Profile for Mr. J. J. Tracey > Reviews

Content by Mr. J. J. Tracey

Mr. J. J. Tracey (West Lothian, Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Force 3D Pro PC Joystick
Force 3D Pro PC Joystick

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Joystick for Flight Sims & more, 11 May 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I have had this joystick for a few years now, and it's just like new; the build quality is excellent. For the force-feedback element, you need a power socket in range, but at least the cable is good and long. It can be used without power, but then you don't get any force-feedback. It would be better if it got its power through the USB cable, but then again, most force feedback controllers need external power because of the forces being exerted. Having two cables instead of one just makes it a little fiddly to plug in when you want to use it.

In use, feel and precision is good, and there are enough buttons to satisfy most gaming and flight simulation needs. In Microsoft's Flight Simulator, when throwing an agile aircraft around, loads are transmitted convincingly through the stick, and it goes eerily slack under stall conditions. Actually, the feedback is excellent for recovering from a stall, because you can feel when the control surfaces are starting to bite the air again.

This stick is also sensitive enough to use for flying helicopters in Flight Sim, although I would recommend using rudder pedals rather than relying on twisting the stick for this, as it's quite hard enough to keep a helicopter hovering without adding having to delicately twist the stick for rudder control.

Ipod Universal Dock Adapter
Ipod Universal Dock Adapter

4.0 out of 5 stars iPod Universal Dock Adapters - excellent product & retailler service, 11 May 2011
I ordered this set of three iPod dock adapters for my 30GB classic iPod on the Wednesday before the Easter holiday, and it arrived on the Saturday! I was very impressed with the service from CAPITAA. The package might have arrived sooner if it hadn't been for the fact that there was no postal delivery on Good Friday. The adapters clicked easily into place on my new Sony micro hi-fi, and on my Grundig bedside clock-radio, so both my iPod compatible systems are up and running. Not sure why Sony don't supply a set of adapters for their iPod dock, but at least I was able to use it with the iPod within a very short time due to the speed with which these arrived.

The Fellowship of the Ring  (Audio CD)
The Fellowship of the Ring (Audio CD)
by J. R. R. Tolkien
Edition: Audio CD
Price: 19.06

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy memories, 30 Sep 2010
I bought this as a replacement for my elderly tape cassette version, which was annoyingly hissy due to the dynamic range they tried to accommodate. The digital version on CD is much, much better. I have loaded it (with the other two volumes) onto my iPod, so I can immerse myself in the story. For all Peter Jackson's genius, even though I do love his film adaptation, this BBC Radio adaptation the definitive one. As they say, the pictures that radio generates in your head are far superior to anything displayed on any kind of (external) screen.

If you are a fan of Tolkien, or even if you are not but want an introduction, you should buy this. Be warned, though! When the whole of the three volumes (this one plus The Two Towers and The Return Of The King) was originally broadcast in 1981, it was in 26 half-hour episodes. The CD version has been edited for continuous play, so all the introductory material for each episode has been omitted, and this makes it a little shorter. However, there are additional tracks for music and songs not in the original versions, which brings it back up to length. So you're going to need to commit some time to listening to this; and don't let the slow beginning put you off - keep going, and you will be glad you did. It is very faithful to the original text with only minor discrepancies and omissions, none of which are enough to annoy even the most ardent Tolkien fan.

Baseball For Dummies
Baseball For Dummies
by Sparky Anderson

4.0 out of 5 stars Not just for dummies!, 30 Sep 2010
This review is from: Baseball For Dummies (Paperback)
Despite the "a reference for the rest of us" tag-line, this isn't really a book you can just dip into; at least, not on the first time of reading. Each section carefully builds your understanding from basic principles to the highly technical. The skills sections are particularly instructive, and came as an unexpected bonus over what I was expecting from this book. I eventually decided that the best way to approach it was to read it from cover to cover.

I was initially a little dismayed at how much of this book was devoted to techniques for playing the game. I am, as a 50+ years old Englishman, never going to play this game, but I wanted to find out more about it, having been a fan for a number of years. Reading these sections, however, has given me a much greater insight into the mechanics of playing the game, and goes a long way to explain some of the less obvious actions of the players. Understanding, for example, how they all train to move into the correct position for a particular direction and flight-type of ball just goes to show how professional these players are. Of particular interest to me was how pitchers are able to deliver such speeds from a standing start: the wind-up, body rotation, and planting of the forward foot are all broken down and explained; as is the grip on the ball, and the combination of wrist and arm action for the delivery. Not only is the "how" explained, but also the "why".

It's a great read, and a wonderful insight into the game, with contributions from some of its greatest living exponents. These are names that even I, brought up outside the baseball playing world, am familiar with.

I've given it 4 stars out of 5, only because the data in the reference sections are so out of date. The book was published in 2005, and is well overdue for an update. There are at least three major league teams that have changed their names between then and now, and another three (to my knowledge) have moved statiums. Nearly all of the records mentioned have been broken, and Barry Bonds hadn't even started his epic home run record chase when it came out. It's a minor niggle, and you can at least have fun pencilling in the latest info.

