Profile for jane sloan > Reviews

Content by jane sloan

jane sloan

Peugeot Tahiti Noir Mat Pepper Mill, 15cm
Peugeot Tahiti Noir Mat Pepper Mill, 15cm
Offered by About-Tea & About-Coffee Shop, Preise inkl. MwSt.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent pepper mill., 1 Jan. 2015
Very good pepper mill. Perfect for the table (I use a larger one for cooking) Quite elegant, nice size, good to handle but most of all the mechanism is good and though I have not had it for more than a few months I feel it will last and continue to grind well. Found it difficult to find such a good mill in the shops

Bosch TDA7060GB Steam Iron with i-Temp, 2800 W - Blue/White
Bosch TDA7060GB Steam Iron with i-Temp, 2800 W - Blue/White

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly disappointing, 28 Feb. 2014
This is, or should be, a very good iron. However my handle is not very comfortable as the seam where the two plastic bodies meet are not aligned correctly and so it is rather sharp. Also, you cannot see the level of water as the dark blue plastic obscures your view. I don't mind the weight at all as I recognise that a heavier iron irons better.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent bath oil, 28 Feb. 2014
This is marvellous bath oil. The bottle does not look hugely exciting but the oil is really wonderful. It has a very fresh, very slightly antiseptic woody herbal smell , quite definite and quite strong, and after using for a week I have found the texture of my skin has improved - it obviously softens and nourishes it but not in an umpleasant greasy way. It is expensive, but you only need to use a small amount as it is quite concentrated.

Eat: The Little Book of Fast Food (Cloth-covered, flexible binding)
Eat: The Little Book of Fast Food (Cloth-covered, flexible binding)
by Nigel Slater

3.0 out of 5 stars Rather disappointed, 12 Oct. 2013
I am a very great fan of Nigel Slater. He writes very well, I like the food he cooks, his books are well set out and they are often beautifully printed. So I waited for this new one eagerly. I have to say that I have not cooked with it much but this is partly because I am not tempted to:
1. The book itself. I see other people praising it for its size and flexible spine. I like a cookery book that I can pysically use and you cannot open the book at a certain page without weighting it down. 2) I think the chapters are silly - divided as they are by, say 'frying pan' 'oven' 'hand' etc. Who says to themselves 'I think tonight I am going to cook something in a frying pan?'#In his previous books, say the Kitchen Diaries, or the Vegable volume, there was much more rationale#. Then ingreadients! You have to trawl through the whole recipe, medthod to boot, to make a shopping list and that is not a fast method. At the end of the recipe there are 'tweak' comments but even they are inconsistent - one may randomly list the ingredients and another my suggest something else. I think I am going to put the book in the glove compartment of my car - I hope it is not too fat - because I can see that it might be useful if I had to make a last minute dash to a super market and had little time to cook. Little Book of Fast Food it is called; could it be a pot boiler?

Good Things To Eat
Good Things To Eat
by Lucas Hollweg

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent first book, 7 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Good Things To Eat (Hardcover)
Read about Lucas Hollweg in the Waitrose Kitchen Mag. Liked what I read, tried all the recipes and very much enjoyed them, ordered the book from Amazon and am most impressed. It is beautifully produced, clear, good photographs but above all I find it is just my sort of food - not cheffy, acknowledges the good cookery writers of the past - there is so much that I am going to use and I can tell it is a book I will keep. Seasonal ingredients well used, nothing complicated, nothing pretentious but a new voice. Feels like a protege of Nigel Slater (who I admire too) And I would like to meet him...

The Towers of Trebizond (Flamingo)
The Towers of Trebizond (Flamingo)
by Rose Macaulay

5.0 out of 5 stars Towers of Trebizond, 14 Nov. 2010
Wonderful novel - very engaging and very funny although
curiously enough it takes people by surprise, perhaps because of the deliberate ambivilence of the sex of the narrator. My husband thinks it is one of the first 'gay' novels, and I think nothing of the sort but that one of the themes is the pain of adultery. It is entertaining taken as a travel book but works on many levels and it is still curously topical.