Profile for Silverpenny > Reviews

BabyCalm: A Guide for Calmer Babies and Happier Parents
BabyCalm: A Guide for Calmer Babies and Happier Parents
by Sarah Ockwell-Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Reassuring, Informative, Empowering, 5 Dec. 2012
Reading this was extremely bittersweet for me, how I wish this had been published before I had my baby. Before our little-one's arrival I had planned on trusting my instinct, but that's damn tricky when EVERYONE is doing/suggesting something very different. Little comments here and there about 'baby not being on a routine yet', 'tough love' 'you're making rods for your own backs', 'crying is good exercise for their lungs' etc really started to erode my confidence. Had this book been available then it would've given me that much needed reassurance that yes, my intuition was absolutely spot on and actually I was doing a 'good job.' Sadly I was given Gina Ford and Tracey Hogg books just at the time when my confidence in my intuition was at it's shakiest. Thank heavens there is now a book that sets the record straight and empowers new parents. Sarah writes as if you're listening to a well informed sister or best friend, she writes with compassion and a gentle honesty. Along with What Mother's Do and Continuum Concept this book has to be one I'd recommend to new parents..it's the most 'practical' of the three and the most reassuring.

Peepo! (Board Book)
Peepo! (Board Book)
by Allan Ahlberg

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming Little Book, 24 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Peepo! (Board Book) (Board book)
I love the illustrations and the WW2 setting, however it's a bit 'busy' for my 10 month old, though I'm sure she'll love it in time. ' Must still be a bit hormonal because reading it with her brings a tear to my eye. A sweet, little book and a modern classic.

Birth Reborn: What Childbirth Should Be
Birth Reborn: What Childbirth Should Be
by Michel Odent

5.0 out of 5 stars Every Mother-To-Be Should Read It, 24 Nov. 2011
This is a wonderful book for every mum (and dad) to be, In fact I think all the people attending a birth should be given this book too. It's an empowering, uplifting insight into how birthing should be, i.e.:a natural and beautiful process and there is nothing to be feared.

Top Tips from the Baby Whisperer: Breastfeeding: Includes advice on bottle-feeding (Top Tips from/Baby Whisperer)
by Melinda Blau

1.0 out of 5 stars Days of Hell!, 24 Nov. 2011
I *had* to give one star as there was no option for none.

I got this book when my baby was approx 2 months old, I got it after reading Gina Ford after finding that her methods were too rigid and lacking in compassion for my tastes. This one's 'clever', she seems so nice! It targets the fears of vulnerable parents. Telling new mums that they are creating demanding babies and that not having a strict routine would cause all sorts of problems can really knock your self esteem. Nice tactics. Like any good advertising this book makes you feel pretty inadequate. Quite quickly into reading the book I began to realise that we too were 'accidentally parenting' our baby. The debate about cry it out, put down pick up wasn't on my radar when I read this either, I had friends who had babies who slept very well and who were using these books so I thought they must 'work'. So in an effort not to be such a useless failure and to get back some 'control' I tried very hard to get our baby onto Hogg's EASY routine, but it was extremely distressing for my little-one and for me. We struggled on for a few more days but I just couldn't bear it anymore. My little-one not surprisingly wanted to be rocked and soothed to sleep. She wanted my arms, she wanted her mummy. This book doesn't really look at the needs of the baby (mummy!), just on the wants of parents (routine!). I went back to trusting my intuition *and* swimming against a strong tide of opposition. I have since done my research and know that Hogg and Ford's techniques do indeed work; but at a price. Glad I only tried for a few days, genuinely heartbroken for trying at all!

The Baby Name Wizard: A Magical Method for Finding the Perfect Name for Your Baby
by Laura Wattenberg

5.0 out of 5 stars USA Biased But Addictive, 24 Nov. 2011
I agree with previous reviewers, a great book if you are fascinated with names, but it is biased towards American's tastes, so do bear that in mind. I like it because it gives another angle, it addresses how we 'feel' about names as well as the provenance and history behind the names. I like the sibling entries, popularity ratings and the individual sections on different naming styles. I have recommended this book to lots of mums to be. We had already chosen my daughter's name before she was born but this book helped us clarify the 'flavour' of names we like. The website is worth a look too.

The Animals' Merry Christmas (Little Golden Books (Random House))
The Animals' Merry Christmas (Little Golden Books (Random House))
by Kathryn Jackson

5.0 out of 5 stars A Christmas Present from Christmas Past, 24 Nov. 2011
Ah ha! Another little Golden Book that looks like it has been slumbering in Grannie's attic for 2 generations. I hope to be reading this with my children every Xmas for years to come and for them to read it with their kids too. This book, Re-runs of Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer on TV, paper-chains, cheap tinsel and a selection box will re-create the nostalgic wonderfulness.

The Up and Down Book (Golden Sturdy Books)
The Up and Down Book (Golden Sturdy Books)
by Mary Blair

5.0 out of 5 stars Thumbs Up!, 24 Nov. 2011
I love Mary Blair's artwork, as in "I Can Fly" it's fun to see influences from other artists such as Matisse and she uses colour so beautifully. Of course my daughter of 10 months knows all that, but what she really enjoys are the bold colours and simple, repetitive prose. Great book, get it!

The Night Before Christmas (Little Golden Book Classic)
The Night Before Christmas (Little Golden Book Classic)
by Clement C. Moore

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 24 Nov. 2011
As a lover of anything that looks like it came out of my grandma's attic, I was keen to buy this book for my daughter and her cousin for Xmas. I have had some other lovely Little Golden Books, I like them because they have the look of an original but without the wear and tear. Sadly this binding is a bit disappointing, It's as though the pages are 'stuck' it's hard to explain but it makes it fiddly and difficult to read. As I bought 2 I can confirm both are the same so it wasn't that we had one 'duff' one.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 4, 2012 6:41 AM BST

I Can Fly (Little Golden Book)
I Can Fly (Little Golden Book)
by Ruth Krauss

5.0 out of 5 stars Special Little Book, 24 Nov. 2011
I have become a fan of Mary Blair's so I was excited when I found this book for my 10 month old daughter. Beautifully illustrated book for little ones (and for nostalgic mummies!) Simply charming. Though (silly) Daddy thinks it's gorgeous too, he doesn't 'get' the ending.