Clear Anti-glare Screen Protector for the Dell Axim x51 - Gomadic Brand
Clear Anti-glare Screen Protector for the Dell Axim x51 - Gomadic Brand
Offered by Gomadic UK
Price: 11.66

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointly poor - don't buy this., 18 Aug 2009
Very cheap piece of plastic that IS washable, and DOES adhere to the screen with static, but it is NOT anti-glare, NOT finger-print resistant, wasn't branded Gomadic, although it was sent by them, and does NOT aid writing, because the surface is too soft and drags the stylus tip quite badly, making it is hard to get a smooth writing movement. The only thing this product has going for it is that it is cheap, as you get 15 sheets. Having said that, having more of something that's useless is not a bargain, is it? Find something else.

Humax PVR9300T/320GB Digital TV Recorder
Humax PVR9300T/320GB Digital TV Recorder

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic! Only spoiled by basic EPG ... or is it?, 17 Aug 2009
My PVR arrived earlier than the original estimate, allowing me time to set it up and play with it over the weekend. Setup was simple and intuitive, but the main manual, for the more advanced features, is on a CD-ROM, which is just plain inconvenient. I didn't find the sliding panel on the remote control until I had looked at this on my PC.

I have a 720p HD TV, which is the max output from the Humax: maybe people with 1080i/p HD TVs will feel hard done by, but to be honest, it's still a very good picture, and big improvement on my previous Freeview tuners.

The EPG initally looks very basic, showing only 2 hours duration and about 5 or 6 channels at a time; but the keyword and category search functionality makes it one of the most useful systems I have used.

You can set up a favourites list, which you can arrange as you please, and I set it up to miss out all the TopUp, TV shopping, Quiz and kids' channels that we don't watch. Once set up and selected, that becomes the default list for both the EPG and the Channel List.

The Channel List allows you to quickly switch channels, if you know which one you want without having to refer to the EPG, but it ALSO has a pop-out panel that tells you what's currently showing on each channel as you browse up and down. If you're just looking for something to watch right now, that's probably quicker than the EPG. Excellent feature.

If the box has been on Standby, it takes a couple of minutes for the EPG to load, but that's the case with all set-top boxes. Just remember to fire it up before you start settling down to watch, and it'll be there ready for you.

But it's in the recording features that this machine stands out: it has a HUGE HDD, and the intelligent scheduling system is stunning.
It will:
- automatically adjust the recording time if any programme's broadcast scheduling is changed;
- warn you if a program is split around another one (e.g. a film split around the news) and automatically record both halves, missing out the intervening programme;
- if it misses a recording for any reason (e.g. a scheduling clash) it will automatically seek out another broadcast of the same programme and record that (this hasn't happened to me, but I assume it'll warn you that it's going to do so).
etc.

This review is getting too long so I'll end here, but in summary, this is top of the range kit at a very reasonable price.

Oh, and the fan is practically silent, so they've well and truely solved that issue!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 15, 2012 9:30 PM GMT

IPX3 Digital outdoor/indoor Totally Wireless Auto-tuning Stereo Speakers by Vivanco - STANDARD MODEL: 21478
Offered by iShop Crystals
Price: 149.99

3.0 out of 5 stars IPX3 Digital Speakers, 16 May 2009
I bought thesse to put in the kitchen so I could listen to the music that was playing in my dining room. They work well, and can even be heard over food preparation and the kettle boiling. The microwave is very close to them though, and that completely stops them working while it's cooking. The channel can be changed, but I've not been able to find one that isn't affected by the microwave. Not a major problem, though, and that shouldn't stop anyone buying them. They're only 3 watts or thereabouts, so they're not very loud, and they're not hi-fi: there's very little decent bass, but I wasn't expecting really hi-fi sound quality. So I got what I expected, so I'm not disappointed by them. They're good enough to keep me from getting bored while I'm cooking, and that's good enough for me. I like having the remote control, which allows you to mute the speakers, re-tune to the transmitter, and adjust the volume.
The set-up was very easy, and took me about 10 minutes altogether.

May 2011
Since writing the above, I have connected these speakers to a couple of different hi-fi outputs, and the bass is much better - maybe the lack of bass was something to do with the signal coming from my original Denon micro hi-fi

128 Arcade Classic Retro Games
128 Arcade Classic Retro Games

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what I expected, but still good fun, 27 Feb 2009
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Let's get one thing straight to start off with: these are not arcade games - as in, they do not have the type of smooth graphics seen in games machines in arcades, or reproduced in the Jakks TV Plug-in game-sticks. They are actually the 8-bit versions as seen on the Commodore C64 and Sinclair Spectrum. Having said that, it's still fantastic value for money, and brought back many happy memories of my C64. It's missing a few of my favourites, though, such as Wizball, Barbarian and Thrust. It would have been nice to see Elite included as well - I'll have to check the C64 emulator for these.
The controllers themselves are very cheap construction, and I'm not sure how long they'll last, but it'll be great fun as long as they do!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3