Profile for Peretz34 > Reviews

Content by Peretz34

Peretz34 "Ginnie" (Penang, Malaysia)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Kindle for Android
Kindle for Android

5.0 out of 5 stars Great app - thanks, Amazon., 1 July 2015
This review is from: Kindle for Android (App)
This is fantastic - I have a Galaxy Note, so the screen is plenty big enough to read when I'm out and about and faced with unexpected delays. I just need to remember to switch the wifi on on my Kindle to update where I am in the book, as it won't sync to the right place if I don't!

Bertie's Bows Grosgrain Ribbon 'Handmade with Love' 16mm on a 3m roll
Bertie's Bows Grosgrain Ribbon 'Handmade with Love' 16mm on a 3m roll
Offered by Bertie's Bows

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely finishing touch., 1 July 2015
A perfect finishing touch for handsewn items that I give as gifts. Will definitely buy again.

Top Trumps - My Little Pony
Top Trumps - My Little Pony
Offered by Souvenirs & Gifts

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic fun!, 1 July 2015
This review is from: Top Trumps - My Little Pony (Toy)
This game has whiled away many hours when I've been travelling with my 6 year-old daughter. She loves them, though gets very upset if someone wins Celestia or Luna from her! Saved us all from a Mummy Meltdown, too, at a particularly busy border crossing from Singapore to Malaysia, when we had to sit in a hot car for two hours.

July's People
July's People

2.0 out of 5 stars July can keep his people, thanks., 1 July 2015
This review is from: July's People (Kindle Edition)
I gave up two thirds of the way through. I wasn't enjoying it at all, but struggled on because we were to discuss it at my reading group... I found the characters repellant (even their names are ghastly), the timescale confusing and much of the imagery and references about Maureen and Bam's bodies unnecessary to the plot. Those of us who made it to the end weren't sure what they'd just read and felt a sense of anticlimax. Frankly grim - one of those 'worthy' books one feels one should read, but doesn't really want to.

Euphoria
Euphoria

5.0 out of 5 stars The title says it all..., 1 July 2015
This review is from: Euphoria (Kindle Edition)
I didn't expect to like 'Euphoria'. I don't like historical novels as a rule, I'm not keen on the 'love triangle' idea and I had to read the first chapter twice. Then it took me in entirely. Beautifully written, with powerfully constructed and utterly convincing characters, an absorbing plotline and one of the best final lines I've read in my life. My reading group loved it and I bought it for my mother-in-law; I think I'll be buying it for many other people in the future.

Atonement
Atonement
by Ian McEwan

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtaking, 1 July 2015
This review is from: Atonement (Paperback)
I've bought this copy for my 18 year-old niece, who's off to Uni to study English - time to introduce her to some of my favourite authors. McEwan is magnificent here, and 'Atonement' has the most devastating, one-line denouement I've ever read - I actually couldn't breathe when I read it! I hope she loves McEwan as much as I do - there are many gems in his repertoire, and this is one of his best.

Ravensburger Disney Frozen Puzzle XXL 100 pieces
Ravensburger Disney Frozen Puzzle XXL 100 pieces

5.0 out of 5 stars Still playing with this after 8 months..., 1 July 2015
This was a big hit. It's a decent size, with nice thick card pieces which are strong and durable. Enough tricky background bits that look similar to keep interest going.

Orchard Toys Magic Cauldron
Orchard Toys Magic Cauldron

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun, but possibly limited shelf life, 1 July 2015
This review is from: Orchard Toys Magic Cauldron (Toy)
Fun game, though I don't know how long it will last before my daughter gets bored with the same sums... She likes making the numbers appear!

The Goldfinch
The Goldfinch

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterful and magnificent, 15 April 2015
This review is from: The Goldfinch (Kindle Edition)
I loved 'The Secret History' and have reread it four or five times; I enjoyed 'The Little Friend' (though have found it less memorable), so I was thrilled when 'The Goldfinch' finally appeared. As a writer learning her craft myself, I am mesmerised by Tartt's beautifully evocative, detailed but never laboured or over-written style. Every word earns its place. The characters are magnificently crafted - I honestly feel as though I would know Boris if I met him on the street! - and Theo's gradual and utterly credible descent into self-destruction is a masterful examination of the human psyche. I was terrified during the Amsterdam section that it would be tied up too neatly, but no, Tartt is a master of her craft, and Theo's slow, redemptive journey back to the light is the perfect ending. I found myself unable to speak about the novel for a week after I'd finished it - I needed time to process, savour and bask in what I had read. After reading it once for pleasure (such pleasure!) and a second time for discussion with my reading group, I will state without compunction that it's one of the most life-affirming and beautiful books I've ever read. I'm sure I'll revisit it many more times in the future.

I'm buying it now for my niece, who's 18 and about to to embark on a Creative Writing degree - an awe-inspiring example of what a writer can achieve.

50 Buff Strung Tags 96mm x 48mm
50 Buff Strung Tags 96mm x 48mm
Offered by Printer Shop Limited

3.0 out of 5 stars All right for the price, 10 Aug. 2014
A bit flimsy, so were a bit bent in transit. Fine for the price as I'll be dressing them up for Christmas gift tags.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5