Profile for John Firrell > Reviews

Content by John Firrell

John Firrell "Vintage Stock" (Dorset, UK)

What Has Nature Ever Done For Us?: How Money Really Does Grow On Trees
What Has Nature Ever Done For Us?: How Money Really Does Grow On Trees
by Tony Juniper
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars This should be mandatory reading for all, 1 April 2013
It doesn't matter if you believe in climate change and/or global warming, this book by Tony Juniper must be read by all - certainly by school children, and then perhaps given away free to the nation. If you ever wantedd to know what damage we are doing to the planet - forget for a moment CO2 emissions and carbon footprints - just in the way we live and treat our environment to the point if we don't change our habits the environment that sustains us, i.e. life, will not be there. Tony's book spells it out for all to understand. It does not paint a pretty picture but it does need to be said.

Composer
Composer
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 10.76

4.0 out of 5 stars True to the Title, 24 Feb 2012
This review is from: Composer (Audio CD)
I bought this CD on spec in the belief I would enjoy both the music and the story behind it. I was not disappointed. The music is enjoyable, exhibits great charm and tells a story. The man is multi-talented and deserves great praise.

War Horse
War Horse
Price: 10.36

4.0 out of 5 stars Story & Music in perfect harmony, 24 Feb 2012
This review is from: War Horse (Audio CD)
This is John Williams at his best. It is an excellent film with master storyteller Speilberg wringing out every emotion available and when the film finished there was spontaneous applause in the cinema. The music is an integral part of the film emphasising the drama, the horror of war, the sadness of life and death interspersed with occasional lighter moments. After seeing the film I went straight out and bought the music.

Rhydian
Rhydian
Offered by Lifes Essentials
Price: 5.44

5.0 out of 5 stars Savour & Nurture this Unique Talent, 5 Dec 2008
This review is from: Rhydian (Audio CD)
Despite not being in the first bloom of youth my wife and I watched X Factor and endured the mediocre in order to appreciate the unique talent of Rhydian. The injustice of the final result was and remains inexplicable but hey ho we now have his debut CD to savour, and what a debut!

Other reviewers have talked about the number of plays they have given the CD and we are no exception. I hope Rhydian with careful and sympathetic management will be around for many years to come. Astute song selection will be the key and not to go too poppy. There are enough excellent songs out there, Josh Groban is the perfect example, so Rhydian see us into our dotage. You are a talent to be nurtured and savoured. Talent has regained the high ground.