Profile for D. Bruce > Reviews

Content by D. Bruce

D. Bruce (Edinburgh, Scotland)

Wagner: Orchestral Music
Wagner: Orchestral Music

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful., 22 Nov 2013
For those who like the music but don't want to sit through the whole opera's. Or as an introduction if you want to dip your toe in the waters.

Superstition
Superstition

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely., 22 Nov 2013
This review is from: Superstition (MP3 Download)
Prefer this by far to any of the many other live versions of SRV and even more than SW's original.

Acor Seat Post Clamp With Carrier Bosses: 31.8mm.
Acor Seat Post Clamp With Carrier Bosses: 31.8mm.
Offered by Y Frame Discounts Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Can be adapted., 22 Nov 2013
Used this to clamp a light to the handlebars of my bike; had to force it open and then squeeze it shut. It stood up very well to this mistreatment.

A Memory Of Light: Book 14 of the Wheel of Time
A Memory Of Light: Book 14 of the Wheel of Time

5.0 out of 5 stars An end worth waiting for., 21 April 2013
I was thinking that Rand's end was going to be a resurrection (too CS Lewis!), but needn't have worried. This must be the most exhilarating battle in fiction, ever. Although, given that no general on either side made a total f..k up (as in say, the 'finest' tradition of the British army), it took a fair bit of suspension of disbelief.
If only 5 (opinion varies) of the books hadn't been a load of old pish I'd read them all again tomorrow.

25 Years On
25 Years On

5.0 out of 5 stars Better with age, 3 Aug 2012
This review is from: 25 Years On (Audio CD)
I was a big fan of Hawkwind during the 70's and still have most of the LP's on vinyl, including this, though I never really took to it (other than Psi Power and 25 years). I saw the live tour(Usher Hall)that accompanied the album and thought the sound was a bit jarring. Then having lost interest in Hawkwind in the 80's I think it safe to say I hadn't listened to the whole of 25 Years On in 30 years. Having recently bought a lot of those earlier albums in cd format and read the reviews of 25yo I got this too.

And am I glad I did, the whole record sounds so much crisper and because there's no turning the thing over not disjointed at all. 25yo stands apart from Hawkwind's work and has aged so much better. Robert Calvert may well be one the finest lyricist's this country has ever produced.

All the songs stand on their own and together, the three bonus tracks are a joy too. Haven't made it all the way through the second disc and maybe never will, not that big a fan I suppose.

State Of Play - Complete Series [2003] [DVD]
State Of Play - Complete Series [2003] [DVD]
Dvd ~ John Simm

3.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic until last 20 minutes, 14 Dec 2009
It was only when I saw Russell Crowe being interviewed about the film I realised I had missed this. For the first 5 episodes I was gripped, it was fascinating to watch the case/piece being put together. I was literally on the edge of my seat watching episode 6 expecting/hoping to see an expose of government/establishement/big business and more importantly, how the team would pull it off. But instead I saw a plot cop out: the man who would have been the no.1 suspect turned out to be the culprit. It just doesn't fit. For instance; a Police Inspector is shot in an attempt to assassinate a potential witness by a (presumably) marksman using a rifle with a laser sight. The govt/establishement, who had nothing to do with it, cover it up. I don't think so.
This came so close to being one of the best British drama's ever.