Profile for Peter Stephenson > Reviews

Content by Peter Stephenson

Peter Stephenson "PeterSt1954" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
The Gathering
The Gathering
Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars Plenty of Bodices But Definitely Not Just A Bodice Ripper, 28 April 2015
This isn't my kind of story so I don't really know why I started watching it - but I'm glad I did. It isn't a mindless bodice-ripper with a ridiculous plot but a very good story punctuated - but by no means ruined - by adult and convincing sexual sexual tension. Its optimistic but not naive. Plenty of conflicted and convincing characters and sub-stories. Its fairly dark (visually and in plot) but beams of light do shine through. Just settle down and let it unfold.

LEGO Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Out [DVD]
LEGO Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Out [DVD]
Dvd ~ Guy Vasilovich

5.0 out of 5 stars Short But Fully Packed With Fun, 1 Mar. 2015
This is a very short film but it is packed full of in-jokes and one-liners that make it something you can watch several times (I watched it four times in a row and I don't usually watch films more than once). I think they decided that weren't going to waste any frames on anything that was less that really quite funny. Surprisingly memorable for just twenty minutes long. At £3 I didn't feel cheated.

Igenix IG7458 Cordless Jug Kettle 2,200 W - 1 L, White
Igenix IG7458 Cordless Jug Kettle 2,200 W - 1 L, White

1.0 out of 5 stars Potentially Good Kettle with a Dangerous Fault, 16 Feb. 2015
From fairly early on steam started coming through the handle. I had to bind it with tape. If they could get rid of this defect it would rate five stars - but with it it shouldn't really be on the market. It is unsafe.

Salter 145 Mechanical Bathroom Scale
Salter 145 Mechanical Bathroom Scale

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost the Real McCoy, 11 Feb. 2015
Just received this so I can't give a long-term review but initial impressions are as follows. It appears well made and solid. The dial is large and clear (the whole thing is reassuringly large - somewhat larger than normal bathroom scales). The mechanism appears consistent - it shows almost exactly the same weight every time I step onto it. The weight it shows is consistent with my last accurate (medical) weighing so is presumably accurate. It works perfectly well on the normal thickness carpet in my room (although that might not be case if it was left in the same position for a long time and the little legs had had time sink into the carpet).

You get a lot of cheap knock-offs that look like this but are rubbish (I speak from unhappy experience). This appears to be the real deal. It probably isn't real medical quality (you would have to pay a lot more for that sort of a equipment) but its a serious piece of weighing kit. When I have another £140 to spend on one its big medical brothers (also made by Salter) so I can tell my weight to the ounce I will buy one. Until then this will do nicely thank you. It is a worthy smaller (but by not means little) member of the family of Salter medical-type scales.

Bleach Complete Series 8 (Episodes 152-167) [DVD]
Bleach Complete Series 8 (Episodes 152-167) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Fumiko Orikasa

2.0 out of 5 stars Is Bleach getting washed out?, 27 Dec. 2014
I was a great fan of the early series but I left if for a while when the anime drifted into fairly uninspired side arcs with over-extended fight scenes. Hoping it would return to its earlier form I kept an eye on the reviews and, when I saw how positively this one fared, decided to get back in.

I have never been so disappointed. The original wit, character development, clever storyline and vivid animation has almost entirely gone - to be replaced with, what for me at least, were endless, often repetitive and monotonous fight scenes and distinctly third rate animation. Bleach as I knew it seems only a small part of the current offering (mostly in flashbacks).

By the earlier standards I doubt if the worthwhile material here could be made into any more than two episodes - and even then the overall plot would not be in any way enriched or developed.

I can only imagine that the positive reviews are because the audience has changed (that's not a criticism) and that Bleach is now a fight anime (and reviewed as such) rather one that tells a story.

