Profile for Derek Hickman > Reviews

Jamie's Ministry of Food: Anyone Can Learn to Cook in 24 Hours
Jamie's Ministry of Food: Anyone Can Learn to Cook in 24 Hours
by Jamie Oliver

4.0 out of 5 stars Jamie's Ministry of Food, 29 Jan 2011
It's a good book, and does what it says on the cover. I'm not a good cook by any stretch of the imagination....and don't necessarily want to be anything special ....so this is an ideal collection of the basics. Good, interesting and varied food/recipes that we all know and love and the processes that you need to produce it are explained simply so that you won't need to go hungry....or eat boringly!

Photography Essentials: Full Frame
Photography Essentials: Full Frame
by David Noton

5.0 out of 5 stars David Noton's 'Full Frame', 29 Jan 2011
I went to one of David's photo presentations in Winchester last year and was absolutely amazed by his superb landscape photographs from all points of the globe(both home and away), and I went straight to Amazon to buy his 'Waiting for the Light' book, which accompanied the presentation. It did not disappoint, it's well presented and is a superb record of the truly wonderful photographs that David had taken. This new book, 'Full Frame' is every bit as good with the photos grouped into specific international visits of David's. Well laid out, it's Highly Recommended if you like travel/landscape photography...and will show places you might already have visited (and photographed) in a whole new light...literally. It's a brilliant collection of photos.....and enough to make you put your camera away, and give up photography....it's that good, and I clearly haven't got David's commitment or patience to get/wait-for the perfect place/light/photo.

Collage, Colour and Texture in Painting
Collage, Colour and Texture in Painting
by Mike Bernard

5.0 out of 5 stars Mike Bernard's Painting, 23 Aug 2010
I've only recently become aware of Mike Bernard's work and really like his style. I'm not sure I'm that bothered with the collage in his work but I do like the composition, colour, style and subject matter of his finished paintings. I've not seen any of his work 'face to face' so to speak, and may appreciate the collage/textural input more if I did, but so far I've only seen his work via a catalogue and now in this book.....and like what I see. The book is a great collection of his images and an excellent showpiece for his style and I recommend it to anyone. (I must admit it was the cover picture that originally caught my eye whilst browsing Amazon, as I have been struggling to do a watercolour at my art class of that exact location shot, having had a holiday at the 'Cinque Terra' in Italy last year. Mike's style perfectly catches the 'shabby chic' of this area, and this village of Riomaggiore. His other images of 'shabby' (textural!) buildings, ports , harbours and street scenes in the book are very effective and equally successful).
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 18, 2011 8:15 PM BST

Clint Eastwood 4 Film Collection [DVD]
Clint Eastwood 4 Film Collection [DVD]
Dvd ~ Clint Eastwood

5.0 out of 5 stars Clint Eastwood's Man with No Name Westerns, 30 Mar 2010
These are iconic films of their type and I don't need to say any more....they are all CLASSICS . This is a very cost-effective box set and a must-have for all Western/Cowboy fans and/or Clint wannabees.

Photography Essentials: Waiting for the Light
Photography Essentials: Waiting for the Light
by David Noton

5.0 out of 5 stars Waiting For the Light - David Noton, 30 Mar 2010
I was lucky enough to see a presentation by David Noton of his work, last month, in Winchester and his photographs are magnificent. I didn't know his name before then but his work is outstanding. I'm happy to take landscape snaps on holiday, and I like what I do, but this guy's in a different league that I could never aspire to. His commitment to getting THE location at THE best time of day/year is to be applauded....and it has certainly worked in his case. Having travelled myself I'm amazed at his shots of places I've been, and seen, and taken photos (snaps) of...he obviously loves his job and that comes through in everything he does...he's absolutely dedicated to getting the best from every location ....and he does, repeatedly...(and with refreshingly little 'post-production' too). See his show if you can , or his website...or buy his book (the paperback at Amazon is great value).

The Art Of Bix Beiderbecke
The Art Of Bix Beiderbecke

5.0 out of 5 stars Art of Bix Beiderbecke, 30 Mar 2010
I heard a Bix Beiderbecke CD playing in the background at a fashion/craft shop I was visiting with my wife and the atmosphere it created was perfect. On investigating further I realised I needed to get some of his excellent music. This album seemed an excellent 'starter/sampler' pack to showcase his talent, and doesn't disappoint. The 40 tracks here cover his life and career(he died at 28)very well and his distinctive sound comes across loud and clear.