Profile for Mr. Andrew M. Collins > Reviews

Content by Mr. Andrew M. ...

Mr. Andrew M. Collins "eighthtower" (UK)

Zebra curved 100/180 Grit Grey Round Ends
Zebra curved 100/180 Grit Grey Round Ends
Offered by essentialbeautycare

5.0 out of 5 stars Best review 'filed' on Amazon yet!, 21 Jun. 2012
I used to constantly chew my nails - until I lost most of my teeth in an unfortunate bicycle accident last year (I've got two left, but at the back, so can't use them), so have taken to filing them.

I've found the straight variety of nail files don't really get the 'rub' enough - so to find this crescent shaped beauty made my day. It's zinc dual grit, which means - something - but I tell you nail shaving escapades have never been so much fun. The nail dust is carried right off immediately, the implement doesn't wear down - and I've used it up to four hours cumulative a day - both on finger and toe nails - nothing short of superb. And the curve means I can really carve into the cuticle easily. Personally, I don't leave home without it - Ok, sometimes, but that's due to partial amnesia from the aforementioned bike accident.

Empty Used Plastic Sweet Jar with Screw Top Lid (PACK OF 5)
Empty Used Plastic Sweet Jar with Screw Top Lid (PACK OF 5)
Offered by Chocolate Buttons

5.0 out of 5 stars This jar is sweet!, 21 Jun. 2012
I can't tell you how happy I was to have found this item - well, I'll tell you a bit .... very, very, happy! None of my local stores sell used jars - something about health and safety (gone mad!). I actually asked a few of the stores if they could store a few things in a jar for a week or so (nothing greasy, like fast food wrappings or cigarette butts) - maybe some unwanted till receipts, or discarded chewing gum (wrapped up, naturally). Then I would be happy to pay the full amount after the week, as technically it would then be a used item. None agreed! I can't tell you how annoyed I was - well, very, very annoyed!

So to find this on Amazon was something special. I actually use used jars not to store flour, sweets, nail clippings, farts, memories or small bugs - but, get this, to store other jars! I've always wanted some of those Russian dolls, but could never afford them, so I paint used jars up with faces, sometimes unhappy ones, then squeeze them in to a bigger jar. Which I then also paint up.

If anyone wants, I can post some pictures of my jar dolls. I reckon they're pretty good. Can't recommend this jar enough - well, lots and lots! BEST ... JAR ... EVER!

Galileo and 400 Years of Telescopic Astronomy (Astronomers' Universe)
Galileo and 400 Years of Telescopic Astronomy (Astronomers' Universe)
by Peter Grego

5.0 out of 5 stars a fascinating and absorbing book, 31 Jan. 2011
Mannion and Grego have penned an incisive, comprehensive account of the birth of astronomy in ancient times, through to the latest developments of the present and planned scientific endeavours in the future.

Chronologically written, this is a very interesting and well researched book, with a solid scientific background, charting the earliest observations of the night sky, from ancient cultures onwards, and describes the Erasthomeus measurements, the use of astrolabes, the heliocentric theory and the work, theories and discoveries of Tycho, Aristotle, Ptolemaeus, Hipparchus through to the greats - Copernicus, Galileo and Newton.

With the discovery of the telescope came a great slew of astronomical advances as more of the Universe was discovered, the heliocentric theory overturned, and the visible lunar surface mapped. The planets and their moons could be seen, new planets discovered, and the sheer magnitude of the Universe revealed.

Later as science progressed came the birth of astrophotgraphy, mapping of the infra-red spectrum, radio astronomy and ultra-violet and spectral analysis of starlight, enabling scientists to further understand the ever expanding cosmos and the material nature of it.

Also in the book are projects for the amateur astronomer to undertake, which is a great addition, and also useful reference charts, diagrams and many pictures to compliment the text.

I would very much recommend this book as I think it would appeal to the layman, student, amateur and serious astronomer alike - it is not a dense or dull academic tome, rather a concise and fascinating history of telescopic astronomy and its origins, written with a clear passion for the subject matter. Furthermore, there are useful appendixes at the back with web links to astronomical societies and research websites with which to continue pursuing your interest in astronomy.

How To Write Great Screenplays and Get Them Into Production
How To Write Great Screenplays and Get Them Into Production
by Linda James

4.0 out of 5 stars HOW TO WRITE GREAT SCREENPLAYS, 13 May 2009
I am always a little cautious when buying screenwriting guides as most seem to be full on over-complex and confusing information. Linda James' book, however, was one I found to be wonderfully concise, easy to follow and very heartening, especially as I am an aspiring scriptwriter, and the path from writing to selling your script is pretty daunting.

The Chapter 'Techniques to make your script stand out' was especially useful to me, including information on 'foreshadowing' and 'subtext' - critical areas that are often overlooked in similar guides. It's a very positive, encouraging book as well, which has given me the impetuous and ideas to write my first screenplay, confident that her suggestions and techniques will work. It is good to see that the author has her own screenplay in production, so clearly she is on the right track!

Finally, the last section on copyrighting and selling your script is invaluable, providing information on funding, production contacts, who to try to sell to and most importantly, I think, a sample option agreement as it is vital to know and understand the business side of writing, which is half the battle in getting your script sold.

Money well spent - I highly recommend this book. It's concise, easy to assimilate and proactive, and I feel any screenwriter at the start of their career will find this manual invaluable.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 21, 2009 4:21 AM BST