > Reviews

Content by Ms. S. Bell

Ms. S. Bell "sabell35" (Norfolk UK)

The French House
The French House
Price: 0.59

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of 59p!, 21 May 2013
This review is from: The French House (Kindle Edition)
The last time I felt like this about a book was after Fifty Shades of Grey. The French House is poorly written, it reads as if it was started on a Friday and finished on Sunday. The Female got on my nerves from the start, not saying what she is thinking or wants because 'Men don't like that'. Mind you, she can sort out shower problems and mend a roof after one trip to B&Q.
Not going to bother finishing it because I know it won't improve and several other reviews back this up.
Shallow, lazy and irritating book. Buy a bag of crisps instead

Cheryl: My Story
Cheryl: My Story
Price: 3.32

1.0 out of 5 stars Quite liked her before I read this, 28 Oct 2012
This review is from: Cheryl: My Story (Kindle Edition)
As I said, I quite liked Cheryl before I read this, now I just feel very irritated by her.
The main thing that really gets on my nerves throughout the book, is how NOTHING is her fault, she is totally blameless. She plays the victim all the time. She doesn't even take any responsibilty for not doing any preparation or research for climbing Kilimanjiro (sp?), which is absurd really. Where was her reliable gut feeling then?
I did really feel for her during her awful Maleria, but she could have made a small nod of appreciation to the Doctor's and Nurses that helped save her life, but no, only a slight nod to her friend Derek, who just appeared to indulge her throughout the book.
It didn't help that I read this straight after the wonderful Rupert Everitt book, which is way more honest and reflective.
So, sorry Cheryl but I didnt like or enjoy it. You didnt deserve what Ashley (pathetic and weak) did to you, but at the price of this book, the reader deserves better too. But I guess that's not your fault either
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 3, 2013 11:25 PM GMT

Life, Death and Vanilla Slices
Life, Death and Vanilla Slices
by Jenny Eclair
Price: 10.55

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book I have read for a while, 25 July 2012
This is the first Jenny Eclair book I have read and didnt really know what to expect, but wow, I enjoyed it so much.
It is a real page turner,I found it hard to stop reading every night and therefore finished it in a few days. It pulled me in right from the start and I really felt for the characters, even when they were being awful!
I found it incredibly moving, I found myself saying 'Oh my god!' and the very wonderful twist and I even shed a tear (I don't usually cry at books, honest!).
I really do recommend this book, now it is finished I feel lost.
I just wish her other books were available on Kindle

Fifty Shades of Grey
Fifty Shades of Grey
Price: 3.32

1.0 out of 5 stars The pain was all mine, 16 May 2012
This book made me laugh out loud, I am not sure it was supposed to.
The writing is lazy, repeating scenes and phrases over and over until I wanted to flog myself. The over use of 'holy crap' 'holy moly' 'jeez' and 'inner godess' are an insult to the readers intellegence.
The female lead Anastasha (she was never going to be a Tracey or a Janet was she?) was irritating and self obsessed. Christian had hope as a character but I cannot waste anymore of my life on these books.
I am all for a bit of escapism but I cannot recommend this book and sleep at night

In Search of Greener Grass
In Search of Greener Grass
Price: 4.31

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't mention Ewan and Charlie!!!, 2 May 2012
I approached this book with some apprehension as I am not really 'Into bikes' and that I might not get it, but do like Travel Biographies. I soon realised that although the bike is an important part of the story (obviously!), there is alot more to it.

It was clear that this was not a last minute journey and I enjoyed the build up and planning that becomes 'The Trip' and I was surprised at how much planning it actually took, not to mention the sacrifices the author seemed to make.

It is obviously written by someone who is well travelled in 'The Real World' which made it easy reading for me, as I didnt feel I was reading about a privileged traveller who I couldnt relate to.

The descriptions of the Places visited/passed through are refreshingly honest - good and bad. As are the feelings of the author, who gives away an awful lot of himself, again good and bad, to the reader.

I felt that I got to know alot of the 'fellow bikers' that he came across again and again and I was pleased that at the end there was an update on who did what.

It is a funny book too, cynicism matched with amusing observations,there are several funny ongoing themes in the book and I especially liked what the author describes as a 'Pina Colada moment'.

Towards the end I found myself starting to be concerned for the bike, would it make it? What will become of it? And I had to remind myself that 'I am not really into bikes!!'

I would have really liked to have seen more pictures, however I do recommend this book