Profile for syd > Reviews

Content by syd

syd (Durham, England)

First2savvv PT-S5-D11 Dual windows Wallet Magnet Design Flip Case Cover for Samsung Galaxy S5 (BLACK)
Offered by First2savvv From HongKong

5.0 out of 5 stars Funky case for a great price, 19 April 2014
I always have my phones in cases for protection as they get jumbled about a bit in my bag, but had forgotten to buy one for the arrival of my new phone. I went by price thinking I'd just get a cheap one for now and look into a more expensive one later when I had time but this one covers all bases for me.

I got the blue/green version and it looks very snazzy, plus it came with a screen cleaning cloth and a screen protector. I won't be storing cards inside but the slots are handy for storing the cleaning cloth. (The fingerprint issue is a real bugbear for me with touchscreens!)

The case fits the phone perfectly, all slots accessible, and closes with a magnetic clasp. It also cleverly folds to make a stable screen stand for hands free video viewing. Very pleased with it!

Netgear Universal Wi-Fi Internet Adapter
Netgear Universal Wi-Fi Internet Adapter

2.0 out of 5 stars Not (currently) compatible with Livebox router, 6 Feb 2012
I'm adding this review in case it's helpful for another Livebox user!

I bought this gadget to use with my Humax Freesat PVR, so that I could connect it to the internet wirelessly and stream iPlayer and the like. However although i could get it to connect to the Livebox itself, there was no internet connection. I discovered that the current firmware (version 1.0.0.26) has a bug which leaves it unable to connect to the internet through Livebox routers. See the following from the Netgear support pages:

Known Issues & Bugs
1. Can't connect to internet if WNCE2001 connects to Orange Livebox mini (DSL router) directly.
Workaround: Use another router to connect to Livebox mini and let WNCE2001 to connect to this new router, then you can use WNCE2001 to go to internet without any problem.

The suggested workaround may be an option if you have a spare router lying around, but I don't so I'm returning mine and I'll keep looking for one that is truly universal!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 7, 2012 12:42 PM GMT

Doctor Who Tardis USB 4 Port Powered Hub Station
Doctor Who Tardis USB 4 Port Powered Hub Station
Offered by Real Merch

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks fab on my desk!, 1 Aug 2006
I have a few gadgets that I've tried to plug into my regular non-powered USB hub and it causes an 'overload on USB' error message, so I bought this powered one to see if that fixes the problem and it does!

You can use the TARDIS as a non-powered hub as well by just plugging it into your USB port and not using the power supply it comes with.

When you plug it into the USB port on your computer, the blue light on the top lights up and when you plug anything into the TARDIS itself, it makes the 'dematerialisation' noise and the light slowly flashes on and off. There is a button on the back to switch the sound off if it's getting on your nerves but mine will stay switched on....I half expect it to disappear when I plug things into it ;)

A fun addition to your desktop.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 9, 2011 12:51 PM BST

Doctor Who Tenth Doctor Sonic Screwdriver LED Torch
Doctor Who Tenth Doctor Sonic Screwdriver LED Torch
Offered by scificollectorshop

4.0 out of 5 stars Practical torch, great for the WHO fan!, 1 Aug 2006
I already have the UV light sonic screwdriver toy which I love but find it a bit on the large side (I read that it had to be slightly bigger than the real thing to accomodate the pen nib).

This one is the perfect size though! Much more like the size of the TV one and the light is very bright, so it's not just for show - it really does function very well as a torch although it gives everything an eerie blue glow...very sci-fi!

To compare again to the UV light sonic screwdriver, that one can be extended whereas this one can't - what you see is what you get. In all though a great little piece of Doctor Who memorabilia and practical to boot!

The Sims
The Sims

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun, but time consuming, 21 July 2000
This review is from: The Sims (Video Game)
I found this game thoroughly addictive, which is both a plus and a minus. It's addictive because it's fun - there's no real goal, except to keep your sims happy, and it's customisable. You can make your sims wear any clothes that you want to design for them, and you can download add-ons from the sims website. (watch out for that guinea pig though, it's a killer!) You can make your own wallpaper and flooring too. However, this is all so time-consuming that you would need to clone yourself to spend as much time as you want with the game.
All in all a brilliant game and I love it, but it does tend to take over your life..... (but I can't wait for the expansion pack to be released)