Profile for G. Mutlu > Reviews

Content by G. Mutlu

G. Mutlu "deephalo" (Amsterdam)

Sophie The Giraffe Original Teether in Blister Pack (White)
Sophie The Giraffe Original Teether in Blister Pack (White)
Offered by green child of mine

5.0 out of 5 stars My daughter's favourite toy so far, 16 July 2014
My daughter's favourite toy so far. She bites every cm of it and talks to it very eagerly. It is the number one toy to take everywhere. Watching her is hilarious. I'm planning to buy one more in case we lose it. I wash it in the dishwasher and it still squeaks (trick is to put the hole facing down or cover it completely so that water doesn't go inside).

The Original McKenzie Lumbar Roll - D-Shaped (Packaging Varies)
The Original McKenzie Lumbar Roll - D-Shaped (Packaging Varies)

1.0 out of 5 stars Too big to use and waste of money, 8 July 2013
I bought it to support my back but it is very big and it pushes me to the forward. If you really want this product find a local store to try out otherwise you may also waste money like I did.

Mashup Patterns: Designs and Examples for the Modern Enterprise
Mashup Patterns: Designs and Examples for the Modern Enterprise

2.0 out of 5 stars That wasn't what I expected., 27 Feb. 2011
What I saw through out this book is that it doesn't go further than you can do these things in order to promote your business this way. Is it too bad? No, of course not. It is highly useful for business world in order to understand what they can do with the technologies. It can be useful for technical people as well if they have no idea what mashup means so that they can learn why mashups are used. However being a technical person I didn't see a real use of this book for my technical skills. For example, the book explains a pattern called "Infinite Monkey" which is not new at all and the author gives examples where it can be used but skipped the "how" part. I believe "where" is usually asked by business people and "how" is asked by technical people. It is a great source for project managers or people who are between business and IT to understand the possibilities but if you think that it's a technical book and you can get answers to your "how" questions, I would say don't spend your money on this book.

Refactoring to Patterns (Addison-Wesley Signature Series)
Refactoring to Patterns (Addison-Wesley Signature Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book - my review is mostly for Kindle edition., 16 Dec. 2010
This is the book where theory meets practice. I enjoyed the structure of the book and I highly recommend this book to anyone who doesn't have a complete understanding where & how to use design patterns. It is true that code samples were written in Java but it is not a big problem at all for developers who use other languages because samples are easy to follow for anyone who can follow pseudo-code.

Notes about the Kindle edition:

I do not have the hardcover edition so I cannot compare them but the Kindle edition had some flaws in code samples. Joshua Kerievsky over-lined the code which is needed to be removed and used bold text to make the newly added code clearly visible. I think it is a very good formatting to understand what is going on while refactoring but in the Kindle edition of this book, some code lines were not over-lined although those lines were needed to be removed or some code lines were not bold although those lines were added newly. However it was not a huge problem because to understand each refactoring you need to study all of them one by one and while doing so, it is not difficult to understand what is going on in the code.

Duragadget Genuine Leather Case & Cover With Stand for Kindle 3 - Black
Duragadget Genuine Leather Case & Cover With Stand for Kindle 3 - Black
Offered by GADGETPLUSUK

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cover for great price!, 12 Dec. 2010
I was looking for a cover which can stand as well. Amazon's own cover doesn't do that so I decided to go with this one.

I'm very happy with my purchase because

- the leather feels good,
- inner part is hard and the cover edges are protective enough for accidental drops,
- it stands which gives you a hands-free reading experience with an adjustable angle (I really like this part because when I read technical books I refer to books while working on the PC.),
- and the magnetic closing part works nicely.

This is a simple, working and cheap solution. I recommend it highly.

Lowepro CompuTrekker Plus AW Backpack for DSLR and Laptop - Black
Lowepro CompuTrekker Plus AW Backpack for DSLR and Laptop - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Good if you have lots of lenses or want to use it as a hand luggage., 27 Aug. 2008
If you have a few lenses and want to use it on daily basis, this may not be the best bag for you because it's really really big. I bought it for this purpose and I was disappointed with its size. It's too big that from Ireland to UK, I had to pay 30 Euros to return so I decided to keep.

However I'm giving 4 starts because it can be very good for different purposes. I can say it's good if you have a lot of lenses and go out with all of them or if you need a hand luggage which carries your equipment and laptop when traveling.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 9, 2010 2:25 PM BST

Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs with a Film or Digital Camera
by Bryan Peterson

5.0 out of 5 stars Definetly a Great Book for Learners., 27 Aug. 2008
If you're new to digital photography or you think that you don't know the basics about exposure, which is very important for good pictures, you should definitely buy this book. I learned a lot about its theory. However it doesn't only tell about the theory itself but also gives practical tips and tricks, which help you understand how some wonderful pictures are taken. There are some exercises Bryan Peterson suggests doing and I found them very useful. Even if you are not able to do everything he says at the time of reading, there are pictures which show the results. So you can take it with you and read on the bus.

It almost tells about everything but if you need a night or low light photography book it only tells about it a few pages. So if I feel I need more information about it, I would buy a different book.

I'm very glad to buy it and it'll be always a good reference for me.

If you're advanced photographer, you should already know about exposure and you should already take most of your pictures with correct exposures. So this is not a book for you.