Profile for tiggrie AKA Sarah > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Judas Scar
The Judas Scar

2.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat disappointing., 15 Jan. 2015
This review is from: The Judas Scar (Kindle Edition)
Maybe this one of those times when it would have been better if I'd bought this book without really knowing anything about it. From the reviews, I was expecting something quite special, and I found it rather disappointing.

It's not a particularly poorly written book, it didn't make me want to beat my head against the nearest wall or anything, but the superlatives heaped on it didn't ring true for me. It seemed to start as one thing and change immediately to another, and the characters were insipid people I felt no great desire to spend lots of time with.

I like a good plot, but as a reader I'm most interested in the characters, and the ones in this book just didn't grab hold of me in the slightest. As such, the plot would've had to have grabbed hold of me from page one. As it was, the prologue was intriguing, if rather dark, but then it turned rather plodding and domestic. The prologue wasn't nearly interesting enough to make up for that.

On the whole, I've read worse, but from the glowing reviews I expected an awful lot better.

Party Animal
Party Animal

2.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat disappointing and formatting extremely poor., 6 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Party Animal (Kindle Edition)
This was rather disappointing. The stories I read were not inspiring or particularly funny or cute... as collections go, there was little to hold on to.

Moreover, the Kindle edition is very poorly formatted. Despite it being a bunch of short pieces, inviting the reader to dip in and out, there's no active table of contents.

If there were page numbers that wouldn't be a huge problem, because page numbers are given for each story, but there aren't. If you see an author whose piece you wish to read, you have to either page through till you find it, do a search (which on my aging Kindle takes forever), or make a guess at what location to jump to and hope you hit somewhere near and don't have to page forwards or backwards too much to find it.

The formatting within the stories stinks, too. Some paragraphs are indented, some are not, and when the ones lacking an indent follow each other in quick succession, the dreaded block of text effect is most unpleasant. It also makes following dialogue and similar more difficult.

I also noticed the start of a sentence (the start of a paragraph no less) lacking a capital letter - I gave up without reading the whole book but if something so basic can be missed in proofreading, I don't hold out much hope for other grammatical errors.

Last but by no means least, there are no divisions between different sections of the book - not even a carriage return:

end of previous story
blurb about new author
STORY TITLE
start of new author.

It's messy, ugly, and contributes to the overall feel that whoever put this together couldn't be arsed. Even from the POV of proceeds from this book going to charity, I feel like a little more effort could be put in to actually produce a professionally put together book. This comes off more like a self pubbed effort that didn't have the benefit of even a semi competent proofreader, never mind an actual publishing house. I hope they donated their efforts for free, because this was a disservice to the charities.

If the stories started and continued in an inspiring, funny, or poignant vein maybe I would have overlooked the rest, but my reaction to the ones I read was 'meh' and I felt no interest in continuing to plough through the poor formatting to see if there were a few gems hidden among the blah. Overall, disappointing.

Анна Каренина: Роман в восьми частях (Russian Edition)
Анна Каренина: Роман в восьми частях (Russian Edition)

2.0 out of 5 stars Great novel, but no TOC in this edition., 1 Dec. 2014
Great novel, of course, but this edition has no table of contents as far as I can find out, and with such a doorstop of a novel, that it a big minus.

Johnson Chad Ukulele Aerobics For All Levels Uke Bk/Cd
Johnson Chad Ukulele Aerobics For All Levels Uke Bk/Cd
by Various

5.0 out of 5 stars For the serious learner, an excellent resource., 1 Dec. 2014
First things first - this is a book for the serious learner. Each Monday you'll get a bunch of chords to learn - every week - and new techniques and licks and strumming patterns. It's organised over 40 weeks but I don't see myself getting through it that fast, even though I play a bunch of other instruments, read music, etc. There's also an inbuilt assumption that you can read regular notation and/or tab before you start: you won't be handheld through the basics like that.

That said, I think this is a really well put together book. Even if you choose to supplement it with other music (which I am doing), for guidance through a core of ukulele technique and chords, progressing logically and building on previous lessons, I think this is excellent.

The progression is steep - I personally know I'm not going to finish each week's exercises to a good standard in just one week - but it is logical and helpful. If you want a good structure as you start out on the uke, this is a realy excellent place to start to give you a good framework and excellent grounding. You won't learn lots of tunes, but you will learn a lot to enable you to play the kind of tunes you want to play.

If you just want to dabble, or you want to be spoonfed, it might seem overwhelming, but if you want to get a good grounding on the instrument, I think this is truly an excellent resource.

The Child In Time
The Child In Time
by Ian McEwan

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite books., 9 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Child In Time (Paperback)
I first read this in A Level English some two decades ago. It was one of those unusual books which I came to love and enjoy more through reading, rereading, studying, taking apart and writing essays over: there are precious few books I could spend two years studying in depth and come out still able and willing to read it for pleasure. There's some truly beautiful, almost elegiac prose in here that still moves me. I think it's a fairly unpopular opinion, but I much prefer it to the lauded Atonement.

