Profile for Mr. A. J. Crook > Reviews

Content by Mr. A. J. Crook

Mr. A. J. Crook (London)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Nightmare
Nightmare
Price: 5.56

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly special album, 6 Oct 2012
This review is from: Nightmare (Audio CD)
Wow. There have been very few albums of recent times that I can say that I have been truly engaged by. Personally, I am someone who has grown up listening to the various genres of metal and rock, and enjoy recreating a lot of my favourite tracks on guitar. I also have a quite vast, and varied collection of music, but generally, I need some form of guitar involved for it to catch my attention.

I knew a little of Avenged Sevenfold previously, having listened to City of Evil a fair amount, although would never have put them in my top bands from this record. But wow, what a mammoth jump this album is from that in comparison (I know there have been albums in between). A great opening track (although the most radio friendly perhaps), and an epic track to finish, with consistent high quality throughout without feeling samey.

There is a lot of variation here, and excellent musicianship from everyone in the band, as well as the more obviously superb guitar work and vocals. 'Buried Alive' is a great example of a tight, and well controlled song, essentially in two parts. A cleaner, thoughtful beginning, before unleashing a satisfying crunchy, heavy finish.

It's not all about speed and heaviness, but more meaningful, well written music. Yes it is often very riff driven music, but 'So Far Away' and 'Tonight the World Dies' are awesome examples how melodic the band is on this album, and truly showcases the singers vocal talent. Personally am not someone who is seduced by vocals, I prefer guitar driven most of the time, but was certainly compelled with the vocals on these songs in particular.

What better way to close out the album with 'Save Me' - an almost 11 min feast of intelligent, complex music that pulls the album together perfectly. I cannot speak more highly of this album, which makes a refreshing change to the majority of the music that is kicking around these days.

South Of The Border, West Of The Sun
South Of The Border, West Of The Sun
by Haruki Murakami
Price: 5.03

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite books, 6 Oct 2012
This is just fantastic. Murakami is an amazing writer, able to capture in written form, aspects of life that we often take for granted. He is a very observant person that is for sure, and a strong talent, able to convey those observations in a captivating way for a reader.

Having now read most of his books, this has to be my favourite of his. I won't repeat what a number of other reviewers have done by describing what the story is about, but if you're someone who has experienced a close relationship with someone, and had difficult decisions to make in life, this will especially strike a chord with you. I found myself emotionally drawn in to the story, and when finished, was left wanting more.

Enthralling from start to finish. A short but very sweet story. A great introduction to Murakami if you have not read any of his novels as yet.

The Art of Miyazaki's Spirited Away (Studio Ghibli Library)
The Art of Miyazaki's Spirited Away (Studio Ghibli Library)
by Hayao Miyazaki
Price: 13.60

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute pleasure, 6 Oct 2012
If you're even reading this, then I will assume you are already a fan of what is an amazingly quirky, but beautiful animated film from Studio Ghibli.

With the quality of the film's animation, you know what to expect here. This is a beautiful hard back book showcasing the wonderful designs and sketches from the film. I take great pride in presenting this in my living room, and from time to time, have a good browse to remind myself of the genius of Miyazaki.

If you are indeed a fan of the film, you won't be disappointed with this.

Unleashed: The Story of "Tool": The Story of "Tool": The Story of "Tool"
Unleashed: The Story of "Tool": The Story of "Tool": The Story of "Tool"
by Joel McIver
Price: 14.56

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but not as informative as it could have been, 6 Oct 2012
I am a big fan of Tool's music, but I have to admit that I have not gone out of my way to read in to their music. I like to make my own impression of the meaning of a song, as it's true, that people take different things from a song dependent on their emotional state and musical understanding.

Therefore, for me, as some not overly well read on all things tool, this covers some decent aspects of their beginnings, and the development to where they are today, albeit, not in huge granular detail. I think there is a good broad scope of information here, but am improved level of detail at many stages would have made this an altogether more complete read. I agree with another reviewer that it is clear that the author has not had much access to the band, if at all.

If you know a lot about the band, there is probably not much new material here for you, but if you have little background, this is a fairly decent read.

"Iron Maiden" - Somewhere Back in Time: The Best of 1980-1989 (Tab)
"Iron Maiden" - Somewhere Back in Time: The Best of 1980-1989 (Tab)
by Muse
Edition: Sheet music
Price: 16.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Half decent guitar tab, 6 Oct 2012
I am a huge Iron Maiden, and a fairly advanced guitar player, albeit a little lazy that I like to buy tab books from time to time.

