Profile for Carl Chambers > Reviews

Content by Carl Chambers

Carl Chambers (Brighton, England)

Page: 1 | 2
Hearing Her Voice: A Case for Women Giving Sermons (Fresh Perspectives on Women in Ministry)

5.0 out of 5 stars thought provoking book by a brother not afraid to ask hard but important questions about the way we read the bible., 12 Jun. 2014
This is a book which challenges certain long held assumptions in the conservative evangelical church.
That's a good thing, as it's right that assumptions be challenged.
This empathetic book does it well (though I'm looking forward to reading others' comments on this, including a formal response that I've heard of somewhere).
I appreciated John Dickson's tone, and respectful exegesis. People may disagree, but we do not want to divide over what I think John shows is something a faithful brother can conclude from scripture.
I'm glad to have this book to hand, and will recommend it to others.

Washed and Waiting: Reflections on Christian Faithfulness and Homosexuality(Deckled Edge) by Hill, Wesley (2010)
by Wesley Hill

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb book, 24 Mar. 2014
This is an excellent book for anyone seeking to please God in their life, by finding contentment in Him and obeying his word.
It is biblically faithful and pastorally practical - reliable throughout out.
Whilst written by someone who has same-sex attraction, it is highly relevant for anyone seeking to live with the tension of devotion to God and struggles in this world: an unhappy marriage? suffering unjustly? single and struggling? This book will be a tonic for your soul and strength to your life.

TeckNet@ Google Nexus 10 Leather case / cover With Built-in Magnet for Sleep/Wake Feature - Sky Blue

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite good, 1 April 2013
Good product. Quite flimsy case but strong enough to protect my Nexus and to create a stand when I am using it. Great value for money!

Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500 Document Scanner
Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500 Document Scanner

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant, 20 Feb. 2013
This is an excellent product which I would buy again if and when I needed to. I've had it about six weeks, and reckon I already have had my money's worth. I wish I'd got this earlier!

Having just scanned about 7 metres of double sided notes from files, I can say that it is happy with working hard. It does what you want it to.
My papers were of various types of quality, thickness, colour - some were 20 years old (notes from studies I've done which I wanted to keep). It handled them all admirably.

There are quibbles, but I am sure those are down to me / the paper / etc. So here are my quibbles:
- when you don't take the staples out of paper, it gets jammed (my fault!) : but unjamming is easy
- when you put a 'full' stack of papers in to the holder, it doesn't seem perfectly happy (ie it can get jammed) : the solution is simple - don't put a full stack of papers unless they are 'clean' . If your paper is old or likely to stick together, then you may find yourself feeding the sheets in for a while. That is not a problem since I don't think I did it for more than 5% of the time, and much of my paper was 15 years old.

It is fast and accurate. It is easy to unjam. The software is fine (though I've yet to try everything). The filing system in the software is handy - it gives you automatic numbering of sequential files.

Whilst the paper feeder can take probably only about 25 pages of the paper I've been using, I would imagine with crisp new photocopy paper it could do more. If you keep feeding it, then it keeps scanning - the largest document I did had 500 pages. (I guess that's down to processor speed and RAM too).

I also bought the Fujitsu scanner cleaning kit, am my only comment here is that I didn't need to use it as much as I thought I would.

Delphis Eco Xfactor Cleaner 750ml (P&P £7.20 up to 20ltrs)
Delphis Eco Xfactor Cleaner 750ml (P&P £7.20 up to 20ltrs)

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely superb, 20 Sept. 2012
The X-factor really is the X-factor top of the range, something extraordinary for removing difficult 'stuff'.
Highly recommended, and good for the environment too.
An essential for any location where thehighest level of cleanliness matters.

Delphis Eco Limescale Remover 1ltr (P&P £7.20 up to 20ltrs)
Delphis Eco Limescale Remover 1ltr (P&P £7.20 up to 20ltrs)
Offered by Delphis Eco

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant - and good for the environment too, 20 Sept. 2012
We used to use vinegar to remove lime scale - it was the only thing that worked properly.
It works but is, of course, terrible for the environment and the pH of the water supply / drainage.

Delphis Eco limescale remover works at least as well, if not better - and has none of the nasty side effects for the water supplies and vinegar smells in the house.

We won't be buying vinegar again for cleaning (but it's still nice on chips!)

Delphis Eco Daily Use Toilet Cleaner 1ltr (P&P £7.20 up to 20ltrs)
Delphis Eco Daily Use Toilet Cleaner 1ltr (P&P £7.20 up to 20ltrs)

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Eco friendly toilet cleaner, 20 Sept. 2012
Suffice to say, this is brilliant.
I have always preferred Eco friendly products, but my wife has been concerned about quality.

Finally we have a product which my wife says is better than anything else we have used - and that's lots of products.

Highly recommended in every respect.

TONY ANTHONY - TAMING THE TIGER
TONY ANTHONY - TAMING THE TIGER
Offered by barnardp2003

1.0 out of 5 stars the trouble is - how much is true?, 29 May 2012
Having read the book, and met Tony in person, I'm left with far too many questions. Have a look at: [...] for instance.

The Difficult Doctrine of the Love of God
The Difficult Doctrine of the Love of God
by D A Carson

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 22 Dec. 2011
There are five ways in which God's love is described in the Bible.
I used this book as the basis of some teaching in church recently, and found that even mature Christians were taught and challenged.
From providing deep reassurance to the Christian, to encouraging and motivating concern for those who don't yet know Jesus - this book is well worth the read.
Yet another excellent contribution to any Christian's library from Dr Carson.

HP LaserJet M2727nf All-in-One Printer (Print, Scan, Copy, Fax)
HP LaserJet M2727nf All-in-One Printer (Print, Scan, Copy, Fax)

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 22 Dec. 2011
this was taken to a Caribbean island where it is used intensively
all the feedback is that it is excellent
would definitely buy again if needed

Page: 1 | 2