Profile for M. Bowes > Reviews

Content by M. Bowes

M. Bowes (South West England)

Page: 1 | 2
Ill Manors
Ill Manors

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, Dark and Gritty, 23 July 2012
This review is from: Ill Manors (Audio CD)
Ok, so I have just finished listening to Ill Manors for the first time and I have to say this is dark storytelling at its very best!

The tone is set from the first track "Ill Manors", and only gets darker from there. The Song I found particularly dark is "Playing with Fire" Featuring Labrinth, as it tells how one of the characters first gets into a gang, and his initiation is pretty brutal and heart breaking. My favourite track is "Lost My Way" as the opening strings section reminds me of proper old school hip hop like Cypress Hill.

There is a little bit of light at the end of the tunnel with "Live Once" Featuring Kano which assures you things will be OK come tomorrow (if you're lucky).

As with Plan B's first album "Who Needs Actions When You Got Words" His ability to hit the nail on the head with his current social commentary is second to none. Add that to the fact that he is one of the very best rappers the UK has ever had and you get an excellent rap album.

I say rap album because that is what it is, please don't come into this album thinking that it's going to be the same soul style as "The Defamation of Strickland Banks" because you will be disappointed. This is Plan B expressing himself in another of his many ways, so just stick with it and listen to the words and you will realise how relevant this album is in today's society.

Paranormal Activity [DVD]
Paranormal Activity [DVD]
Dvd ~ Katie Featherston
Offered by DVDBayFBA

4.0 out of 5 stars When Things Go Bump In The Night!, 1 Feb 2010
This review is from: Paranormal Activity [DVD] (DVD)
Katie and Micah believe their house is haunted by some sort of spirit, so what do they do? Move house? Call the Ghostbusters? No, they decide to do an Yvette Fielding and buy a camcorder and try to catch the entity on tape. Unfortunately the American version of Derek Acorah can't do anything to help them, so they attempt to contact it themselves. Mistake!

Let me start by saying that this film only cost $15,000 to make so don't watch it expecting big budget actors and special effects because that is not what you will get, what you will get is an intense feeling of foreboding as the film goes on, leading to a terrifying finale, that will leave you not being able to sleep for a week.

I believe there were three different endings filmed for this movie, and the one I saw was excellent. I do hope that all three are included on the disc as the others sound very good as well.

This is a class film and if you liked The Blair Witch Project and Cloverfield you will love this.

****1/2 stars

Pandorum [Blu-ray]
Pandorum [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Dennis Quaid

4.0 out of 5 stars Happily Surprised!, 1 Feb 2010
This review is from: Pandorum [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
After reading a couple of reviews before watching this film I was aware that it was going to be a bit of a mash-up of other Sci-Fi/Horror films. Two films in particular that spring to mind when watching are Alien and Event Horizon, although Pandorum is not up to their standards (two five star films in my opinion) due to its unoriginality, it is a very exciting and entertaining movie. The best praise I can give it is that even though I was watching it in a room full of people I still felt alone and isolated. Ben Foster was the standout in the cast but I also enjoyed Cam Gigandet's performance.

My only complaint is with the bad guys. I would of liked for them to have a little less screen time, because I find it creepier when a bit is left to the imagination, for example Jaws is scarier when you don't see the shark but you just hear the music and see the legs kicking underwater.

All in all it was a good movie which had me on the edge of my seat throughout and it looks very good in HD.

Hawkwood's Voyage (Monarchies of God)
Hawkwood's Voyage (Monarchies of God)
by Paul Kearney

4.0 out of 5 stars If You Like GRRM You Will Love This!, 31 Jan 2010
Hawkwood's Voyage is a story of war, politics and discovery. It is mainly set within the 5 kingdoms of normannia where there is fighting in the east, race purification in the west and a power struggle between the church and the kings of the land.

The book has a few different character POV's, but it primarily centres on Hawkwood, Corfe and King Abelyn. Corfe is fighting the Merduk invasion in the east but is struggling to choose between his duty as a soldier and his own personal safety. Abelyn's kingdom is in turmoil as an internal war is being waged against the church who are sending all the heretics and dweomer folk (magical people) they can get their hands on to burn in the pyres. Hawkwood is a captain of two boats whose crew is full of the so called heretics, so when he is offered the chance to take ship in search of new land with a few of the kings choice passengers he takes it with both hands.

This book is comparable to George RR Martins A Song Of Ice And Fire series in a few ways, namely the scope of the story and the fact that there isn't so much a good side and a bad side, but good and bad on both sides. It is also similar to Joe Abercrombie's work in that it is blunt and to the point with a bit of sex and violence as well.

