Profile for Mr. J. J. Tracey > Reviews

Content by Mr. J. J. Tracey

Mr. J. J. Tracey (West Lothian, Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Sony KDL42W653 42-inch WidescreenFreeview HD LED Smart TV  (discontinued by manufacturer)
Sony KDL42W653 42-inch WidescreenFreeview HD LED Smart TV (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars superb TV at a great price, 31 Jan 2014
Did my research and this came out top of my list for 42" TVs. It's just the right size for our room according to the guidelines, and provides an immersive experience. I didn't really want a Smart TV as I have a YouView box that gives all that functionality, but there are not many dumb TVs around these days, and the price was not really affected. Picture and sound are superb, and the very slim cabinet with its edge to edge screen doesn't dominate the room when it's switched off.

Philips Shaver Series 5000 with TripleTrack Blades and Pop-up Trimmer PT920/19
Philips Shaver Series 5000 with TripleTrack Blades and Pop-up Trimmer PT920/19
Offered by super star
Price: 95.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent shaver, as expected from Philips, 31 Jan 2014
I bought this to replace my Philishave 8890, whose rechargeable batteries are starting to feel their age at over 15 years of life, and though dropping off from their peak of 60 minutes of shaving time, they still give me about 40, so I'll keep it on as a spare. The PT920 lacks a few of the features of my old 8890 (which was relatively a lot more expensive), such as the digital display showing how much shaving time is left in the batteries, and an adjustable spring to stiffen or soften the shaving heads' tracking. However, neither of those features are essential, and the triple-track shaving heads more than make up for their loss (the 8890 was only single track). The PT920 is also a lot lighter than the old 8890. I've only been using this shaver for a couple of days, so, as with all new electric shavers, it has left my skin feeling a bit rough; but my previous shaver was the same until my skin had adapted to its cutting pattern. After a few days it all smoothed out nicely, and I expect the same will happen with this one. I was warned that this would happen by the salesman who sold me my old shaver, and for some reason this has stuck with me. I've always found Philishave shavers to be very good, and I get a closer shave from them than I have ever been able to achieve with any wet shaving system.

Fosmon Anti-Glare (Matte) Screen Protector Shield for Google Nexus 7 / Asus Nexus Tablet - 3 Pieces
Offered by theWireless USA
Price: 4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good feel, nice matt finish, 4 Nov 2013
Like most screen protectors this was quite tricky to apply without getting dust between the screen and the film, and I only got it right on the third attempt, despite plenty of practise with smaller screens; but it's no worse than others. The material is fairly stiff which makes it easier to handle, but if dust is trapped underneath, this makes quite a large bubble. After a few days most of the bubbles have disappeared. The surface has a papery feel to it, which is quite nice, and doesn't affect the touch accuracy, which is also nice! The anti-glare of the matt surface works well, and the screen is much easier to read in sunlight or under overhead lighting. Screen backlighting appears unaffected, and the image doesn't appear to have lost any brightness.

Le Creuset Wine Accessories WT110 2 Step Waiters, Black
Le Creuset Wine Accessories WT110 2 Step Waiters, Black
Price: 16.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Solidly made and easy to use, 17 May 2013
This is far and away the easiest to use corkscrew I have ever owned. I've tried all the gadgets that claimed this, but they've all been too complicated and unreliable. I've used other, cheaper "waiter's friends" before, but most of those only had single-part pieces to push against the bottle neck, so you could never pull the cork fully out. They were pretty flimsy, too. This one is solid, and has a nice feel.

Celebration Day [2CD+DVD--DVD Case] [2012] [NTSC]
Celebration Day [2CD+DVD--DVD Case] [2012] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Led Zeppelin
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 16.15

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY UNLESS YOU HAVE MULTIREGION DVD PLAYER, 27 Dec 2012
This was advertised on my home page when I logged in to Amazon's UK website some time ago, so I added it to my wishlist, but it wasn't until it was bought for me for christmas that I found out that it won't play on UK (Region 2 / PAL) equipment. Fine if you have a multi-region player but I don't. I didn't think that I would need to check the compatibility of products advertised on the UK website, so it didn't occur to me to look. The NTSC version will only play on North American or multi-Region DVD players, so this has been a very frustating experience, as I have to send it back for a gift voucher, meaning that I am not able to play it over the holiday period. Now I have to wait until I can get to the post office to send it back, and then wait again for the voucher to be issued for me to order a replacement.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 28, 2012 12:07 AM GMT

The Inside Track: Paddocks, Pit Stops and Tales of My Life in the Fast Lane
The Inside Track: Paddocks, Pit Stops and Tales of My Life in the Fast Lane
Price: 6.61

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable holiday reading, 19 Nov 2012
The title implies that Jake might be dishing the dirt, but sadly, he's not. It's an entertaining account of his four years as the lead presenter of BBC's Formula 1 coverage, which includes some amusing anecdotes (such as when he is driving Lewis Hamilton around in a Mercedes supercar), but I didn't really learn anything that I didn't already know. He's very supportive of the direction that the current Formula 1 management is taking the sport, reporting voiced criticisms, but ultimately coming down on the side of the establishment. One thing he is obviously passionate about is the sport's history, making it clear that, while he gives praise to the modernity and facilities available at the 'Tilkedromes' introduced in recent years, it is the historic circuits such as Silverstone, Monza, Spa and Suzuka, that are the heart and soul of the sport.

The book is presented in a subject by subject format, rather than a straight chronological narrative; and this gives Jake the scope to illustrate his topics with examples from Formula 1 history. This, then, forms the basis of a good introduction to the sport, or a book that provides fill-in information for the casual observer who hasn't quite 'got' F1 yet.