The characters - and they were real characters - that I knew have met the worst fate possible. They could have got heroically killed, married, got fat and lived happily ever after, gone back to their former lives, enjoyed success and victory: but none of this happened. They just ended up as indistinct and token characters in a world of endless, pointless, boring fights. I will have to write my own alternative ending just to remove this stain from my memory.

MINOR SPOILER WARNING

Rukia, at one point in this story, has to convince herself that her opponent isn't her mentor Kaien (with what success or accuracy you have to find out). For almost all of the box set, for me at least, it isn't the real Rukia either. If you find her grave (I'm not saying she died in the story) please put some flowers on it for me. She might have been insecure, pugnacious and sassy but I miss her. What's left of her compared to the original character isn't worth worrying about.

Sob.

L'lysColors® 7W CREE Q5 LED Zoomable Flashlight Torch Lamp With 14500 Rechargeable Battery + Charger SA3

5.0 out of 5 stars Great torch, mediocre but serviceable charger., 21 Dec. 2014
There's nothing wrong with the torch and batteries (enthusiastically described in other reviews) but the charger definitely has a cheap feel about it. With the adaptor supplied it will work in a normal 13A socket - but it doesn't feel particularly secure and personally I wouldn't leave it on overnight. But the quality of the torch and batteries, the fact that the charger does work properly and the price must get this five stars. Knowing how good the rest of the kit is I would happily pay more for a better charger.

After writing this review I accidentally left the battery charger on overnight and in the morning it was reassuringly stone cold (ie no overheating). The batteries were fully charged. My comments about leaving the charger on overnight might have been unfair.

Sistema Klip It Single Microwave Soup To Go Mug, 656ml, Assorted Colours
Sistema Klip It Single Microwave Soup To Go Mug, 656ml, Assorted Colours
Offered by Jas Household Suppliers Limited

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not leak proof., 21 Dec. 2014
My gripe about this generally good product is that the lid isn't watertight. It might be a good cover to stop most splashes and help keep drinks hot but its just a close-fitting secured cover - not a leak-proof top. The closable vent at the top is necessary because without it the expansion of the hot air at the top of the hot drinks would cause serious leakage if the mug is tipped to the point where the liquid is being held back by the lid.

OK for general use but if you fill this up and and put in a pack or hamper a lot of it will have leaked out by the time you get back to it. Nonetheless my mum finds it makes carrying drinks around the house easier.

5 x One Inch Paint Brushes 1" | 25mm Yorbrush Synthetic Paint Brush Set | Small Brushes
Offered by decoratingsundries

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good quality for the price., 20 Dec. 2014
I bought these as cheap, disposable brushes for general cleaning work to save my good paint brushes but they were so good I found myself reluctant to get these damaged as well. Not Harris quality but still very respectable paint brushes. Despite good quality, still cheap enough to use for rough work.

pink silicone cup lid cover with Hello Kitty topper
pink silicone cup lid cover with Hello Kitty topper

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - But one thing to be aware of., 20 Dec. 2014
I love these. They do an excellent job. A very good range of cute varieties.

On minor hazard to be aware of. They seal so well that if you take the cover off by lifting the tab in the centre the suction can be strong enough to actually lift up a mug full of tea. Always take off by lifting the edge first.

I use my several lids a lot.

Swiss spice Salt and Pepper Set
Swiss spice Salt and Pepper Set
Offered by Coltelleria Lorenzi Milano

5.0 out of 5 stars Ridiculously well made. I love it!, 18 Dec. 2014
I'm sure I read somewhere that this like a Swiss army penknife - far too well made for just cutting stuff. This is the same sort of thing. If you found it in the street you'd thing it was a piece of lab equipment. Its gorgeous. Your grandchildren will probably be using it for something long after salt and pepper had been banned. Its basically a very pleasing acrylic block with NASA quality engineering that, well, holds and sprinkles salt and pepper. I would be pleased to have one to play with even if I hated salt and pepper. You'll be pleased you bought it and never quite know why. And you will start looking for excuses to use it in front of your friends. Just make sure they let you have it back.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12