That said, I'm sure it's not for everyone. There are elements of what I'm tempted to call magical realism, the book is set in a London which is slightly off kilter, there are strange time jumps and interconnected stories and... well, it's not a book I'd recommend for a mindless read on a long plane flight, or to anyone who didn't have the patience for a more meandering and demanding read. There is also the simple fact that the main thread through the story is the abduction of a three year old child and the havoc that wreaks on the lives of her parents, which I know makes it a "can't read, won't read" for some. It's also not a thriller or a page turner.

What it is, is an interesting, thoughtful, thought provoking book that held me captive as a seventeen year old and can still do so nearly twenty years later. It's not for everyone, and I definitely feel it's one of those books where the "look inside"/sample functions reeeeeally come into their own, but it is IMO definitely worth the time to download that sample.

Tatting Needle & Picot Gauge-/ Sold as a pack of 3
Tatting Needle & Picot Gauge-/ Sold as a pack of 3

4.0 out of 5 stars Could be a little sturdier, but otherwise excellent., 26 July 2014
This listing is a little misleading, as it isn't sold as a pack of three - just one gauge. However, the seller did refund me.

On to the good:

This is a useful and sturdy item, and easy to use.

It appears to be made of thick plastic or possibly card stock with a plasticised layer. Either way, personally I wouldn't leave it loose (I keep it attached by means of an elastic band to the back of my needle keeper), but in normal use I can't see it being easy to damage.

The measurements are in inches, but the back of the gauge is a pale gold colour, so I think if you desperately needed touch mm equivalents it would be easy enough to add them with a permanent marker. Personally I don't worry about exact measurements, just about keeping the picots consistent, so that hasn't been an issue.

I can't speak for its use as a needle gauge as I only do shuttle tatting.

It's been in regular use since it arrived, and I've had no problems with it at all. The colour has stayed on, the measurements are clear - I'd love to have one in a slightly sturdier material for my own peace of mind (I worry I'll manage to sit in it and bend it!) but besides that, it does exactly what it says and it's been a huge improvement over my homemade version (cut from a defunct credit card)!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Love them., 26 July 2014
These are simple plastic shuttles with a neat pick on the end, and they work beautifully. They seem pretty sturdy - I haven't gone out of my way to test that, but I can't imagine they would break from tatting, for example! The thread is held securely but the points aren't so tight that thread is hard to wind or unwind. And they have a nice satisfying click to them... which isn't necessary but IMO does add to the pleasure of shuttle tatting!

The pick is long and really quite sharp considering it is made of plastic - be wary for your fingers. It's just plastic, but it can hurt. I haven't drawn blood... yet... but suspect it's just a matter of time. It's a longer and pointier pick than on my otherwise very similar Bates shuttle. Potentially painful, but also makes it that much easier to work into a stitch to undo it, or to draw thread through a picot to form a join.

The colours are bright but not shockingly so - they make me think of Starburst aka Opal Fruit colours. They're really rather pretty, IMO more so than in the picture.

Overall, very happy with them. I was fortunate to get them at a bargain price, but even at the regular price I think this pack of five is good value.

5Pc Tatting Shuttle - Small-
5Pc Tatting Shuttle - Small-

5.0 out of 5 stars Love them., 26 July 2014

I also like the range of pastel colours which make a nice change from the also attractive brights set.

Lizbeth Twirlz Cordonnet Cotton Size 20-Purple Berry
Lizbeth Twirlz Cordonnet Cotton Size 20-Purple Berry

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely cotton, a pleasure to tat., 26 July 2014
I should say first off that I bought this thread at a dedicated tatting retailer, I did not pay nearly thirty quid for it, which is a rip off!

That said: I love Lizbeth thread, it tats beautifully, and the Twirlz colours are really fun. Each has three different colours running the length of the thread, like a barber shop pole, and the overall effect is really interesting. It's almost sparkly, and it's very attractive.

Just like regular Lizbeth thread, it is easy to tat with, smooth and shiny, with lovely stitch definition.

Energenie 2.1A Dual USB Mains Charger with AC Pass Thru
Energenie 2.1A Dual USB Mains Charger with AC Pass Thru

5.0 out of 5 stars Works just fine., 26 July 2014
I got this on a daily deal. It seems to work just fine - I've had no problems with anything I've plugged into it, and it doesn't appear to have an issue with powering more than one item at a time. As I'm used to adapters which plug one USB cord into one wall socket, it's been just brilliant not only to charge two at once, but also to keep the socket itself in play.

Excellent idea, executed well, very handy and I'm very pleased.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20