Profile for Angela > Reviews

Content by Angela

Angela "Mrs. Shrek" (Surrey)

Motorola Moto G Premium TPU Hydro Gel Case Cover included Screen Protector and Polishing Cloth Capacitive Stylus Pen
Offered by MGT Group
Price: 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars On my case, 21 July 2014
Great value. Still going strong.

Massive Boston Outdoor Wall Light Black (Requires 1 x 60 Watts E27 Bulb)
Massive Boston Outdoor Wall Light Black (Requires 1 x 60 Watts E27 Bulb)
Price: 21.13

5.0 out of 5 stars Lights up my life, 21 July 2014
Great product, bought three and they work very well.

Chrome Cross Rest Head
Chrome Cross Rest Head
Price: 6.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Want a rest?, 21 July 2014
This review is from: Chrome Cross Rest Head (Misc.)
Great quality product at low price.

6 Cue Wooden Rack & Clips, Mahogany
6 Cue Wooden Rack & Clips, Mahogany
Price: 9.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 21 July 2014
Looks good and does the job. Grips are plastic, so I hope they don't snap. Doing fine so far though.

Chrome Spider Rest Head
Chrome Spider Rest Head
Price: 6.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Right on cue, 21 July 2014
This review is from: Chrome Spider Rest Head (Misc.)
Great quality at a low price. Very pleased with this product.

Creative Bottle Cooler in Natural Ice for Self-Design
Creative Bottle Cooler in Natural Ice for Self-Design
Offered by Ice Concepts
Price: 21.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great talking piece at the dinner table, 29 Sep 2013
I bought this for my husband and he loves it so much he wants to order one for his sister for Christmas.

Thailand: the Beautiful Cookbook: Authentic Recipes from the Regions of Thailand
by Panurat Poladitmontri
Price: 29.84

4.0 out of 5 stars I love this book!, 2 Oct 2009
This book is truly beautiful, if a little large for most cookbook stands. I feel like laminating every page to protect it from the inevitable splashes it can suffer in the kitchen. I wanted a truly authentic cookbook and having read the reviews, I bought this from Amazon a few years back, adding it to my ridiculously large collection of cookbooks.
Reading it inspired me to go out and buy a whole range of exotic ingredients I'd never even heard of before (I ended up filling an entire box full of the stuff, which delighted the keeper of the ethnic ingredients shop I'd found).
Every time we feel like eating Thai food, out comes the box of goodies and this book - we are NEVER disappointed. I have to say I think the Chang Mai curry is my favourite so far, a recipe I regularly go back to, but there hasn't been a dish I've made from this book that we've disliked yet.
As well as being an invaluable addition to any cookbook collection (definately amongst my top ten all time favourites), it contains absolutely stunning photography that I find myself browsing through when I should really be reading the recipes. It is also very informative about the various regions and food influences of Thailand, so if, like me, you create the occasional Thai banquet to impress at a dinner party, you'd be able to speak with some knowledge when the inevitable 'foodie' questions begin.
I have two other of the cookbooks in this 'Beautiful' range (Italy and China), but this one is definately my favourite of the three. If I were asked if I had any criticism to make, I'd say it's an awkward size for use in the kitchen, but this only serves to add to the book's overall elegance, so don't let that put you off.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Let me save you the bother., 2 Oct 2009
As an avid cook, I have bought many electronic salt and pepper mills over the years. Whilst, in general, the salt mills tend to work, I find the pepper mills are rarely up to the job (the peppercorn regularly clog up the grinding mechanisms).
I had purchased several of the 'one touch' products before (automatic can opener, automatic jar opener and automatic cheese grinder) and been very happy with them, so when their duo electronic salt and pepper mill came on the market, I wondered whether to give it a try. 'It won't work', said my husband, 'they never do.' But I trusted the brand so I went ahead and bought one anyway.
On unpacking the grinder, I instantly wondered why the battery compartment was so fiddly. This is a product that most people would buy for someone with poor hand mobility, so having to battle with a tiny phillips screwdriver every time the batteries need changing isn't ideal. Taking the battery cover off was hard enough, but I found that having installed the batteries, it was even more difficult to replace it (the screw-holes need to be aligned very carefully to ensure the screws can be tightened properly). Once done however, I filled the bottom compartment peppercorns and the top with salt (as per the picture on the box) and eagerly pressed the button.
The salt mill worked perfectly, that is until I tipped the mill over to try grinding some pepper. Almost instantly the mechanism clogged up with peppercorns (all the others I'd bought at least had the decency to actually grind some pepper first). Then, because both of the mill shafts run off the same motor, the salt mechanism also refused to turn, leaving me with nothing coming out of the grinder at all.
I emptied out the peppercorns, cleared the blockage, refilled and tried again. Exactly the same thing happened. I tried twisting the knob at the bottom of the mill to adjust the courseness of the pepper to see whether that would help, not only was the knob extremely difficult to turn, but when I eventually managed to do so, it had no effect whatsoever. For a second time I emptied and unblocked the peppercorns, only to have the same thing happen again.
So, much as it pains me to admit it, my husband was right - it doesn't work. Had there already been any reviews on this, I wouldn't have wasted my time buying it. It is for this reason I felt compelled to write a review (even though on this occasion I didn't purchase it from Amazon). Needless to say I'll be returning it to the shop I did buy it from and asking for a full refund.

Real Food
Real Food
by Nigel Slater
Price: 10.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Real Food - No messing about, 28 Feb 2006
This review is from: Real Food (Paperback)
Nigel who???
That is what I thought to myself when I first began watching Nigel Slater on television. I may have never heard of the man before but it didn't take long to see why he deserved his own T.V. series. Mouthwatering dishes were produced one by one before my eyes in such a relaxed and easy manner that my arm positively ached due to constantly scribbling down the recipes. Enough is enough I decided, and instantly tracked down and purchased the 'Real Food' book.
Mr Slater writes very much as he speaks; he is obviously very passionate about food and yet with him there are no frills, no messing about, just great food. Truly great food!!
I absolutely love the pieces that he has written in amongst the recipes, where he talks about the various foods he has included, ranging from the chip butty (do not underestimate this) to 'garlic scallops' and way beyond.
I'm told by a friend (who is married to a french man) that cooking a camembert would be sacriledge to the French. What a challenge! I'd already tried Nigels recipe for 'Camembert baked in a box', and couldn't see how anyone could possibly dislike it. I persuaded my friend to surrender her Camembert in the name of science then set about preparing it a la Monsieur Slater. We all watched her husbands highly dubious face with great interest as we presented the dish as a starter to our meal. He tentatively dunked his first bit of bread into the bubbling oozing cheese, and gradually his expression turned from horror to confusion to thoughtfulness and finally to delight. He almost splintered the box trying to scrape the last dregs out of it and insisted I give him the recipe so he could try it out on his family! I have since tried many of the recipes from this book, a particular favourite of mine is the 'Pasta with spicy sausage, bazil and mustard', it is incredibly easy and yet so tasty that my tongue is actually tingling as I am typing about it. Another superb one is the rather impressive (and yet still amazingly easy) 'Baked goats cheese in pastry'. I could go on and on, but instead I will simply say that this man has arrived at the top of my list of favourite chefs, and this book is one of the most treasured in my rather extensive culinary library. I have already asked my husband to buy me another of Nigel Slaters books ('Appetite') for my birthday, and if it's even half as good as 'Real Food' I'll still be totally delighted.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 18, 2008 10:59 AM BST