Although I am not a fan of sailing myself and I am not clued up on the terms of sailing (he uses quite a lot of these) I was very impressed with the way the portions of the book set at sea were written, the explanations of life at sea were very vivid and made me feel claustrophobic and at times even sick (in my opinion a good bit of writing). He also writes exciting battle scenes that make you feel like you are in the thick of the action.

This is a great opening and I look forward to reading the other books in the series.

Pandorum [DVD]
Pandorum [DVD]
Dvd ~ Dennis Quaid
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

4.0 out of 5 stars Happily Surprised!, 31 Jan 2010
This review is from: Pandorum [DVD] (DVD)

All in all it was a good movie which had me on the edge of my seat throughout.

Halloween II [DVD]
Halloween II [DVD]
Dvd ~ Scout Taylor-Compton
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

2.0 out of 5 stars I don't know who this guy is..., 12 Jan 2010
This review is from: Halloween II [DVD] (DVD)
...but it isn't Michael Myers.

Michael Myers is a cool, calm, cold killer. He is like a great white shark, silently stalking his prey until the prime opportunity arises to strike, then BAM he's got you, he kills you, he moves on to the next victim.

Zombie's fake Myers is more like a... zombie, there's no subtlety in his stalking, he just sees you and is after you. Unlike the real Michael who will watch you through a window only to be gone the second you turn towards it. But the real way to tell this is an imposter is by the way he kills, Myers would never lose his temper and be as brutal and angry as he's made out to be in this film. It is like Jason Voorhees has picked up the wrong mask by mistake.

As you may be able to see I am quite a big fan of the original Halloween films, and this movie should never have been allowed to take the franchise name.

On a positive side, if this was not supposed to be a Halloween film, but just another slasher flick then it would have been one of the better ones of the past few years, it's scary, well shot and mostly well acted. You just can't mess with the mythology of a horror icon the way Zombie has in this film, if he makes another one I wouldn't be surprised to see Michael running after his victims, with his mask off humming his own theme music!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 8, 2010 12:55 PM GMT

Paranormal Activity [Blu-ray]
Paranormal Activity [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Katie Featherston

4.0 out of 5 stars When Things Go Bump In The Night!, 11 Jan 2010

Let me start by saying that this film only cost $15,000 to make, so don't watch it expecting big budget actors and special effects because that is not what you will get, what you will get is an intense feeling of foreboding as the film goes on, leading to a terrifying finale, that will leave you not being able to sleep for a week.

****1/2 stars

Halloween II [Blu-ray]
Halloween II [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Sheri Moon Zombie
Offered by skyvo-direct

2.0 out of 5 stars I don't know who this guy is..., 11 Jan 2010
This review is from: Halloween II [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
...but it isn't Michael Myers.

On a positive side, if this was not supposed to be a Halloween film, but just another slasher flick then it would have been one of the better ones of the past few years, it's scary, well shot and mostly well acted. You just can't mess with the mythology of a horror icon the way Zombie has in this film, if he makes another one I wouldn't be surprised to see Michael running after his victims without his mask humming his own theme music!

If this film was unrelated to the halloween series I would have given it **** stars but as it is it only gets ** stars.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 1, 2010 11:27 AM GMT

Powerball Neon Pro
Powerball Neon Pro
Price: £17.00 - £31.20

5.0 out of 5 stars Great For Golfers, 11 Jan 2010
This review is from: Powerball Neon Pro (Sports)
I bought a Powerball as an aid to strengthen my forearms for golf. After the first couple of goes I realized it was not just the forearms that got a workout, it is also good for the upper arms and even the shoulders! The Powerball helps with wrist dexterity (also good for golfers) and not to mention it is very addictive, my friends and I were messing about with it for hours to beat each other's highest scores.

After using the Powerball for a few weeks I can certainly see and feel the difference in my arms and I have added some all important yards to my golf shot.

Kodak Z1285 Digital Camera - Black (12.0MP, 5x Optical Zoom) 2.5" LCD
Kodak Z1285 Digital Camera - Black (12.0MP, 5x Optical Zoom) 2.5" LCD

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality Camera, 10 Jan 2010
I bought the Z1285 as a replacement for my old Olympus 5mp camera. I'm not an overly keen photographer but I do like to have quality photos to remember the good times. At the time of purchase this 12mp camera was the highest rated in my price range and I am very pleased with it. There are many different features for the more competent person, but I find the automatic picture type selection to be more then adequate. I did have some problems getting the camera to work when I first got it, but that was my fault as I didn't read the manual so was unaware that the camera required lithium NiMH batteries rather than the normal everyday ones. My only problem with the camera is that it is slightly chunkier then I would have liked, but for the number of pixels at this price I can't complain too much.

Page: 1 | 2