Profile for OldGreyBeard > Reviews

Good Old-fashioned Jams, Preserves and Chutneys
Good Old-fashioned Jams, Preserves and Chutneys
by Sara Paston-Williams

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but could be better, 5 Oct 2012
A very useful book of recipes marred rather by not giving the yield and therefore how many jars you need to prepare and how long the whole recipe takes

Parasene 560 Cold Frame Hanging Anti-frost Heater, Greenhouse
Parasene 560 Cold Frame Hanging Anti-frost Heater, Greenhouse
Offered by The Greenhouse People

2.0 out of 5 stars Rather crude, 12 Feb 2012
I bought one of these back in 1997 to prevent the outside toilet from freezing. It has done this but over the years its shortcomings have become clear. Firstly it is rather crudely made with the bayonet fitting of the top frequently not really twisting cleanly. Rather offputting when you've just lit it and are trying to fit the top. Secondly it seems to have deteriorated rather badly with a lot of the paint flaking off. Thirdly I do worry about its stability when used sitting on the floor as I do. Finally it is difficult to empty completely of paraffin for storage.

By comparison I have recently acquired an old, similar sized paraffin heater from my parents' garage which I am pretty certain was used by my Grandmother - to prevent the outside toilet from freezing. I think it dates from the 1950s and is called the "Dante paraffin heater". Here's a link to a picture of one; [...]
It is a better design having a wider and less tall base giving more stability, a permanently fixed wick mechanism with a separate filler cap. It can be emptied completely. It is also in much better condition despite its age and is better manufactured in the first place. I now use this heater with the Parasene one stored away.