Profile for Straight Flush > Reviews

Content by Straight Flush

Straight Flush "Straight Flush" (England)

Football Manager 2013 (PC DVD)
Football Manager 2013 (PC DVD)

1.0 out of 5 stars Getting worse each year, 3 Jun 2013
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
I've bought FM/CM games for well over a decade and have been a huge fan over the years. However, i stopped buying them about 2 years ago out of frustration with the way the game had gone. Unfortunately the wife bought me this one for xmas. I tried playing it a few times but gave up again.

Aside from all the bugs etc, i discovered these games are just no good now. I did an experiment a few times (probably at least a dozen), to see how much team selection/team talks, subs, tactics etc. effect results. My conclusion is that the results are determined prior to even going into the pregame screens.

I saved my game before a match, then if a shock result happened, i.e. my top of the table team was beaten at home by the bottom of the table team or something similar that would count as a 'shock' result, i'd run it again multiple times to see what different formations etc would do to the result. Each time, i tried changing nothing, changing the team, changing the tactics (icl. different formations attacking style, defending style etc.), different team talks, everything, and the same 'shock' result happened 6 or 7 times in a row of replaying the match. This suggests strongly a pre determined outcome. So the point is, what's the point in playing a game when your actions make no difference becasue the outcome has already been decided? What's the point in taking time over formations/tactics/squad etc? There is no point is my only conclusion. Thats' why i won't be buying these games ever again, and I'll make sure the Mrs knows.

Samsung Galaxy Y on O2 Pay As You Go with £10 airtime credit
Samsung Galaxy Y on O2 Pay As You Go with £10 airtime credit
Offered by uk-dealz

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst phone I have ever owned., 12 Dec 2012
This is the worst phone i have ever had the misfortune to own. Rarely have reception with this phone, yet my old ones were fine pretty much everywhere. Dial a phone number, phone rearely even gets to ringing tone, let alone get thruogh to a number. Adding new contact to a half written text, or forwarding a text = forget it. Not worth the plastic it's made out of. Pathetic.

York C202 Cycle
York C202 Cycle

1.0 out of 5 stars Broke down, 23 Nov 2011
This review is from: York C202 Cycle (Sports)
Had the bike for 15 months (so not long out of warranty) and then it came up with an error on the screen (E-2), stuck on the loosest setting for peddling and wouldn't change. Contacted company, they said it'd cost £96 to send out engineer, and if he didn't have the required part with him, would have to pay another £96 for him to come back with the part on another visit. I explained this cost more than the bike itself and i might as well buy a new one, so they offered me a bit of discount on a new one from them. If their equipment only lasts 15 months i don't want to buy another one from them. Plus pulse monitor only worked for the first few times i used it.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 6, 2012 8:48 AM GMT

Fallout 3 (Xbox 360)
Fallout 3 (Xbox 360)

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite simply the best game ever., 2 Jun 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Fallout 3 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Title says it all really. This game has everything, great combat, excellent story line, inventive quests, and perfect free roaming and exploring experience. All this and you can play the game so many different ways, either relying on brute force and being a bruiser, relying on skill and brain power, being a good person, being a 'baddie', the choices are nearly unlimited. Finished it the first time and went back and started the whole game again immediately - first time i have ever done that.

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood (Xbox 360)
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood (Xbox 360)
Offered by findprice

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality, 2 Jun 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
After playing and enjoying AC2, was really looking forward to this new release. Was not disappointed at all, pretty much everything has been improved where necessary. Enjoyed it so much was still looking for reasons to load up the game and go roaming after I'd completed every single quest/side quest.

Fable III (Xbox 360)
Fable III (Xbox 360)
Offered by eoutlet-uk

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 2 Jun 2011
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Fable III (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
After Fable 2, was really looking forward to Fable 3......... what a disappointment. They've changed all the good things from F2 and kept all the poor things from it. Poor story line, poor interactions, worse combat than F2, worse map than F2, worse level up method....... there is just nothing that is even on a par with Fable 2, nevermind better.

Essays (Penguin Modern Classics)
Essays (Penguin Modern Classics)
by George Orwell

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius, 6 Jan 2011
I read several of George Orwell's novels and absolutely loved them. 1984 was the first book I ever read (I hated reading through-out school life) and it had a massive impact on me.
I read his Essays a couple of years ago and he went from being my favourite author to an all time hero of mine. I won't bang on about his style and skill with words, others have already covered that and I am no expert in English language/literature. What I would say is that in these essays, his love for England and the English 'proles' shines through. Also, he warns of the flaws in the so called democratic and capitalist systems in place in this country, and the tools and language used by the people in power to deceive, deflect, misguide and divert attention from things they do not want 'ordinary' folk to know, find out or be conscious of. All of this is still relevant today, and his essays communicate in such an elegant, yet simple way, the frustrations I have with the systems and the people in power who run our country and our capitalist entities.

Having said that, I wouldn't say he was an out and out socialist, I feel he manages to balance the good of both systems within his views.