I would echo the thoughts of another reviewer, that this book is good for those who want to just learn the standard rhythm parts of some classic songs, but a lot of the additional fills and solos are completely missing here. This is a completely missed opportunity, as there will be a lot of people out there keen to play more of these great solos.

So, if you're keen to just learn the rhythm to some great songs, then this will work well for you, but if you want more than that, you'll find yourself disappointed with this tab book.

Omen
Omen
Price: 9.60

4.0 out of 5 stars Great impactful, atmospheric album, 6 Oct 2012
This review is from: Omen (Audio CD)
I will put my hands up and say that I did not entirely get in to this album first time round, but after a few listens, I have to say that this is still a great album, with a very different feel to past albums.

There are especially some stand out songs, Lethal Injection, followed up with Kingdom, are among my favourite Soulfly tracks. I have gone as far as learning to play Kingdom on guitar, just love that whole song.

As you can expect from Max and co, there is some great guitar work, perhaps in a more understated way to prior albums, perhaps down to the approach and production of the album, but I think when you take all the tracks as a whole, I like the atmospheric feel of the album.

I personally recommend this album, and think some of the comments raised here are a little harsh, and don't appreciate what the album has to offer. Put in the time, and you'll be rewarded with a high quality, enjoyable experience.

TRIXES Blue Amazon Kindle Holiday Waterproof Case Cover Protective Bag Pouch for Amazon Kindle - Kindle Keyboard - Kindle Touch - Kindle Fire
Offered by Digiflex
Price: 19.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent protective case, 6 Oct 2012
I have just returned from a 2 week holiday in sunny Egypt, and must say that the case certainly got a lot of use. Didn't focus too much on the fact that the case is waterproof, but wanted more protection from the sun and sand - this it did well. Yes, it definitely got hot from the direct sun, but i think it took a little of the pressure off the actual kindle device. Successfully protected against the pesky sand :)

What you of course lose is the clarity of the kindle screen, adding glare to a devise that is generally completely free from it. So my eyes felt a little more strained from reading it. The quality is fairly good, although I'm not sure how long it would last in an extended period of time in somewhere like Egypt, but hey, depends on your planned usage.

All in all, 'does what it says on the tin'.

Scent of a Killer
Scent of a Killer
by Kevin Lewis
Price: 6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A MORE THAN DECENT SERIAL KILLER NOVEL., 26 Oct 2010
This review is from: Scent of a Killer (Paperback)
I picked this up whilst on holiday at random, and read it in less than 3 days. It is nicely written with some character studies (not that deep though), set in London which is refreshing.
Gruesome murders, with cops and autopsies and the usual procedures. Enough twists here and there to make it very entertaining all the way.

I am used to much better written horror or thrillers being a huge King's & Koontz' fan and their imagination and narrative style are far superior and memorable, so this novel is not as satisfying for me.
Crime writer Karin Slaughter also is better rated in this genre in my opinion (with exceptions of 2 of her extensive series), having read all her books recently from her first to the recent last.
Worth picking up if you like investigations by all means but not a memorable masterpiece of the genre..

Lightning
Lightning
by Dean Koontz
Edition: MP3 CD
Price: 16.39

5.0 out of 5 stars what we all love about Koontz, it is all here!, 20 Oct 2010
This review is from: Lightning (MP3 CD)
What can I say.
The raving reviews here are right and I am so pleased to have bought it.
I 've read Koontz's books since I was a teenager, he can scare me, amaze me and touch me or make you laugh in the most effortless prose. This range of talent is showcased in this very book.
Having recently read The Watchers I can see some elements here, the sci fi aspect and a certain kind of "futuristic progress on a mankind scale", also I can see the kindness & humour in the characters also found in the magnificent Odd Thomas.
There are 2 love stories here that are extremely touching and will make you cry if you are a soft touch like me.

I have read this book within 2 days despite the thick 500 pages, whilst on holiday. This is one I will probably re-read in a few years, like I did with Odd Thomas and Phantoms.
Koontz has an amazing talent and I will never ever get bored of finding out more through every book I get through. There are so many and I am more than half way there!
FLORENCE, 31.

The Bad Place
The Bad Place
by Dean Koontz

5.0 out of 5 stars a classic Koontz., 13 July 2010
This review is from: The Bad Place (Paperback)
Having read quite a few oldies recently from Koontz I can confirm this one is amongst the great ones yet again. Lots of great characters, all as uncanny as each other, with Pure Evil lurking in one of them. There is also a character called Thomas with special gift, not the Odd Thomas but one that came years before and just as endearing.
Koontz's way of getting your enthralled into the story is very much present in this book and I highly recommend it. Satisfactory ending to boost.
Florence, 31.
Next read: Karin Slaughter's Broken.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4