Profile for I. Waugh > Reviews

Content by I. Waugh

I. Waugh (Gateshead, Tyne and Wear)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Boys From Brazil
The Boys From Brazil
by Ira Levin

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm amazed at all the five-star reviews, 28 Oct. 2014
This review is from: The Boys From Brazil (Paperback)
I'm amazed at all the five-star reviews. It's a decent little novel at best, not brilliantly written, overly short to develop the premise, and a basic story that stretches plausibility to the limit. It's worth reading I guess, but it has many flaws.

Nocs NS400-101 Earphones with Microphone and Remote Control Aluminium Black
Nocs NS400-101 Earphones with Microphone and Remote Control Aluminium Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Very good headphones, but short-lived, 14 Mar. 2014
I looked after these, used them carefully, returned them to a case after use, and the left ear stopped working after about six months. Doesn't seem to be possible to find a long-lasting pair of earphones.

KENWOOD Kmix TTM022 1.25 Litre Toaster - Almond Cream
KENWOOD Kmix TTM022 1.25 Litre Toaster - Almond Cream

5.0 out of 5 stars The toaster of dreams, 6 Feb. 2014
Found it quite hard to track down this toaster and the matching kettle, nobody seems to stock them both.

It's very nice, well made and the peek function is handy. Haven't burned a piece of toast since it arrived! Got to be honest, I haven't a clue what you would use the rack thing for.

Betrayer (The Horus Heresy)
Betrayer (The Horus Heresy)
by Aaron Dembski-Bowden

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the best HH books, but release it earlier please!, 17 Oct. 2013
First the bad. Black Library, please stop delaying the mass market paperback for so long. People who have followed and collected the series since the beginning are the ones missing out because of this. I'm close to giving up completely. I'm not going to start paying double and having the wrong sized book on my shelf just because you want to milk the fans even more.

Also, stop releasing short story collections and stories that don't move the story forward, just to make an extra few quid. Thanks!

That said, this is an excellent HH novel. One of the best, by in my opinion the best writer to work on the series. Lorgar and Angron are maybe two of the more interesting primarchs, and Angron in particular is characterised brilliantly in this book. You will be confused when you being to sypathise with a psychopathic beserker who is massacring everyone in sight.

The book also contains some of the most human and emotional writing to be found in the entire GW canon, and it really works.

BRITA Fill&Go Water Filter Bottle including 4 Filter Discs - Grey
BRITA Fill&Go Water Filter Bottle including 4 Filter Discs - Grey

3.0 out of 5 stars It seems terrible, but then it's quite good!, 1 Aug. 2013
When I first got this bottle, I thought it was a nightmare. Water leaked out of the air inlet, I could only take tiny sips, I had to suck through a straw like a hamster.

But actually, it's not too bad. You will quickly learn how to drink from it (I prefer the straw now), the size and design is very good and it does encourage me to drink more water. You do have to sip quite slowly, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Top tip - suck quite gently and accept that water comes out fairly slowly. It will be a lot more pleasurable to drink from!

Dockem: Damage-Free Smartphone, Tablet, & eReader Wall Mount (white)
Dockem: Damage-Free Smartphone, Tablet, & eReader Wall Mount (white)
Offered by Dockem EU

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't really stick, looks very cheap, 29 July 2013
I wouldn't recommend this product unless you're not worried about design/quality at all. I have found it completely unusable, it didn't stick to the surface even though I carefully cleaned the wall. I looks extremely cheap (the white version).
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 19, 2013 4:36 PM BST

Sonos PLAY:5 Black - The Wireless Hi-Fi (formerly S5)
Sonos PLAY:5 Black - The Wireless Hi-Fi (formerly S5)
Offered by Tektica

3.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic speaker, not very good software, 11 Jan. 2013
The speaker has fantastic sound, and particularly excellent punchy bass for music that requires it. I love the sound, and I have not exchanged the Sonos for another system for that reason. The design and build of the cabinet is also excellent, weighty enough to provide good sound response but small enough to fit most places.

It is loud, in my lounge I never have it above about 30% of the possible volume.

My problem with it is the software, for Mac and iPhone. Not a good design, navigation around music sources (e.g. albums, radio) is not good and the reliability is poor. The software often stops suddenly, skips songs in the queue and moves on from a song before the end. It also doesn't do a good job of pulling album artwork from iTunes.

This might be improved in future releases, and if you are a Windows user who is ready to move to new music software then it might be OK with you.

As a Mac user who is very familiar with (the improving) iTunes system, I use the Sonos speaker with an Airport Express unit to stream content directly from iTunes. Now I can use my computer and phone to control my music seemlessly, without bothering with the Sonos software.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 3, 2013 12:55 PM GMT

Shadows of Treachery (The Horus Heresy)
Shadows of Treachery (The Horus Heresy)
by Christian Dunn

2.0 out of 5 stars I would rather wait..., 14 Nov. 2012
I would rather wait longer between Horus Heresy novels than have these filler collections released. I understand it must be difficult for Black Library/GW to turn down guaranteed profit, but they really need to do better than this.

For me, the short story is not a format that works well within the context of the Horus Heresy. The best books of the series (e.g. Fulgrim) are those that have time to really explore and develop a character. Generally I think the light touch required by a short story is pointless.

On the positive side, there are compelling descriptions of Corax and Conrad Curze/Night Haunter. I haven't come across these primarchs described in any detail before, so they were interesting. The Mechanicum story is also reasonable, although the concept of the Kaban Machine is a bit too far-fetched even for the 40K universe.

The other stories I would rate as pretty poor. The 'Death of a Silversmith' one is basically unreadable, I gave up on it after too many pages of rambling.

Overall I will continue to get the Horus Heresy novels, I am hooked now. But I don't expect anything brilliant from them any more, which is a shame. Maybe the next full-length instalment will get things back on track.

Landing On A Hundred
Landing On A Hundred

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than expected, 7 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Landing On A Hundred (Audio CD)
I first heard Cody on The Roots' 'The Seed 2.0' single... he brought raw rocking soul to that one. Recently I picked up the 'Black Skin, No Value' EP that was also fantastic - this time more conscious and low key.

This album is even better than I expected. It's not just conscious, it's not just R&B. It's true soul music, gets you dancing and singing as well as thinking. It's been a long time since I picked up a new soul album that really blew me a way. This one is it. Get it get it.

Newcastle United 2011/12 Season Review [DVD]
Newcastle United 2011/12 Season Review [DVD]
Offered by Jasuli

3.0 out of 5 stars Great season, average production, 23 Oct. 2012
This DVD is a very enjoyable watch obviously, the season was fantastic.

It could be much more though, with better production, longer highlights and more interviews etc.

You will enjoy it obviously, but a shame they just didn't go a little bit further to create a top-quality production.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3