ARRAY(0xb0e486a8)

Profile for dickyrubbish > Reviews

Content by dickyrubbish

"dickyrubbish"

Game Physics (The Morgan Kaufmann Series in Interactive 3D Technology)
Game Physics (The Morgan Kaufmann Series in Interactive 3D Technology)
by David H. Eberly
Price: 55.39

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but a lot of chaff, 30 Sep 2004
I've just finished a maths and computer science course, and have been programming in C, C++ and Java for the last 5-10 years. I wanted to learn about collision detection and response, so I bought this book.
Firstly, I was certainly not disappointed. This book covers these topics very well, and giving enough detail for you to go away and start implementing. It opens up plenty of avenues for thought as well.
However, there are a few criticisms. Even with a maths degree (I didn't do much mechanics, though) I found the maths pretty hard going. To make matters worse, there is a lot of physics information that's pretty much irrelevant, or could have been covered much more concisely. Also, there are quite a few mistakes (usually just typos) in explanations and formulas. If you're paying attention, you'll spot them, and there is an errata list on the website.
The book contains a token chapter on optics (i.e. physically realistic graphics effects) but the explanations are weak and rushed, covering only the bare minimum, and leaving you to investigate the source on the CD.
However, I don't want to give the impression that this is a bad book. Overall, I'm proud to own it, and truly cherish it's advice. Once you've worked your way through the unnecessary preliminaries, it's an enthralling and inspiring read, and contains enough detail for you to go away and code. I would highly recommend this book to anyone with a strong mathematical background who is interested in physics modelling in games.