Profile for N. Webster > Reviews

N. Webster "nbw" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
The Hunters
The Hunters

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written, taut plot, great flying descriptions., 22 April 2014
This review is from: The Hunters (Kindle Edition)
The action, the boredom, and the flying scenes are well described,
Why haven't I heard of this book before ?

Pacsafe ProSafe 800 TSA Dial Cable Lock
Pacsafe ProSafe 800 TSA Dial Cable Lock
Offered by ALL OUTDOOR LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, does the job, 16 Feb 2014
Easy to set up, easy to fasten and unfasten (- not all of them are). It's only been lightly used so far, but I'm very happy with it.

Vulcan Stove fan (Stirling engine powered)
Vulcan Stove fan (Stirling engine powered)
Offered by The Efficiency People

4.0 out of 5 stars Efficient distribution of warmth - but poor customer service, 30 Jan 2014
The fan efficiently pumps hot air around the (fairly large) room it's in, as well as out through the door and into the house.
However, it is not silent. There was an irritating rubbing noise, which my family found too intrusive, and after correspondence with the manufacturer I sent it back for rectification.
After three weeks of silence I managed to contact the manufacturer, who said it would be the next fan to be worked on - but another three weeks passed. A phone message and e-mails had no effect, and finally I managed to speak to the manufacturer again. There had been a mix-up, and another fan was sent.
This one was more noisy than its predecessor ! As well as the rubbing noise there was a loud metallic squeak. I e-mailed the manufacturer that I was returning it for a refund.
Again there was no response to the e-mail. In the mean time though the fan seemed to 'run in'. The squeak stopped. The piston pushed out what looked like graphite dust, which I cleaned away, and the rubbing noise reduced somewhat.
So I have kept the fan, and I'm very pleased with its ability to move hot air around. Purchasers need to be aware though that it may need to 'run in, and customer support is not what it should be.

Spies In The Sky: The Secret Battle for Aerial Intelligence during World War II
Spies In The Sky: The Secret Battle for Aerial Intelligence during World War II

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read, 14 Jan 2014
An interesting story, and well written. Of interest to anyone wanting to know about the world of aerial reconnaissance. Recommended.

USB Download Cable for Suunto Dive Computers
USB Download Cable for Suunto Dive Computers
Offered by Custom Idea Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars Works - but read the instructions carefully., 14 Jan 2014
The connection at the Suunto end can be a little fiddly, and will disconnect if moved, but otherwise the connection is good.
The instructions imply you need the Suunto dive computer software installed on your PC/Mac - but you only need this if you intend to use it ! I connect the computer to MacDive, and having the two programs present caused some confusion at first (although it helped prove the lead was working). Once I'd deleted the Suunto program it all worked normally.

Tenn Driven Cycling Waterproof Breathable 5K Cycle Trousers Black Med
Tenn Driven Cycling Waterproof Breathable 5K Cycle Trousers Black Med
Offered by Tenn Outdoors

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful - good value, 14 Jan 2014
These trousers have a waterproof (plasticised) front half, with the more conventional lycra rear half. In cold weather you need a layer or two underneath, or you will be cold. They are close-fitting, but not so tight as to prevent this. Zipped pockets allow warming of your hands on stops !
I've only been out in light rain in them, and remained dry and comfortable.

Wenger TSA 3-Dial Combination Cable Lock - Grey
Wenger TSA 3-Dial Combination Cable Lock - Grey
Offered by NPC (Europe) Ltd

1.0 out of 5 stars Jammed on first use, had to be cut off !, 14 Jan 2014
From the minute I set my own combination code I found that the cable would often not unlock. I attributed this to its newness; after deselecting and reselecting my code several times it would eventually release.
The first (and only) time I used it for checked-in baggage however, it jammed when I tried to undo it. I deselected and reselected the code many, many times without success, and in the end had to cut the lock off.
There is no chance I could have forgotten my code - it's the one I always use on suitcases - and it was used on a European flight, so it's highly improbable some wag in Baggage Handling opened it with a TSA key and altered the combination in some way.
It seemed flimsy when I bought it, and sadly experience has borne this out.

Apple Tree Yard
Apple Tree Yard

4.0 out of 5 stars Gripping right to the end, 12 Oct 2013
This review is from: Apple Tree Yard (Kindle Edition)
When I first started the book I thought I'd made a mistake - it seemed like it was going to be one for girls only.
I still don't buy the central relationship between Yvonne and X - maybe I've led too sheltered a life. That aside, the story is well written and well told. I enjoyed it to the end, particularly the twists and turns of the final third of the book.

Master Lock Quantum Spiral Cable Lock With Universal Mount - 180 x 1.0 cm, Black

2.0 out of 5 stars Mystery mount !, 16 Sep 2013
I bought this because of the easy-fitting mount, which would allow me to keep the lock behind and below the saddle. It came without instructions, and I could not work out how to open the mount to fit the lock inside. Experimentation would probably have scratched the lock, so I would have been unable to return it, and anyway it seemed unlikely I would be able to use it when out on the bike without tools which I wouldn't be carrying. I tried squeezing, pushing, pulling, all to no avail. Eventually I sent it back - but rather than a refund I received a credit note, which has thus far also proved difficult to use.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but nothing really special, 5 Aug 2013
The sound quality seems to me adequate but not outstanding. The foam pads that fit on the earpieces are fiddly to install and come off easily - they look like they will eventually tear.
The carry case is simply a draw-string bag, and the wires easily knot up as a result.
Having said all that they do the job; but I was expecting something of more obvious quality from B&O.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4