I've referred to the author as Jake throughout this review, because he's a very likable bloke, and he feels like a friend on screen. This comes across in the book. He writes as he speaks, in a very accessible style that I enjoyed reading, and I'm going to miss him when he leaves the program at the end of this season.

CLEARANCE! HTC Sensation XE Docking Station / Cradle / Desktop Charger (with additional charging slot for second rechargeable battery + USB power adapter + USB cable)

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not perfect, 4 May 2012
Firstly, this dock holds the phone well, and charges as it should, though I've not tried the a lot for charging a second battery. There are a couple of niggles, though. I Use this as a convenient way to charge my phone overnight without having to fiddle about with sales etc., but there are two intrusive LEDs on the front that I have had to cover with electrical tape, as they are very bright at night. Fine for a desktop in the daytime though, so this is only a problem because of the way I'm using it.
The second problem is that, when the phone is docked it seems to disrupt the touch screen sensitivity. When I tap one shortcut, all of the nearby ones respond, so it is impossible to launch the correct app. I have to take the phone out of the dock, for example, to launch BBC iPlayer: once launched, I can put the phone back in the dock to watch the programme, but it's a proper pain! If you're just using it to charge the phone, and not to do anything else.much while docked, it's fine, but you should be aware of these little glitches before buying
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 27, 2012 11:19 PM GMT

150kg Plastic Coal Bunker Black
150kg Plastic Coal Bunker Black
Offered by TheFiresideShop
Price: 91.90

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid and robust coal bunker, 15 Feb 2012
This review is from: 150kg Plastic Coal Bunker Black
Bought this because I was getting fed up of being ripped off at petrol stations for their small bags of very expensive coal, so I decided to start getting deliveries from a local coal merchant at a fraction of the price per kilo. This will hold 3 standard 50kg bags, but I imagine that it would be filled to the brim at that, so I ordered 2 bags, which leaves a little room for the coal to move about when I'm filling the coal scuttle. Hinges on the two doors are big heavy duty affairs, and the bottom door forms a ramp when open so you can easily get at the coal inside. The doors themselves are double-skinned for robustness. The opening at the top is big enough for the coal merchant to cleanly dump a bag inside without too much coal getting scattered around. The whole bunker is made of a heavy duty hard-wearing plastic compound, and has a bottom to it, so that if you needed to move it, you could do so without leaving a mess behind. Being completely enclosed, the coal is kept relatively dry, although some water did get in during recent storms, but that was an exceptional circumstance, and ingress was minimal. I've given this 4 stars only because I only give 5 stars to completely exceptional products ... I don't think I've given anything 5 stars yet.

ASUS VE278Q 27 inch LED Widescreen Full HD 1080p with HDMI Display Port 2ms Response Time Picture in Picture
Offered by Yakodo - Best-Electronics
Price: 233.66

4.0 out of 5 stars Superb monitor, 15 Feb 2012
Had this on my desk for a few days now, and I have to say I am very impressed. My previous monitor had nothing wrong with it, being a 19" Samsung Syncmaster, but it was the squarer 5x4 format, and I wanted a large HD monitor, mainly to play Flight Simulator on. I could have gone for three monitors for that all-around-view effect, but that would have been very expensive. This 27" wide-screen monitor fills my field of view and allows me to become immersed in the Flight-Sim experience without getting motion-sick! Build quality is of the highest standard, it arrived with no dead pixels, and the display is very evenly lit across its surface. It has a very high refresh rate (2ms) but can still be viewed from side and above without any change in the image until you get to about 45 degs, and is still visible even if you are right on one side of the screen. Colours seemed a little washed out on the default settings, and it is a little too bright for my dimly-lit office, so I need to fiddle with the settings a bit before I'm totally happy, but there is a full range of settings, so I'm confident I can get the different modes set to just how I want them. Excellent quality throughout.

AtFoliX Mirror Foil for Nintendo DSi XL -FX Mirror High quality: Made in Germany.
Price: 14.91

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy-to-fit screen protector, 16 May 2011
I bought these for my Nintendo DSi XL, and I found them the easiest to fit of all the screen protectors I've had. They both went on first time, nice and square, and with NO BUBBLES. This may be because of the practise I've had, but this is the only one that's gone down without the dreaded lifted corner (which gathers dust under it until it looks disgusting).

When fitting any screen protetor you need to have a few tools to hand BEFORE YOU START. Once you've begun, if you have to go away and get something you need, the chances are you'll start getting dust on the back of the film, and that's it game over. So, set yourself up in a well lit area with:

1) A lint free cloth. Get one of those microfiber glasses cleaning cloths from an optician's.

2) A length of sellotape (or similar), to pick up individual specks of dust from the screen, or any that manage to stick to the underside of the screen protector

3) A small pocket knife with a pointed blade (the small blade on a Swiss Army Knife is ideal), to pick up the corner of the screen protector so you can remove it if you need to try again for any reason.

4) A credit card, to smooth the screen protector down as you apply it, minimising any bubbles.

Once fitted, these screen protectors have a mirror finish when the DSi is switched off. This mirror effect is said to disappear when the machine is on and the screens are lit up, but if you have the backlight set to low, or there are dark areas on the game screens (e.g. the black squares on a Crossword puzzle), there is still quite a bit of reflection.

I wouldn't say to avoid these FoliX screen protectors for that reason, because you can get round this to a certain extent by turning the backlight up, and you probably wouldn't notice the reflections in a fast-moving game (e.g. Sonic Rush).

The FoliX FX-MIRROR screen protector are very good in every other way, and although I've only just started using them, they do seem to be very scratch-resistant.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3