Profile for B. Sugden > Reviews

Content by B. Sugden

B. Sugden "armaitus" (Huddersfield, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Grim, The Gnoll
Grim, The Gnoll

5.0 out of 5 stars Gnoll LOLs For The Win!, 9 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Grim, The Gnoll (Kindle Edition)
I uncovered this hidden gem whilst researching for a character role I am going to play at LARP.

Overlooking the small number of typos in the kindle edition, "Grim, The Gnoll" took me back to the old, original, Dragonlance books.

More than that, Grim's tale took me back to the tabletop role playing days of my youth - before adulthood brought 21st century ethics, cynicism and one-upmanship into the hobby.

This promises to be a good series, I hope Ted W. Wooley plans to write more!

Elite: Lave Revolution (Elite: Dangerous)
Elite: Lave Revolution (Elite: Dangerous)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Blast from the Past, 20 Jun. 2014
Like many gamers from my generation, I remember spending hours in front of my Father's BBC Micro, racking up credits and saving up for a Docking Computer or a better set of lasers on my Cobra Mk III in the vector space trading game Elite.

A lifetime later and Allen Stroud takes us back to those halcyon days with this cracking piece of science fiction.

Set in the systems neighbouring Lave, Lave: Revolution tells of the cosmo-political transition that Lave takes. From the Lave of my childhood to the Lave of the forthcoming (and long awaited) reboot of the Elite game. Elite - Dangerous.

Far form being "just another game tie-in", Lave: Revolution is as gripping as it is cunning. The tale follows a number of characters through a maze of galactic conspiracy, deception and ultimately - planetary revolution.

The story is decorated with historical transcripts and technical factoids that add to the world in which Allen is weaving the tale but this only serves to add icing to what is already a well garnished tale.

After reading this in one sitting I am left thirsty for more - I'll have to make do with the Elite - Dangerous beta and wait for Allen to write more.

Diablo III (Xbox 360)
Diablo III (Xbox 360)

5.0 out of 5 stars An welcome port of an addictive game, 3 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Diablo III (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
As an early adopter of Diablo 3 for the PC I was excited to see the game port to console, where most of my online gaming takes place.

The port is seamless, offering the same robust platform for dungeon crawling and looting as the PC version.

In fact the console version seems to benefit from the loss of the Diablo 3 Auction House, with more frequent loot drops, which sets it above the PC version in my opinion.

Mosquito (Deluxe) [+digital booklet]
Mosquito (Deluxe) [+digital booklet]

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes yes yes!, 3 Oct. 2013
Superb! Emotive, vibrant and melodic from the first track.

I honestly haven't been struck by an album in this way since first hearing PJ Harvey's Stories from the City, "Stories from the Sea".

An positive evolution from their earlier releases.

YOOUSB OWL Drive
YOOUSB OWL Drive
Offered by MK Malls

3.0 out of 5 stars Pulls Apart, 31 July 2013
As USB pens go this is OK.

I like the novelty but when I first removed the cap I actually removed the whole drive unit from both cap and body.

Nothing a spot of glue won't fix but be careful when pulling the drive out of Batman's body.

Sunda HTC ONE (M7) Sync Dock Desktop Charger Docking Station Cradle Stand+2X cables+UK Charger+Car Charger

4.0 out of 5 stars Functional but Gaudy, 31 July 2013
I don't usually go for docking stations but felt I needed one for my new HTC One. The micro USB cable I use at work mustn't be USB 2.0, as I received a warning about slow charging when I connected it for the first time.

So I shopped around a bit and decided to go for this little gem.

In the box was 2 x Micro USB cables, 1 x USB Wall Socket, 1 x USB Car Socket and 1 x Docking Cradle. This gives me the added benefit of a handy extra Car/Home charger.

I don't use a bulky cover or case except when I am out exercising so the device slots snuggly in every time.

The only downside is the gaudy blue and red "VICTSING" logo on the case, but I am sure I can deal with that in time.

KLF: Chaos Magic Music Money
KLF: Chaos Magic Music Money

5.0 out of 5 stars Whoops! Eschaton!, 15 Feb. 2013
Covering far more than Pop History, this Telling is cunningly crafted to weave together themes of occult philosophy, synchronicity, art vandalism and transcendence (Trance'n'Dance) into an awe inspiring proposition.

This book will appeal to fans of the KLF, Robert Anton Wilson, Alan Moore as well as those interested in contemporary magical thinking and economics... oh and there's a lot for art/music historians in there too.

Highly recommended, I wish I had physical copies to hand out on street corners whilst wearing a hood and a horn.

Don't let them Immanentise the Eschaton... too late.

Samsung 32GB Class 10 MicroSDHC Ultra High Speed Memory Card 75MB/s Read 20MB/s Write with Komputerbay SD Adapter

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice product for a nice price, 4 Feb. 2013
I purchased this card for use in a Microsoft Surface RT.

I've been burned a couple of times in the past when buying SD or Micro SD cards for similar devices but this one has restored my faith in them.

Ideal for easy transfer of data from my PC to my tablet, without using email or SkyDrive.

The adapter has proven handy as well, considering most of my Micro SD cards have come with Network provided smartphones - without an adapter.

Black Bow Tie - Ready Tied Black Bow Tie Includes With Love Gift Tag
Black Bow Tie - Ready Tied Black Bow Tie Includes With Love Gift Tag

1.0 out of 5 stars This Tie Falls Short of the Mark, 16 Oct. 2012
I recently purchased this tie for a black-tie function as my existing 18" bow tie does not fit my 19" neck.

The tie advertises that it fits neck size 12" - 20". This is not the case, I could get it round my neck, just but there was no way I could get it round the collar of my 19" dress shirt.

On comparison with my existing 18" tie, the strap length was identical!

No doubt this is a great tie for people with standard neck sizes but it is not one for those of us over 18".

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovecraft in a Bottle, 3 Jun. 2011
Aside from the wonderful artwork and design of the bottle, the Kraken is subtly creamy with a powerful flavour and a spicy aroma.

Definitely a rum that works well alone; I have waited for this Rum to be released in the UK for a while and I was not disappointed!

I haven't tried mixing the rum yet but I honestly think it requires no addition to enjoy the flavour.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 2, 2011 9:15 PM GMT